1 (edited by bongle 2009-06-17 06:00 AM)

Topic: Question about suitable windshield replacements

One of the reasons our car was so cheap was because the previous owner had smashed the windshield in with the hood when the hood latch failed at highway speeds.  We're looking for a replacement, and were wondering if this or something like it would be legal:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wrap-Arou … ,2292.html

The mesh appears to have 2x2" openings.  Is that fine enough, or should we have smaller mesh holes?

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Re: Question about suitable windshield replacements

We used 1/2" mesh for the windshield on the Bunny With A Pancake On Its Head; that passed tech no problem.  As much as I support buying stuff from Speedway Motors ("America's oldest speed shop"), I think 2" might be a bit large.  There will be lots of gravel, rubber, and other assorted bits-o-crapheap™ flying at you at low-to-medium speed.  Even with our 1/2" mesh, we occasionally got something bouncing off of our helmet visors.
I'm not going to give away our speed secrets, but I imagine that if you were to go to your local hardware store and ask for welded wire mesh, you could come up with something really inexpensive.  Just sayin'...

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

casadelshawn wrote:

I'm not going to give away our speed secrets, but I imagine that if you were to go to your local hardware store and ask for welded wire mesh, you could come up with something really inexpensive.  Just sayin'...

Ah, I figured we needed something officially designed for racing, and that was the only thing I could find.  Thanks for the tip.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

I think its according to the track, but I've seen cars with no windshield whatsoever, so if those pass tech I'm guessing a mesh screen would.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page