Re: Lemony Cheap DIY Arduino Remote Telemetry

yovo wrote:

I built a prototype system using two buttons and two LEDs - red for PIT NOW! and green for READY TO RACE. I may also add a yellow or blue LED to alert the driver to look out for something unusual.

I haven't played with the cellular radio yet, but my plan is to use SMS as the primary communication method from the car to the team. This will allow all team members to be alerted without needing any special software.

We have the exact same setup- green (OK), yellow (heads up, check your gauges/call in on radio), red (pull over ASAP and kill the engine).

I might have to think about SMS expansion. The serial interface allows high data rates and is simple, but I expect obstructions will cut out data on the back half of tracks. I figure since the driver is being warned with the status LEDs, the updates as the car comes around every lap will let the folks in the pits see gradual changes that are adverse, i.e. oil pressure degrading or temperature climbing.

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner

CarburetorIHardlyKnowHer wrote:
yovo wrote:

I built a prototype system using two buttons and two LEDs - red for PIT NOW! and green for READY TO RACE. I may also add a yellow or blue LED to alert the driver to look out for something unusual.

I haven't played with the cellular radio yet, but my plan is to use SMS as the primary communication method from the car to the team. This will allow all team members to be alerted without needing any special software.

We have the exact same setup- green (OK), yellow (heads up, check your gauges/call in on radio), red (pull over ASAP and kill the engine).

I might have to think about SMS expansion. The serial interface allows high data rates and is simple, but I expect obstructions will cut out data on the back half of tracks. I figure since the driver is being warned with the status LEDs, the updates as the car comes around every lap will let the folks in the pits see gradual changes that are adverse, i.e. oil pressure degrading or temperature climbing.

For Red, consider putting in a horn.
if the situation is dire (loss of oil pressure), shouldn't you PUSH notification to the driver to shut things down vs waiting for the driver to glance over at the lights (POLLING)?

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

My https://www.lairdtech.com/products/cl4490-series has showed up. NJMP in 6 days, there is a slim chance.

Any radio people going to NJMP? I can use some in-person advice about my setup.

gunn wrote:
CarburetorIHardlyKnowHer wrote:
yovo wrote:

For Red, consider putting in a horn.
if the situation is dire (loss of oil pressure), shouldn't you PUSH notification to the driver to shut things down vs waiting for the driver to glance over at the lights (POLLING)?

-g

An audible alarm is also in the works. I currently have the horn hard wired to the coolant level switch, but could easily have the arduino control the relay that drives it for anything of our choosing.

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner

This is a site I get a lot of Arduino stuff from for cheap: https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Elec … -1091.html  (I really wish you could filter out the spinners...sigh)

Shipping is free but takes 3-4 weeks typically.  I have actually wanted to come up with a device like this for a while but never got around to it.  I really just wanted a few lights to indicate that a new driver was ready in the hot pits to avoid pitting at the wrong time.  But first I need to come up with a wiper control to get them to park properly.