Topic: Sputnik@NCM, or How to Step on Your Wiener Repeatedly:

1) Teach your new driver (Hillary) to drive stick at 6:30 on Friday before the race, in the back of the paddock lot, because procrastinating for 2 months is fun. Start-stops 20 feet at a time, 180, more lurching start-stops, rinse-repeat. Several minutes later, angry security guy drives up and tells us "race time is over, park it, DON'T MAKE US TELL YOU TWICE gawr gawr" (as it later turned out, NCM dictates no race motors after 6). We shrug, say roger wilco, and park the car. Sometime between then and the next morning Jay gets an angry call about #119 doing donuts, hooning, and setting the Great Chicago Fire, all while ignoring repeated calls to stop. Hillary does retain enough knowledge to launch herself onto the track and turn laps, but not before us spending the first 30 minutes of the race explaining ourselves.

2) Check torque on axle nuts on Friday, realize they're already to spec, assume that lugnuts were torqued, too. Same poor new driver comes back an hour later and mentions clicking and front-end vibrations. Now she's mildly terrified. Lost 10 minutes checking lugnut torque and everything else.

3) Keep the same wrong temp sender for three effin races, promising yourself to replace with the correct one after people would come in, hair on fire, complaining about the car running hot. Of course, on Saturday two people come in, hair on fire, complaining about hot temp readings. Another 30 minutes. Finally gave in and replaced it with correct sender overnight.

4) Delay tire rotation until the morning because eff it. The next morning, find out that one of the rear lugnuts merged itself onto the stud and would leave a chunk of its own guts on the stud once pried loose. 20 minute operation turns into an hour-long thread-cleaning adventure. Missed green by 10 minutes.

5) Add some oil, ask teammate to top off the pan, get on with life. Check oil in the morning, realize it's a little over full. Then, against better judgement, cave in to  "Ehh, ok, it'll burn up anyway" calls. On the same poor first-time driver from yesterday. Car gets towed in after smoking like a coal steamer. Fact: 4 extra quarts is not "a little over full". Another 40 minutes sorting out the aftermath (which involved another tow after all the oil in the exhaust started smoking). Hillary now refuses to get in the car because obviously we're trying to kill her, although a few hours later, we talk her into taking checkered. Which leads to:

6) Keep using wonky oem starter switch instead of a usual push-button. 10 minutes before checkered on Sunday, as if she didn't have enough, Hillary spins out in #10. She then can't get the motor to crank while blocking half the track, sideways, thanks to ambiguously acting switch. Miraculously avoids getting creamed thanks to quick work from NCM towing guys, flaggers, and all the drivers actually paying attention.

I'm surprised she didn't tell me to sleep on the couch. That patience.

K Car Stalker

Re: Sputnik@NCM, or How to Step on Your Wiener Repeatedly:

firegremlin wrote:

........I'm surprised she didn't tell me to sleep on the couch. That patience.

You'll have plenty of other opportunities

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I loved everything about this facility except the twitchy security guards. I think that guy drove by giving us the hairy eyeball 3 times during the Friday night potluck. If sounds like NCM wants us back, so I hope they tell the mall cops at the gate to calm down a little bit next time.

Also, it would have been great to have someone at the gate overnight with waivers and wristbands, but maybe I'm a little spoiled.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I loved everything about this facility except the twitchy security guards. I think that guy drove by giving us the hairy eyeball 3 times during the Friday night potluck. If sounds like NCM wants us back, so I hope they tell the mall cops at the gate to calm down a little bit next time.

Also, it would have been great to have someone at the gate overnight with waivers and wristbands, but maybe I'm a little spoiled.

I think the mixed and conflicting messages from the  from the various staff at NCM or even the same staff at different times was the worst aspect.  It was their first race for us freaks so either we will figure them out or they will figure us out.

Potluck went much better than expected.  I put a lot more time and energy into organizing the Anniversary race potluck and the one at NCM actually went more smoothly.

Oh, Frank, you are spoiled. Have not been to a track yet that you can get in Thursday or Friday night without a band...most close the gates about 11/12.  That said, the main staff telling us the gate access is 24/7 and Barney Fife stopping everyone from coming in, etc, etc,

Maybe our reputation precedes us. I was there a couple of months ago for a Chin event and everyone was very cool. The guy at the gate let us all in early and didn't mess with anyone.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

firegremlin wrote:

6) Keep using wonky oem starter switch instead of a usual push-button.

