Topic: Death Cab and EyeSore Enterprise - Inseparable!

Here's some in-car video of a short race-within-the-race between me in the Death Cab for Cutie (and 3 Uglies) V8olvo and the EyeSore USS Enterprise Miata with Dave in the captain's chair.

Dave was right behind me for a lap or more before this video starts, and yellow flags let me catch back up again a couple times after the video ends, so this battle went on for probably close to 45 minutes.  This video was taken Sunday morning from around 11:10 to 11:30-ish. 

Dave - it was great racing with you!

This video is probably only interesting to me and Dave, but I thought I'd post it anyway, since many other teams/cars make an appearance in the video.

Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/11643273

Cheers,

Dean

2 (edited by Eyesoreracing 2010-05-11 07:51 AM)

Re: Death Cab and EyeSore Enterprise - Inseparable!

Hey Dean, I just put the other half of the video in the pics/vids thread:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 034#p46034

Aw, screw it, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28vZO62F9JI

Great racing! That drive was one of the best I've had in my 12 Lemons races.

-Dave

I always enjoy the videos.

Dean, the radio calls/com on your team make me envious.
Can you steer me towards a similar set-up?

thanks!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

See how useful the cones are? Let's you know to give the car you're blowing by an even wider birth.

Also, fun video and all, but without Clay and the Shark psychopathic-ally sliding across your nose, kinda dull

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

trekkor wrote:

I always enjoy the videos.

Dean, the radio calls/com on your team make me envious.
Can you steer me towards a similar set-up?

thanks!

KT

This is what we use in our car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WM … ss_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CM … ss_product

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Awesome camera mount, Dave. Gene Roddenberry surely salutes you from his orbital gravesite!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Hey Dean, hit me offline when you get a second.

Dave aht eyesoreracing daht kahm

-Dave

5:45 "I'm still shifting at 4500, I'm just taking it easy."

Seriously? I was driving the everliving balls of our little Miata just to make that hard-earned pass stick. Damn, that Taxi is fast!

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:

5:45 "I'm still shifting at 4500, I'm just taking it easy."

We were shifting at 4500 RPM because we had to. Our eBay chip that raised the rev limiter decided to be flaky.

///eta

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

10 (edited by dtfastbear 2010-05-11 02:54 PM)

There are lies, and there are damn lies.  Then there are the things that endurance racers say on the radio to the team...

"I don't know how the diff broke!  I kept it off the curbs, was braking early and NEVER slid the car because I didn't want to use up the tires for the next driver.  What?  I set fastest lap on the team by 3 seconds?  Geez, I was just taking it easy, coasting most of the time at part throttle..."  smile smile

As an egomaniacal driver, I'm loathe to get in to a "I'm slower than you!" argument, but it wasn't the Death Cab that set fast lap in the race... and I've got literally hundreds if not thousands of laps at T-Hill.

I smell a rematch coming!

Eyesore set the fast lap for the race. I'd like to say that the Death Cab V8olvo had the second-fastest lap (for rivalry-heating purposes), but that honor goes to the U-812 Geo Metro.

Also, take note that the Rogue Squadron SE-R's quickest lap was 8-1/2 seconds slower than Eyesore's best lap. Sometimes the fastest car wins, but that's not the way to bet.

What were the lap times?

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:

What were the lap times?

You're gonna make me look shit up? It goes like this: Eyesore = hella butt-ass fast. U-812 = hella butt fast. Death Cab: hella fast.

Ok, fine. Here are the sub-2:17 times for you detail-obsessed types. Quite a few cars' best times were under 2:20, while the overall winner's best time was 2:22.913.

Eyesore: 2:14.341
Geo-U812: 2:15.058
Death Cab: 2:15.093
Black Iron Jeepney: 2:16.179
Pendejo XJS: 2:16.339

14 (edited by magnusracing 2010-05-11 03:52 PM)

Sweet... a top 5 lap time for the Jag. Not bad for a car that's still over 3600lbs with a 3 speed auto/slushomatic transmission.  If it didn't consume a half gallon of gas and 2% of a head gasket per lap we might have a chance someday!

However, I have to admit, at least when I was driving, I treated the Death Cab and the Eyesore Enterprise like emergency vehicles - pull to the side and give a point by. It wasn't like I was in contention for anything and I figured I was just fast and wide enough to probably be a real pain in the ass to pass.

Good God....  I thought we were fast with a 2:21...

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

That Jaguar lap time is mighty impressive! And if you watch my video, the Jag is the only car that takes more than 2 turns for our freight train to get past. Took the Death Cab nearly a full lap to squeeze past those giant tires!

-Dave

Not to get off topic, but I vote the Jag Best Looking Race Car from this past weekend.  Talk about presence!!!!  The stance of that car is ominous, imposing and impressive.

2:16.3 for the Wankershaw Jag is MOVING....way to go!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

But we didn't have any German rivals! Missed the 928. Would have been a good battle (if we hadn't blown both head gaskets!)

We are running the same communicators but how is it coming through so clearly in the video?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

The person who responded with "we use these communicators" isn't on the Death Cab team, so I'm not sure how you'd "pipe" those into the video.  We have a separate handheld radio in the car that is "wired in" to the left channel on the video.  It picks up both sides of the conversation.

To be very specific, we have:

A Vertex VX2000 25W radio hardwired in the car, but this is NOT part of the video system.

A handheld Motorola SP50 with a patch cord going from the speaker output of the handheld to one channel of a microphone pre-amp.  There's a microphone to get the ambient and exhaust sound on the other channel.  The output from the two channels from the microphone pre-amp go to the audio input of our ChaseCam.  The microphone preamp came from RaceCam.

Simple, right?

magnusracing wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

But we didn't have any German rivals! Missed the 928. Would have been a good battle (if we hadn't blown both head gaskets!)

With those types of times we would have been hard pressed to keep up with you.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
magnusracing wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

With those types of times we would have been hard pressed to keep up with you.....

Not if you had a supercharger

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

This went on for a long time...  here's more chase footage:

http://vimeo.com/11674857

I've got about 25 minutes of death cab chase footage from the start on Sunday.  Our guy was pretty pumped to be sticking with you that long.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza