Topic: Lesson Learned In DC this weekend

Key takeaway from our first Lemons, if the judges go hey that is a great car, you aren't going to last long.

RIP  Pimpalicious Seville powered by Northstar, blownup by man

1994-2010

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Lesson Learned In DC this weekend

That's not true! The Citroën ID19 was one of our all-time favorites, and it lasted damn near all weekend.

And let's not forget the Geo Metro Ragtop!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

4 (edited by Spank 2010-06-22 01:18 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

That's not true! The Citroën ID19 was one of our all-time favorites, and it lasted damn near all weekend.

Too bad I can't find anyone who will share driving duties with me. I've had to withdraw it's entry AGAIN for Thunderhill. Kinda bums me out, but I can't float the whole bill to enter it with only me driving it.

I'm bringing something else to help ease the pain resulting from the sChitroen's withdrawal, though (besides a turbocharged British 4 cylinder Mr. Bean Mini). I hope you'll like it!

Spank is up to something crazy again...

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

6 (edited by Spank 2010-06-22 01:42 PM)

If the judges look over my entry form, they'll know what I'm bringing to Thunderhill, but not many others know so shhhhhh...

But even the judges don't know what I've got in store for the DECEMBER race... not sure if I can ever top the sChitroen, but doesn't mean I won't try.

Wait til Dec. race for what I'm bringing I will have the ultimate maybe we should have a bucket of cash

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

Wait til Dec. race for what I'm bringing I will have the ultimate maybe we should have a bucket of cash

If it's the one you told me about at Thunderhill, then yea, that'll be awesome!

We may end up with a real "race for last" though between mine and yours...

MAN, don't get me amped for December already-- I haven't even finished my build for AUGUST yet!

It's going to be hard for anyone to compete with Speedy Cop's BMW V12 Thunderbird.

Assuming it worked, all engine computers were removed along with the manifold, twelve intake runners were added. An ammo box lid was placed on top of the runners, acting as a manifold and a Holley 600 was JB welded on top of that.

Seriously, you have no idea how amazing this thing is.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Assuming it works! Pendejo has some V-12 to Holley carb conversion experience and they're not without their problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Judge Jonny wrote:

It's going to be hard for anyone to compete with Speedy Cop's BMW V12 Thunderbird.

Assuming it worked, all engine computers were removed along with the manifold, twelve intake runners were added. An ammo box lid was placed on top of the runners, acting as a manifold and a Holley 600 was JB welded on top of that.

Yea, I can't do that. I just try to make all of the stock stuff work as best as I can. I don't really know squat about cars, especially the sorta stuff with skinny little copper strings that seem to make my gonads tickle when I touch them.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm just learning as I go/screw up.

Trying to turbocharge a 998 A-series mini engine is about the wildest out-of-the-box I'm venturing. If it goes ok, I may try to do it to the sChitroen. But big Hats Off to those who can do those crazy engine swaps.

Judge Jonny wrote:

Technically, the carb adapter was bolted to the lid of the ammo can with a proper gasket. As the lid wasn't rigid enough, it flexed and blew out the gasket. Because I had welded the lid onto the cut-down ammo can bottom, I couldn't replace the gasket, hence all the JB weld. Hey, it worked!

I think I need another transmission. During my glorious, smoky, overheating two laps, it slipped in and out of drive. With no computer controls, there was no 1st or 2nd, just the default third gear. While we proved that was enough at Gingerman, having the lower hose pop off the Mezeire universal electric water pump we needed to replace the stock unobtainium V12 pump was simply the icing on our shite cake for the weekend. Nothing like a 14 hour run to northeast Ohio by Ronman in my Super Duty to pick up a universal pump from Summit Racing almost 5 hours after their closing time! Fortunately, an employee thought our BMW V12-powered 1963 Thunderbird and our Komen fundraising efforts were pretty cool, after looking up www.speedycop.com, and worked it out to meet us there in the wee hours. Too bad they didn't have anything bigger than a 3/4" hose adapter for the 12AN o-ring holes in the pump, and yet Mezeire tells you to place it in the (2") lower radiator hose. Our alternating layers of duct tape and assorted hose pieces failed after ONE LAP, despite being double-clamped.

We didn't have any luck with the Mark VIII, either, despite a flawless performance for 24 hours straight at VIR, where we would have been on the podium if not for horrible pit times. Friday night, I had to touch up a few cage welds to satisfy the tech inspectors, despite the car being unchanged for 6 races. As I had to weld the driver's side dash bar (above the computer), I made sure there was no residual smoldering when I was done (or so I thought). About 15 minutes later, somebody yelled to us: "Hey, your car's on fire!"

