Re: Bat-sChIT(ROËN)-Crazy?

Glad to hear it's been rescued and even better to hear it's in the Midwest. Does that mean we'll be seeing it at Gingerman? I'd love to finally get to see it in person.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

This is the best thread in the history of this board.  If not the internet itself.  What a tale.  I am so happy to be a part of this community.  What a bunch of idiots!!

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

353 (edited by m610 2011-01-06 09:40 AM)

The story of Shitty is perfect for a children's book.

A long neglected little sChitroen, who was found by a kind hearted man named Spank who had a knack for mechanical wizardry (Could he actually be a real wizard?), is given a home, some much needed TLC, and told, "Little sChitroen, you can be anything you want, even a race car". "Really?", replies the timid little car, in its odd mix of a French and Socal accent. "But I'm not so sure. I've never been fast." Spank assures him, "It's not about being fast. You'll see." So they get to work.... and little Shitty races, and wins a major award. THE major award!

Back at home, all grins and giggly, with grand stories to tell the other little cars Spank has collected, stories they can barely believe, about the struggle to get up that hill, about the scary hairpin, about being lapped every 10 minutes by the Estate and the V8olvo, and the Eyesore Miata, just about everyone it seemed. And about a tragic wreck, about the gloriously inspired NASCAR Mayer car, but mostly about being real race car racing on a real race track, inspires the homely Unimoke give it a try, and a mini to go out and get turbo'ed and take another shot at racing. Then they all hobble off to BW, where they discover that this is hard, really hard, and can be painful, but Spank and friends are there to fix you, so you simply don't give up, and you succeed, even if you don't win.

Then Spank runs a crazy idea by little Shitty. There's just one more race left in the season, one that runs through the night, and it's in Florida, in three weeks. "What do you think, little guy? Should we?"

Edit - I know an illustrator/cartoonist/writer. I'll see if she is interested.

I LOVE it!

BTW: I'm going to have a T-shirt made for all the previous sChitroen drivers. I'll make them available for others who are interested to buy as well.

355 (edited by Doug I 2011-01-06 10:09 AM)

That little Citroen can bite big_smile

wizardry?  Do we have our own Spanky Potter in our midst?

Now happily part of Speedycop.

formerly:
Ziegel Scheißhaus Racing & ReVolvolution Racing

Roland, i am one of the other drivers of the subaru along with RPONE605.  We are based in Mentor so if you ever need a hand please do not hesitate to call or email.  kistner22@gmail.com.  We should compare notes on the 2011 schedule ans see if we can caravan.

Great NEWS!  And congrats on getting hitched too...you and Stephanie make a great couple and team!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Spank wrote:

I LOVE it!

BTW: I'm going to have a T-shirt made for all the previous sChitroen drivers. I'll make them available for others who are interested to buy as well.

Count me in for one of those Spank. Double-x.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Count me in for two XLs. Thanks.

Must have!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

In for a 2x. big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

johnhef wrote:

wizardry?  Do we have our own Spanky Potter in our midst?

I about fell off the chair when i read this!!!!

Quote of the thread for sure!

363 (edited by priapism 2011-01-07 06:36 AM)

I remember at Sears Point there was a small parking area right next to the gigantic NASCAR grandstands, right along the front straight.  I found a spot there, and being too lazy to crawl to the top of the grandstand, plopped a squat indian-style on the roof of my Avalanche.  I sat there quietly viewing the odd mix of haphazard machinery fizzle by with the air of nonplussed coolness born of 6 previous Lemons races. 

Then that Citroen started trundling down the pit lane.  I went bezerk.  All Spank saw was one single lone lunatic laying on the roof of his truck shouting at the top of his lungs and waving not only both hands, but both feet.  He (or however was driving) looked at me, waved briefly, then continued the (apparently) arduous journey up the hill.  I couldn't even imagine what it took to get that thing not just running, but ready to pass tech.  Spheres!!!

Everyone can rest assured that the sChitroen is in good hands.  Roland is a well known local racer who practically lives at Nelson's Ledges. Over the past 25 years he has devoted way too much of his disposable income into low buck endurance sports car racing. He has umpteen entries at the Longest Day plus tons of sprint races.  If I were a betting man I'd expect to see the sChitroen at Gingerman or the Nelson's Chumpcar race.   

Everyone can breath easy knowing that Roland is right 'caretaker' of the sChitroen. He's paid his dues. He turns his own wrenches. He's low budget and he's fast.  He's a true Lemons competitor.

Hey Roland, if you have the car out for a test day at Nelson's I'd be more than honored if you'd let me take a lap or two in such a legendary vehicle.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the sChitroen. My first move is I need to find a shop to house the car. I have the Honda at Nelson and the Corvette under major rebuild in Columbus. I would like to find a place in the Painesville or Mentor area to start the rebuild on the car. I think the car deserves a full rebuild from the ground up... she has earned it. I will keep the suspension system but need to figure out how to make it firmer. As for the power plant this one is up in the air at the moment. Started doing some research  on all the engines and what can be done.  So anyone in the area who wants to be involved in the project, wrenching on the car...donating space...doing research and parts sourcing...etc., please email me:  hahnr@ymail.com

Now I do not have a timeline for this car to be complete but a soft goal is before the end of 2011. I want to do this right and continue her great racing heritage. As for what events it will do it is too early to tell but it will not run at any " ChumpWho???" events.

Spud, Thanks. I think that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me. And no doubt you will be doing some laps in her in the future.

To the rest of you, thank you for your support of Spank and his exploits with this car , without all of you I would not have the honor to have her in my stable. Long live the  sChitroen!

366 (edited by crazymike 2011-01-09 08:56 PM)

Olds Toronado re-power
Controllable valving to slow front-rear fluid transfer
Add leading/trailing arms to the front suspension and make adjustable to give some camber/caster
~figure out how to keep the weird shifter
~shorten ala the rally cars
~"box" Imsa flares for 10" wide tires

Judge Phil wrote:

I've been trying to talk Jay into participating in a Napoleon's Retreat From Moscow Rally. Each contestant must drive a French car. The rally starts in Moscow, Idaho and goes to Paris, Texas. In winter. Diptheria and starvation optional.

I'd run a Peugeot 504.

Hmmm....What's this I found......???

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022