Topic: Reserving spots at Buttonwillow

What is the formal / informal rule on saving spots for other teams at Lemons races?  When we arrived at around 10am to Reno, there were 0 spots left.  We parked in an "open" spot, only to have some lady yell out her $250,000 motor home "HEY!  THAT'S RESERVED"

What were we to do?  Ohh I know, whine to the Judges!  That went over well.. (thanks Johnny for putting us in our place) smile

Anyways, to avoid this in the future... can we institute an informal "no reserving for other teams" rule?  We try to pit next to the same teams every race, but one team was reserving enough space for 12 motorhomes, a fleet of Yugo's and a high school marching band.

Other team's thoughts?

Re: Reserving spots at Buttonwillow

FreeRange wrote:

We try to pit next to the same teams every race, but one team was reserving enough space for 12 motorhomes, a fleet of Yugo's and a high school marching band.

Other team's thoughts?

Hey Matt

Thanks for saving us a spot at Reno!:)

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

We try to pit next to the same teams every race, but one team was reserving enough space for 12 motorhomes, a fleet of Yugo's and a high school marching band.

Other team's thoughts?

Hey Matt

Thanks for saving us a spot at Reno!:)

We "bought" you a spot at Reno with a Cuban smile

4 (edited by Rob Stercraw 2009-06-17 11:40 AM)

I think it ought to be "anyone officially on a team can reserve a spot for their team only" (so if someone on your team can get there early - good for you - other than that, HTFU.)

and by reserve, I mean park your damn car in it until the rest of your team shows up

then its taken

but yeah, roping shit off - or just yelling at people?  WACK.

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

In all fairness I think that roping, coning, standing or just yelling that a spot is taken is kinda B.S If your going to save a space for another team it should have something of value in it for the judges. If the judges walk by and see juicy steaks on a grill or a cooler with smoked salmon and crackers, beer or booze, then maybe it's saved.
But if it's got rope or cones then the Judges should penalize your team laps for being lazy ass rope a dopes. and make you drag your cones with you on the track.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Do as the zee Germans do: Wake up at 5am, run down to the pool and put a towel on the best lounge chair and then go back to bed knowing that every other German will honor your towel / lounge chair reservation. It all works to perfect German precision until a Brit or Yank shows up at 10am (probably hungover like crazy), uses the towel and takes over the lounge chair. Zee Germans go crazy when that happens. Very amusing.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Rob Stercraw wrote:

I think it ought to be "anyone officially on a team can reserve a spot for their team only" (so if someone on your team can get there early - good for you - other than that, HTFU.)

and by reserve, I mean park your damn car in it until the rest of your team shows up

then its taken

but yeah, roping shit off - or just yelling at people?  WACK.

Word. On that note, we need to tell Vince to not get any flat tires on the way up this time. I plan to get up there on Thurs.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

SharkBait wrote:

until a Brit or Yank shows up at 10am (probably hungover like crazy),

In all fairness... Our truck broke down in Reno.. Otherwise we would have been sleeping at the gate Thursday night smile

In my best Montgomery Burns voice...  Ooooohhhhh the Gerrrrrmannnnnssss

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I think this probably happens at every track/movie theater/cafeteria and it's annoying.  At CMP in April, the track was scheduled to open at 8am Friday morning.  We called the track direct and they said they'd let people in as early as 5pm Thursday.  So we get there at 7pm Thursday and most of the front row was "taken".  There were a few of the $250,000 RV's, but mostly a lot of cones and rope.  Some of those cone people didn't show up until after lunch on Friday.

I'm all in favor of "first come-first served".  No reserving spots for you or other teams.  You want the spot?  Get there and take it with your race car.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

We call dibs on one of the nice comfy lockable garages next to race control.

Team Formula BMW
#23 Pink Pig

In the reserving spots = wack camp. If I have to take a vacation day to drive to the track early and get a good spot, someone else shouldn't be allowed to reserve it away from me. First come, first served period. A team member's vehicle (preferably the one in the race) should be the only way to claim a spot.

Sometimes we've been told the premium spots are for the RVs or big trailers. That's fine. If the RVs or big trailers want those spots, take time off from work and get there before I do.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

gielamonster wrote:

Sometimes we've been told the premium spots are for the RVs or big trailers. That's fine. If the RVs or big trailers want those spots, take time off from work and get there before I do.

I agree with the no saving part (I'm on matt's team and was part of the Reno fiasco), however often the RV spots are because of power, and because we're paying for that power for the overnight camping.  That maybe the one exception - your 78 International Harvester tow rig doesn't need the 220 to give you lights and water where you sleep at night.  Now, if other RV's beat me to those spots, tough luck, but I'd have no problem with asking some non-camper to move from a powered spot. 