I'm surprised she didn't tell me to sleep on the couch. That foolhardiness.

Modified to more suitable phrasing.  ;-)

Frankly, I'm surprised you don't have two bare wires to spark together to fire the starter, like the Fury had.  Or a screwdriver dangling on a rope used to short together a circuit.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

7 (edited by firegremlin 2017-07-11 04:54 AM)

There's an equivalent of a screwdriver (flat piece of scrap steel) dangling off of a piece of wire that you'd use as a "key" to start the car. Naturally, it takes about 3 hours to pull out when you're buckled in.

It still amazes me that I now have all this knowledge of what makes a really good, fun, intuitive n00b racecar and I keep failing to apply it to mine.

K Car Stalker

As for the twitchy security guard, I heard that there is a new subdivision that was just built that seems to be upset about things like car sounds coming from the race track that they decided to build next too.  There are some legal things going on currently so that may be why they are extra twitchy and zero tolerance right now.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

As for the twitchy security guard, I heard that there is a new subdivision that was just built that seems to be upset about things like car sounds coming from the race track that they decided to build next too.  There are some legal things going on currently so that may be why they are extra twitchy and zero tolerance right now.

yeah why is everybody ripping on Casey? He seemed like an OK dude smile

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:

yeah why is everybody ripping on Casey? He seemed like an OK dude smile

I hear he likes gladiator movies.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

OnkelUdo wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

I think the mixed and conflicting messages from the  from the various staff at NCM or even the same staff at different times was the worst aspect.  It was their first race for us freaks so either we will figure them out or they will figure us out.

Potluck went much better than expected.  I put a lot more time and energy into organizing the Anniversary race potluck and the one at NCM actually went more smoothly.

Oh, Frank, you are spoiled. Have not been to a track yet that you can get in Thursday or Friday night without a band...most close the gates about 11/12.  That said, the main staff telling us the gate access is 24/7 and Barney Fife stopping everyone from coming in, etc, etc,

Usually, you can kind of sweet talk whoever is there into letting you in because it's usually just an attendant rather than an insecure mall cop who feels the need to read you the riot act as soon as you show up. (Maybe he only did this to me because I showed up with no shirt and sweet ass chops?).

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:

(Maybe he only did this to me because I showed up with no shirt and sweet ass chops?).

Isn't that Saturday date-night-on-the-town-attire for Kentucky?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

That first part had me laughing because the first time my sister ever drove the daytona was 2 laps around the paddock friday before the race in NJ a few years back. Basically threw her in the car Saturday and said good luck. Trial by fire and now she's competing for fast lap of the day between the family members.

However I saw no mention of a sawsall, so it couldn't have been that bad of a weekend.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

cheseroo wrote:
VanillaHaze wrote:

(Maybe he only did this to me because I showed up with no shirt and sweet ass chops?).

In the realm of "They don't get out much in KY" I went to the gas station during lunch and had my suit tied up around my waist as many of us with one piece suits will do.  Dude behind the counter noticed it and asked "Are you a house painter?".  It's like most of the locals have no idea there's a race track about a 1/4 mile away.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

cheseroo wrote:
VanillaHaze wrote:

That's what I thought! I thought I would fit in!

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

It would be great if one day a judge would tell these dumfuks that if they move into a neighborhood next to a racetrack/ airport/highway, that there will be noise and to get over it or move.

Same for folks who move in next to a wastewater plant and complain about the smell.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

It would be great if one day a judge would tell these dumfuks that if they move into a neighborhood next to a racetrack/ airport/highway, that there will be noise and to get over it or move.

Same for folks who move in next to a wastewater plant and complain about the smell.

Agree 100% for people moving to the area, but there are some houses right at the entrance to the track that look like they have been there for 50 years or longer including a saddle repair business/house so maybe 100 years.....

IMHO the track increases the property value, just sell to a racer!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

If it was the saddle repair business or the house with the goats I could understand, but I was told it was a brand new subdivision that may not even be completely built yet, so they should have known what was next door.

Facebook Page

Yeah, but they didn't realize how loud a racetrack would be.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

But the racetrack had a sign explaining exactly how loud they were.  It was like 105db at 50 feet loud.

Facebook Page