Topic: How awful is getting waitlisted?

Got word that we're waitlisted... Is this just the party line for everyone who is not accepted by deadline or is there actually this purgatory between the accepted and declined?

Either way, we've treated it like an acceptance and are going forward full steam ahead. We've gotten a better theme since the original application and wish we had come up with it sooner as I'm sure we would have been accepted had it been listed as part of our app. from the onset.

I'm worried that the lack of drivers on the team page was a turn-off to the folk doing the selection so I'm trying to get them to fill in their detailed info a.s.a.p.

Any other tips for getting off the waitlist and on to the "CONFIRMED" list?

The car we're building is having it's 50th anniversary this year, so that should be another plus!

--Spank

Re: How awful is getting waitlisted?

I think theme is more important than listing your drivers as long as you know you have them. But that's only my perspective as a participant. As for wait-listing, there does seem to be at least a few who pull out in between acceptance and the race so depending how many there are, you may get lucky.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Did you detail any kind of theme?  Remember, this is not really a race... it's a "happening" -- an "event."  Think Burning Man on wheels.  Never been to Burning Man?  Think Woodstock without the music.

Yes, not having a full team is dicey... you look unprepared.  But a theme... dude, you gotta have a full, Cecil B. DeMille, Charleton Heston-parting-the-waters, Busby Berkeley song-and-dance, 42nd Street full-production theme!!!

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

We were waitlisted for our first race at CMP in April.  Jay told us that openings would probably open up pretty quick given the state of the economy due to dropouts.  Sure enough, about 2-3 weeks later he asked if we still wanted in since a spot had opened up.  So I don't think being waitlisted is all that bad at all.

That being said, be ready.  I agree with going ahead with the car build, and that's what we did.  Your whole team though has to be willing to accept the possibility that despite the investment, you still might not make this particular race.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

5 (edited by Spank 2009-06-11 03:26 PM)

yea, the car will just end up being a club racer / autocrosser / track day car that people will have to reimburse me to use it if we don't get in with preference going to those who actually helped with its build. I can actually have the car driving in a 12-hour day even though we're starting from a bare body shell. The cage and theme implementation is what will eat up the time.

Maybe all of this rule change stuff could actually work in our favor since we have no reason to niggle over it as it's just the build-to norm for us!

Would bombarding the organizers with worldwide support for our entry do any good? Our chosen sacrificial car has quite the cult following...

And yes, I was sure in our waitlist acceptance to detail our theme (which includes an all bean-dish menu for team participants during the event-- we'll be begging for the chemical ali 8 hours into it). I also updated our team page to reflect this.

--Spank

Spank wrote:

Would bombarding the organizers with worldwide support for our entry do any good? Our chosen sacrificial car has quite the cult following...

--Spank

One of our team members bombarded Jay with questions about how to improve our chances, what do you think of this car, how about this theme, etc.  While I believe we eventually made it in the race by luck of the draw, I can't speak as to whether or not we annoyed Jay with all our questions.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

professional.dreamer wrote:

Cecil B. DeMille, Charleton Heston-parting-the-waters, Busby Berkeley song-and-dance, 42nd Street full-production theme!!!

I have no idea who those people are..

CaptainRat wrote:
Spank wrote:

--Spank

One of our team members bombarded Jay with questions about how to improve our chances, what do you think of this car, how about this theme, etc.  While I believe we eventually made it in the race by luck of the draw, I can't speak as to whether or not we annoyed Jay with all our questions.

What are you trying to say?  We would have made it in regardless?  Once again, my efforts go unappreciated.  I have always said that negative publicity is better than no publicity at all.  For a first timer, it does not hurt one bit to make sure you do everything to increase your chances of becoming noticed and proving that you and your team can add to the show, plain and simple.  Captain Rat, you can handle anything else that comes up in the future you ungrateful bastard.  I guess I will just keep my mouth shut next time.  Hope the Colt rots in hell...

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

FreeRange wrote:

Cecil B. DeMille, Charleton Heston-parting-the-waters, Busby Berkeley song-and-dance, 42nd Street full-production theme!!!

Matt -- you are so... so... young!

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Send the headquarters a beer of the week membership.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

FreeRange wrote:

Matt -- you are so... so... young!

Were you shaking your fist at the screen while typing this?

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

The screen of his Apple computer with the green screen moniter!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

What car? I'd rather save that for when we show up. The organizers know-- it's in our team profile but I strongly doubt one has ever raced in Lemons before (but I could be wrong). I've got 2 magazine editors that feature this particular car who have confirmed that should we get it they will give us (international) press!

And no, it's not an amphicar, but i do have access to one (albeit not for $500).

If for some ungodly reason we don't get an acceptance prior to the race, we're just going to show up at the track ready-to-go in hopes that someone can't make it due to unforeseen circumstances...

By the looks of some posts on other threads, I should have been pestering the organizers long before the entry deadline. Ah well, the sins of a Lemons rookie.

--Spank

We just got accepted!! Woo hoo!!!!

Can't wait to lose my Lemons virginity.

--Spank

Spank wrote:

--Spank

hehe  he said virginity and spank!!

Spank wrote:

--Spank

Congrats (and don't forget to read the instructions in the acceptance email....)

Spank wrote:

--Spank

Welcome to the rest of your life lol...

Spank wrote:

Bring wet-naps.

Team Formula BMW
#23 Pink Pig