Plus we're driving 600 miles so we're already taking two days off to be at the race anyway smile

troubleonwheels wrote:

I agree with the no saving part (I'm on matt's team and was part of the Reno fiasco), however often the RV spots are because of power, and because we're paying for that power for the overnight camping.  That maybe the one exception - your 78 International Harvester tow rig doesn't need the 220 to give you lights and water where you sleep at night.  Now, if other RV's beat me to those spots, tough luck, but I'd have no problem with asking some non-camper to move from a powered spot.

If the RV spots are more, and that's what you paid, then that's cool.

In the case of Lemons, I'm gonna have plenty of use for that electrical hookup (welder, other tools), regardless of the fact that I'm sleeping on a cot in the car trailer.

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

15 (edited by LTDScott 2009-06-17 08:42 PM)

Oh that's a good point. RV spaces should be saved for the teams who have already paid for the RV pass. I wonder if Lemons HQ counted the number of RV passes issued vs spaces?

Also, I assume the RV spaces are separate from normal pit spaces based on what I've seen on Google Maps satellite view?

The RV spaces are over on the west end of the paddock, essentially "outside" the three rows of paddock space (if that makes sense).  There are a few spaces that have concrete pads; the rest  are sort of level and on dirt.

Don't hook up the water, though.  It's well water, and, well, not ideal.  Let me put it this way: the locals won't use the water to wash dirt and mud off their racecars after they've gone off...much less put it in an RV.  I suppose if you've got an external filtration unit, you might be okay.  We just come with our water tank full.

One other note on layout -- when you are looking at the track, there are buildings in the southwest and sountheast corners of the paddocks -- each of these are shower (I think, never used) and restrooms (for sure, have used!).

As far as reserving space...I agree that it's uncool to grab vast amounts of space for others.  And ultimately, I say, if there ain't something large there, and the place starts to fill up... well... it ain't so reserved.

Steve

troubleonwheels wrote:

we're already taking two days off to be at the race anyway smile

dude... you're unemployed.. what do you care? smile

SharkBait wrote:

Do as the zee Germans do:  Very amusing.

http://blog.nola.com/mardigras_impact/2008/12/medium_ladder1.jpg

For Mardi Gras it's couches and/or Port-O-Lets (The city has put a stop to the port-o-lets though) People will put couches and caution tape on the Neutral Ground were they want their spot to be. Usually it's in front of their houses, but not always.

God help you if you sit on the couch, or encroach on their space.

I've seen people take up half a city block this way....

Oh, and those dumbass ladders for the kids. There's actually a regulation as to how far back from a float a ladder can be...but parents *still* insist on putting them at the curb where the f*cking thing can fall in front of a Mega-Float.

Same is said for trash cans in parking spaces during major events, like JazzFest & Voodoo Fest. You won't be able to park in front of your house for three days if you don't mark it off. People do occasionally move the spaces....last I heard they were looking for four new tires & a windshield.

So, next race have your buddy put a couch and trash cans in your saved spot. smile

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

pennintj wrote:

So, next race have your buddy put a couch and trash cans in your saved spot. smile

-=Tom

I will take the wheels off your couch and smash your trash can's windshield!!!!

SteveLevin wrote:

The RV spaces are over on the west end of the paddock, essentially "outside" the three rows of paddock space (if that makes sense).  There are a few spaces that have concrete pads; the rest  are sort of level and on dirt.

Yeah I saw that on the map, but I are the RV spots only just big enough for RVs, or could we make it our pit as well?

LTDScott wrote:
SteveLevin wrote:

Yeah I saw that on the map, but I are the RV spots only just big enough for RVs, or could we make it our pit as well?

On the other hand, are the paddock spaces long enough for an RV *and* a race car?

Thunderhill and Reno had long enough spaces for us (TH wouldn't let RV's under the covered paddock spaces) and if there's electricity available in the paddock then we're golden and we can leave at least the one RV space we would have used for someone else...

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

The last time I raced there (in April), we had our rig on the dirt, and used the concrete pad as the paddock space for our two cars and where we put a table, chairs, etc.  Those without a concrete pad at all typically pulled into the dirt space, and then put the car on the road right behind their rig.  The road is wide enough to allow that without the fire marshals getting angry.

However, there is the more southern (right next to Sunset corner) RV area, which has water/power but is more freeform and all dirt.  If you go into that area you won't really have a paved place to have your car nearby.

With just about 100 entries, though, I would expect that you can also park your rig on pavement in the general paddock area and then put the car on the pavement as well.  When there are a lot of entries, they have asked people to put their trailers on the dirt perpendicular to the roads and then put the cars on the pavement.

Also note that some of the paddock roads east of the tower (the building at start/finish) have been made wider recently to allow for having your rig on pavement, and your car next to (instead of in front or behind) your rig, and still keep the driving width of the road wide enough for the fire marshals.

There is not power available through the general paddock area, though.  If you park behind the garages and pay homeage to a kindly garage owner you might be able to plug into their garage (the garages do have back doors).

Steve