Topic: Lemons Rally FAQ? Experienced Apply Within

Looking for some Q&A's.

Are we able to participate in the Concours d'Lemons on the 19th of Aug?  (Provided our Jalop makes the trip.)

When do you get the Rally schedule?

Do you typically book hotels in advance or on the fly?

Any other experience related tips for the first timers?

Re: Lemons Rally FAQ? Experienced Apply Within

I have not run the event, but I'm planning on this summer.

It's my understanding that as long as you don't 'splode, you will be back for Concours d'Lemons.

You'll get the schedule at some point.

You can book hotels in advance or wing it, sleep in the car, camp, whatever. I think there are official hotels used as rally points. You don't need to stay there, but it is just that much easier if you do.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

Are we able to participate in the Concours d'Lemons on the 19th of Aug?  (Provided our Jalop makes the trip.)

The Rally finishes at the Concours d'Lemons. I believe there was a "Rally" section of the Concours.

When do you get the Rally schedule?

If you mean the list of overnight stops, you should get an email from Rally Boss Steve at some point after signing up. You can also email Steve directly (Steve@24hoursoflemons.com) for more on that.

If you mean the Rally Book with all the checkpoints, you get that at registration.

Do you typically book hotels in advance or on the fly?

The message from Steve will include the list of host hotels that you can book in advance. You don't have to stay at them, but you'll find other rally participants at them in all likelihood.

Check out the registration page here.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

4 (edited by mharrell 2017-05-19 10:18 AM)

therood wrote:

The Rally finishes at the Concours d'Lemons. I believe there was a "Rally" section of the Concours.

That is indeed what happened last year and I believe that's the plan this year as well. All rally participants gain automatic entrance into the Cd'L so there's no need to carry along a separate vehicle on the rally just to have something to put into the concours. This should not be taken as discouragement from doing so anyway, of course.

The Hotness wrote:

Any other experience related tips for the first timers?

(1) Having at least one co-driver would be a good idea.

(2) Polaroid film doesn't work properly at high temperatures.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Other tips:
- At least one codriver is highly recommended. I could get into the reasons if you want, but they are MANY.

- If any of the overnight stops are in major cities, make sure you at least check hotel availability in advance. With Memphis, there happened to be a giant Garth Brooks concert in town the same night. Every hotel in the city was booked solid. Some people who were traveling by the seat of their pants ended up driving 150 miles to the next morning's first stop and getting hotels there.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Yea, last time I didn't book hotels, and wound up staying in Arkansas on the Memphis night. The first one, and this one I pre-booked.

And from experience. If you're going to find a co-driver or Navigator that you don't know, properly vet this individual. Trust me on this one.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Shvd_Box wrote:

And from experience. If you're going to find a co-driver or Navigator that you don't know, properly vet this individual. Trust me on this one.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/xenoblade/images/9/92/He%27s_right_you_know.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150320192210

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Excellent information!  I appreciate it and could help others that are interested.

(Curious about that poloroid film tho...hmmm.)
I am all registered up, and completely excited and stupidfied at the idiocracy of this debacule.

Anybody have a good contingency plan for the, "whoops I threw a rod out of the engine block and am now stuck in the middle of nowhere" senario?

The Hotness wrote:

Anybody have a good contingency plan for the, "whoops I threw a rod out of the engine block and am now stuck in the middle of nowhere" senario?

Utility knife, aluminum can, hose clamp, a shit ton of JB Weld (the quick-set type), and a spare oil change with filter? Maybe a spare oil pan gasket if you wanna be super fancy and clean out all the shrapnel.

Or a good set of tow chains.

The Hotness wrote:

(Curious about that poloroid film tho...hmmm.)

We're expected to document our achievements [sic] via digital photos posted to Facebook to verify we made it to the checkpoints. I don't have a Facebook account, nor a smartphone, nor indeed any kind of cell phone, so this would have been awkward. I asked if it was okay for me instead to shoot Polaroids and submit them each evening for inspection. I suspect mostly because he didn't think I'd actually do it, Steve agreed to this. Death Valley was unkind to the film, however:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8833/28585835143_a1b337ca54.jpg

Fortunately the remaining stock was fine once the ambient temperature fell to not-Death-Valley conditions.

