Topic: wanted: 20' of 1-3/8" (35mm) radiator hose

Striking out online. Where can I buy regular bulk heater/radiator hose? Not interested in paying $7/ft for fancy blue shiny silicone stuff.

Captain McDads/A Fart Racing - new team for 2017 - 1977 Lancia Scorpion, it's not running yet but I have high hopes!
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

Re: wanted: 20' of 1-3/8" (35mm) radiator hose

What are you using it for?  Can you use pieces of metal tube connected with shorter pieces of rubber?

3 (edited by billybobster 2017-06-19 08:58 PM)

A Daly City NAPA store I go to carries bulk hose. The Petaluma NAPA is a good place for parts (our car was based there). Have you called them?

10X+ Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 TRUMPACO Merkur - '17 Sears Pointless, '16 Pointless, Vodden, Arse-Sweat, Button Turrible, Arse-Freeze - 2015 Vodden, Arse Freeze. '96 Ford Taurus SHO Skunk - '17 Vodden (Hope for the Future award - not me, the rookies), '15 Pointless. Button Turrible.

rlchv70 wrote:

What are you using it for?  Can you use pieces of metal tube connected with shorter pieces of rubber?

Needs to connect rear engine to front radiator. There's a proper tunnel under the car for pipes, but the old metal ones are all rotted/rusted. I could use some new metal tubes though, but nowhere to find the OEM ones. I wanted to minimize the number of hose clamps and connections if possible. If I were to go with metal tubing, what would I want to look for? Maybe that galvanized electrical conduit stuff?

I'll call around the parts stores and see what they say. For some reason I haven't tried that yet.

Captain McDads/A Fart Racing - new team for 2017 - 1977 Lancia Scorpion, it's not running yet but I have high hopes!
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

5 (edited by RobL 2017-06-20 11:45 AM)

You are going to want to run hard line under the car.  Running soft line is asking for a pinch/cut/tear/wear hole and then you will never know from the cockpit.  Does the OEM brand exist anymore?  You've tried the dealership?  Rock Auto?  Possibly have some muffler tube bent?  Does the car have some sort of forum that you can hop on and ask about parts?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

zanzabar88 wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Needs to connect rear engine to front radiator. There's a proper tunnel under the car for pipes, but the old metal ones are all rotted/rusted. I could use some new metal tubes though, but nowhere to find the OEM ones. I wanted to minimize the number of hose clamps and connections if possible. If I were to go with metal tubing, what would I want to look for? Maybe that galvanized electrical conduit stuff?

I'll call around the parts stores and see what they say. For some reason I haven't tried that yet.

what are you worried about? galvanic corrosion?
In that case, why not put a sacrificial anode in the system -- say at the drain petcock?
In my car, I have an aluminum radiator, iron block and heads, and some brass fittings in the system. Placing something like this may be a way to minimize corrosion when running distilled water.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-32060

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Bosozoku Texino Thunderbird (1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing)

zanzabar88 wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Just find a pipe that is a decently tight fit to the rubber.  No sharp edges on the ends where it meats the hose.  Something substantial enough that it won't deform under the clamp. Material doesn't matter much, other than to provide the strength to prevent deformation.  Run coolant in it every once in a while to prevent corrosion.

Also need to find a way to add a bead to the end so that it doesn't blow the hose off under pressure.  Use some type of forming tool, weld a bead, or at least add a few dimples.

Would this work? Lovin that price!
https://www.carid.com/walker/heavy-duty … 47980.html

9 (edited by rlchv70 2017-06-28 12:57 PM)

zanzabar88 wrote:

Would this work? Lovin that price!
https://www.carid.com/walker/heavy-duty … 47980.html

Maybe.  What is the ID of the hose you are using?  1 3/8?  Might be a bit snug, depending on the type of hose you are using.

I keep seeing this, Huge struggle.
I do not condone this, cause really no real good reason to use
So, Use this: https://www.mcmaster.com/#5296k381/=189q9ys
if link fails, mcmaster 5296K381, max cont length is 12ft, so will need to couple them.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu - 4 races, IOE, Incredible Feats in Badge Engineering 1996 Ford Probe GT - under a knife
http://i.imgur.com/m3KbADo.gif

FWIW, our mid-engine swapped golf has 1" electrical conduit as hard pipe running the length of the car.  Mind the zinc coating when you weld beads on the ends...

