Topic: The seat

Looking around the rules, the seat regulations baiscally say bucket seat that are not plastic molded. and there is seatback  brace note.
What about seat rating. FIA/SFI, expiration?

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Re: The seat

kakarot1232001 wrote:

Looking around the rules, the seat regulations baiscally say bucket seat that are not plastic molded. and there is seatback  brace note.
What about seat rating. FIA/SFI, expiration?

General Driver's Seat Regs. Driver's seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece, purpose-built racing seats with properly located, factory-provided shoulder-harness holes are mandatory.
Not your ordinary bucket seat. And a few other important "notes"
Look at Corbeau, Kirkey, Sparco race seats. Ratings not required(yet)

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

I run the Corbeau Forza with no ratings.   Same seat as the one with the rating except you pay less.  If you plan to run in a series other than Lemons check their rules too.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

As far as the seat back brace, the rules are that if the seat is over 6" away from the cage/harness bar, you must use a brace.  It does not need to attach to the seat, just be within 6" of the seat back.  We have drivers ranging from 5'7" to 6'3" so we need an adjustable seat back brace.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Ratings not required(yet)

Sounds like the writing is on the wall that a rated seat will be required in the next season or two. Given that, I wouldn't recommend buying anything that doesn't have an SFI or FIA tag on it.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

piper.gras wrote:

Ratings not required(yet)

Sounds like the writing is on the wall that a rated seat will be required in the next season or two. Given that, I wouldn't recommend buying anything that doesn't have an SFI or FIA tag on it.

Why do you think so?  I haven't seen anything to insinuate this.  I do expect fire suppression systems next year as the rule book comes very close to stating this.  I would even expect DOM to be required over ERW before making the seat FIA/SFI tagged.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

It just seems that with all of the other safety regulations, and the general trend towards more stringent safety requirements, that an SFI/FIA rated seat requirement would be one of the next logical steps.

We're required to have certified belts, certified head and neck restraints, and the seat is the other big piece of that equation.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

My friend overheard one of the judges saying he wanted to make that a rule asap because he wanted to get rid of poorly mounted alum seats that are not secure unless hard mounted in 6 places.  Buy an fia seat from overseas dealer.  Same price as non rated cheap seats!

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

so sounds like FIA seat is recommended. Might even become required.
back brace just has to be within 6" of the seat with spreader plate so it wont impale the driver.

who are those overseas suppliers?

This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

I found one using a google search, but be warned, sometimes the shipping alone gets it back up to the price here in the states.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

I'd be careful with the blanket statement regarding SFI/FIA rated seats being required.  In my rafters I have a Sparco tube frame seat that is FIA rated but tube framed seats are considered by tech to be less desirable than a formed seat.  For that reason I don't see them mandating a rated seat but maybe put an emphasis on making sure the seat is secure.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

www.murraymotorsport.com
www.rallynuts.com
www.demontweaks.com

murray has amazing deals and shipping is cheaper than most us places, at least for east coast people,  takes about 2 days.

Q: Has anyone had any experience with the FIA rated BIMARCO Grip seats mfg in Poland?

They can be had for $450 + $99 ship off eBay which means after buying eBay GC at a discount when availble + eBay Promos (8% back in eBay Bucks), you should easily be able to snag this <$500 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/i/181832685842

I'm considering this as an upgrade to my FORZA seats for the halo protection.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Great info guys.
I think I am going to spurge a little and get FIA seat with the halo.

they look pretty nice i have seen them but for the same price ($505 shipped) i got a sparco circut 2 and its one of the most comfortable seats ive sat in, or even cheaper the evo can be had if you dont want a halo.

We have a Bimarco Futura and think it's fantastic.  Got a great deal on it from scamotorsport.com over in the UK.  Got a harness and a Hans from there as well.  Prices are almost unbelievable.

That said, they can be a bit... flaky, so if you need something quickly look elsewhere, but they've always come through eventually, even if I did have to send a few aggressively worded emails.

Electric Mayhem Racing

17 (edited by jrbe 2017-06-08 03:45 PM)

mgavro wrote:

We have a Bimarco Futura and think it's fantastic.  Got a great deal on it from scamotorsport.com

How do you name your company what sounds like scam motorsport and people buy things from you? Or did I half miss the joke?

Safety stuff is not something I'd personally buy from eBay. There were reports of fakes on eBay a while back.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

jrbe wrote:
mgavro wrote:

We have a Bimarco Futura and think it's fantastic.  Got a great deal on it from scamotorsport.com

How do you name your company what sounds like scam motorsport and people buy things from you? Or did I half miss the joke?

Safety stuff is not something I'd personally buy from eBay. There were reports of fakes on eBay a while back.

I have successfully bought from Ebay two seats and a harness.  All were reputable, well known racing vendors moving no longer showroom quality goods (two scratch and dents and a one year "spent" dated harness.).  I have also bought a harness from Amazon that I had to return despite being SFI rated because the actual manufacturer believe they could send the harness with the dates not punched...they got reported to the head of tech at SFI.

mgavro wrote:

We have a Bimarco Futura and think it's fantastic.  Got a great deal on it from scamotorsport.com over in the UK.  Got a harness and a Hans from there as well.  Prices are almost unbelievable.

That said, they can be a bit... flaky, so if you need something quickly look elsewhere, but they've always come through eventually, even if I did have to send a few aggressively worded emails.

Wow, with the UKP in the shitter right now b/c of the election you can get the Bimarco GRIP for just under $400USD delivered worldwide.
I'm actually tempted.

Since the GRIP uses a side mounting system just like the Futura you bought, where did you get the brackets?

My existing sliding bracket for my tbird are from Corbeau and bolt to the existing seat (COrbeau Forza) with 4 bolts on the bottom of the seat.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4