Sure enough, the harness for the whole car was burning, and the computer was red hot and scorched. I used the extinguisher to get it out, and once it cooled, we started it up. It seemed fine, and a quick visual inspection revealed only scorching and melted tape on the harness. Cool, disaster averted! Next morning, I started it to begin the race, and it ran horribly. Knowing it wasn't driveable, I wiggled under the dash to inspect the harness more closely. What I found was a melted mess almost a foot long, with maybe 25 wires with the shielding burned completely off. Several sweaty hours later, we were running better, though still rough. We decided to go ahead and get some laps. I posted a 1:57, the fastest lap of the day Saturday. Then the clutch cable failed.

I used Quick Steel epoxy to reinforce the collapsed section of the cable, and tightened it all the way. It held for the rest of the day, but the car started running worse, so we parked it. Messing with it at the end of the day Saturday, we found that the #6 cylinder wasn't getting spark. As it is a wasted spark system (two plug wires per coil, both fire at once, one spark occurs on the exhaust stroke and therefore is wasted), and the other cylinder on the coil was getting a strong spark, it had to be a plug or wire, right? Wrong. Changed them both, with no luck. HUH? Turns out the coils have a wire inside that connects both plug wire connections, and that wire can break. Guess where the spare coil was? In my Super Duty, on it's way to Ohio for the pump. ARRGH!

The rusty Cougar guys loaned us one off their spare motor, and it fixed the problem. Cousin Dave (AKA CaddyWrecker) went back out for a couple more laps before racing ended at 8pm, and came back in with a big grin on his face, so I knew it was fixed. Sunday at the start of the race, I went out for about ten laps, to try and post the fastest lap of the day again, and I did so with a 1:55.113! Thanks to our newly welded rear and light rear end, I was the drift king on the track. Too bad the traffic was heavy, and the clutch cable failed again, or I could have gone even faster!

Overall, a frustrating, horribly expensive, LOOOOONG, tiring, hot weekend. Fun? Yes, of course. Well, at times. When we went to leave, we found both right side trailer tires were rubbing, due to newly bent 3500 lb. axles. Who puts axles that light on a 24' enclosed race car hauler anyway? We had to put the Mark VIII on the open trailer that was going to haul the remains of my '97 Intrepid "People's Curse Scapegoat Car" back home. So much for that $200 worth of scrap. I had to leave it behind. We had an awesome time Saturday night, though, playing beer pong, and riding my Honda 400EX on two wheels with my wife on the back, and Dave being pulled 30' behind in the wagon. We also had an awesome time late Sunday night in DC with some fellow Lemons peeps. I usually get tired of playing tour guide for friends and family, as I work in downtown DC every day, but this time it was really fun. Thanks again for dinner!

I'm itching to do Stafford, but we just can't afford it right now. Too bad, I think the Lincoln would do really well there...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Spank, if you need help with an IOE car just before and during a race, and want another driver, I'm in. I'll fly out.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Judge Jonny wrote:

And let's not forget the Geo Metro Ragtop!

Our Geo took an epic beating!! We all had an amazing time..thanks to all. Plans are in the works for an extra .3L, duct tape (lots) and a run next year. Lesson #1 learned: place Amish wagon style warning triangle on car for future races!

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/samkoski/80.jpg

I want to write Om, nom, nom on the wartburg, looks like you are running in fear of being eaten wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Lol..I suspect most all the other cars on the track left with busting guts. Not sure we needed that back right tire, perhaps we'll just run three next time.

Well next turn it would be the rear left tire.  So I guess you can lose that one too.  tongue

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Oh crap...I better make sure they didn't sell that! We may need to come up with another tire strategy wink

Baby_Baksheesh wrote:

Lesson #1 learned: place Amish wagon style warning triangle on car for future races!

I about busted a gut when I saw the orange warning triangle show up on your car. That was one of the best touches all weekend. Well done! smile

Dave -- member emeritus, Vermont Bert One --

That picture is what Lemons is all about.

Well, that picture if it included one of Speedy Cop's cars on fire.

Judge Jonny wrote:

That picture is what Lemons is all about.

Well, that picture if it included one of Speedy Cop's cars on fire.

Photoshop needed stat.

But yes, that is a quintessential Lemons pic for sure

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Getting Spank and Speedycop on the same Lemons team would be like getting Oppenheimer and Kurchatov together in a room full of neptunium-237. Make it happen!

Judge Phil wrote:

Getting Spank and Speedycop on the same Lemons team would be like getting Oppenheimer and Kurchatov together in a room full of neptunium-237. Make it happen!

Dont be stealin him from me....we're brewin something up....just not sure what wink

Hush yo mouth, Jimbo. The first rule of Project X is that we don't talk about Project X.

25 (edited by Speedycop 2010-06-23 06:56 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

That's up to Spank. I fly out to L.A. every Thanksgiving to see family in Altadena. I could simply reschedule. big_smile