It's my understanding that Polaroids won't be accepted this year, so now I'm not certain how to proceed.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

11 (edited by Shvd_Box 2017-05-22 12:57 PM)

The Hotness wrote:

$700 in cash, a way to access Craigslist from the road, and a transport plate. Then apply fire liberally to the offending vehicle

Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon

Shvd_Box wrote:

Then apply fire liberally to the offending vehicle

This may be among the reasons that Lemons HQ wants to see real paperwork connecting each rally vehicle to someone. If it's plated and insured in your name, you can be found.

The solution, therefore, is to know in advance where to find, and how to deal with, every occurrence of the VIN and/or serial number on the vehicle. In general this is easier with older vehicles, which are worth more rally points anyway. Win-win.

I apologize for the sarcasm of that being lost via the internet

one of the cars last year (swamp thing) got hauled around to most of the rally, on a uhaul trailer, by a uhaul van. They had fun, even brought it to the finish at the Concours.

I doubt I would do that, though. Lots of work.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

If you question the holding power of your hood latch at anything over 45 mph, secure it, or be prepared to kick out your windshield, or drive 150+ miles looking through a spider web wondering if it will fold in and envelop your soft supple flesh.

Ask me how I know.

Regarding the Concours d'Lemons at the end of the rally, the Rally cars were displayed last year in a separate, dirt lot, next door to the actual Concours. So not many Concours attendees saw our grimy piles of crap. I'd recommend figuring out a way around this, if you really want to show off your turd. But be warned, most of the cars in the Concours are shiny. Your car will not be shiny.

nixiebunny wrote:

...the Rally cars were displayed last year in a separate, dirt lot, next door to the actual Concours. So not many Concours attendees saw our grimy piles of crap.

From what I understood in talking with Alan, the guy who runs the Cd'L, the original plan was to have the rally cars park along the curb on the street directly in front of the show field for greater visibility but (a) they failed to secure the spots early enough, so everyone else started parking there and (b) there probably wouldn't have been enough room anyway. I have no idea what's planned for this year.

squirrel wrote:

one of the cars last year (swamp thing) got hauled around to most of the rally, on a uhaul trailer, by a uhaul van. They had fun, even brought it to the finish at the Concours.

Wow! And very expensive to boot!

The Hotness wrote:
squirrel wrote:

Wow! And very expensive to boot!

Yeah, I've never met anyone as determined to reach the finish line as that couple. Nice folks. I woulda thrown in the towel during the first round of mortal engine issues...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

The above statement about codrivers... yeah. I did all the driving last august. 6500 miles in 13 days including driving there and back. It... wasn't great.
As far as other things? Well, in order to win, you're going to need something super awesome that breaks down a ton or otherwise causes you troubles, or something awesome that doesn't break down much and you hit ALL the checkpoints. Every single one of the them. Maybe grab a Waffle House sign along the way.

Booking hotels in advance will work. After shelling out for some of them *coughsantacoughcruzcough* walmart parking lots look very attractive to me. I slept in three of them on the way to/from the Retreat from Moscow. Also a car wash. And a couple actual rest stops... in NoDak, in January/february... at -30. Hotels are nice...

21 (edited by Red0ktober 2017-06-16 08:43 AM)

The Hotness wrote:

AAA membership, the one with the 200 mile tow. And the Rally is taking me somewhat near home so I can always get towed there and swap cars. cool

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

I am planning on doing the rally again this summer, but due to other obligations I won't know for sure until about four weeks ahead of time.  As a result I am hesitant to fully sign up and pay, but I'd still like that email from Steve with more of the rally details.  I emailed him about a week ago asking him to shoot me a copy, but it hasn't come (he's probably far too busy organizing the rally).  Would someone else be willing to forward me a copy of theirs? 

I was in the gold Jag last year, but the car I'll be in this year is about as orthogonal to the Jag as possible.

Orthogonal?  Good Lord.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Shvd_Box wrote:
The Hotness wrote:

$700 in cash, a way to access Craigslist from the road, and a transport plate. Then apply fire liberally to the offending vehicle

Best.  Advice.  Ever.

Shvd_Box wrote:
The Hotness wrote:

That's one of the co-drivers many duties; keep a running list of hoopties and parts stores.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.