All of the straight sections in our system are conduit.  All the bends are the result of me going behind the counter of autozone and buying every radiator hose with more than 3 bends in it that was the correct diameter.  That's three elbows per hose, super economical!

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine
Class B winner - Joliet 2015
Regional Award winner - Gingerman 2015

kakarot1232001 wrote:

I keep seeing this, Huge struggle.
I do not condone this, cause really no real good reason to use
So, Use this: https://www.mcmaster.com/#5296k381/=189q9ys
if link fails, mcmaster 5296K381, max cont length is 12ft, so will need to couple them.

That would work, but keep in mind that silicone hose does not like oil.  Softens the hose and can eventually lead to failure.  EPDM rubber would be the best, but harder to find in bulk lengths.

13 (edited by billybobster 2017-06-29 10:00 AM)

the shaolin wrote:

FWIW, our mid-engine swapped golf has 1" electrical conduit as hard pipe running the length of the car.  Mind the zinc coating when you weld beads on the ends...

All of the straight sections in our system are conduit.  All the bends are the result of me going behind the counter of autozone and buying every radiator hose with more than 3 bends in it that was the correct diameter.  That's three elbows per hose, super economical!

I made a DIY tube beader for our team copying something I saw on the Interweb. Worked very well on our aluminum and steel turbo tubes. It was a fast job using this.

Picture below. Saddle from 3" U-bolt clamp, big washer and an old vise-grip clone. Size down for 1" should work for the conduit.

http://www.billniemeyer.tv/images/2016-04-tube-beader.jpg

10X+ Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 TRUMPACO Merkur - '17 Sears Pointless, '16 Pointless, Vodden, Arse-Sweat, Button Turrible, Arse-Freeze - 2015 Vodden, Arse Freeze. '96 Ford Taurus SHO Skunk - '17 Vodden (Hope for the Future award - not me, the rookies), '15 Pointless. Button Turrible.

That's an awesome idea! Can I borrow your tool for a few days next week?

billybobster wrote:

Picture below. Saddle from 3" U-bolt clamp, big washer and an old vise-grip clone. Size down for 1" should work for the conduit.

http://www.billniemeyer.tv/images/2016-04-tube-beader.jpg

This tool is fascinating.
If I understand it correctly, you stick the washer in and when you clamp down, that pushes the inside slightly out against the u-clamp saddle, right?
Rotate a few degrees and repeat, right?

How many times did you need to rotate and reclamp to form the full bead all the way around the tube?
I dont know when I'll need to do this on my car but I love a good DIY idea.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Bosozoku Texino Thunderbird (1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing)

zanzabar88 wrote:

That's an awesome idea! Can I borrow your tool for a few days next week?

You are welcome to borrow it, but it probably won't fit in what you using for metal tube. My feeble brain says the washer is around 2". It probably only works on 3" tubing the way it's made.

Also, we don't go to Petaluma anymore, car isn't there now. You'd have to come to SF or Vallejo to pick up the tool..

It would probably take you less time to go to Maselli's (I love that hardware store and I have yet to tour the giant scrap yard), get the appropriate pieces, weld them together (JB Weld would probably work too). Then you own the means of production.

Also, Maselli's undoubtedly has the conduit too. It's one stop shopping.

gunn wrote:

This tool is fascinating.
If I understand it correctly, you stick the washer in and when you clamp down, that pushes the inside slightly out against the u-clamp saddle, right?
Rotate a few degrees and repeat, right?

How many times did you need to rotate and reclamp to form the full bead all the way around the tube?
I dont know when I'll need to do this on my car but I love a good DIY idea.

I wish I could claim thinking of this, but not an original idea - idea came from the Internet.

Your description of how it works is dead on. I'm not sure how many times you have to rotate and reclamp because I didn't do the beading. Before I had a chance to use it, a teammate grabbed it to try it and just kept going. Finished all the beading. I can report it went fast.