Re: 2x Engine MRolla Unveiled

Why not sync the gearboxes? It's the same unit, use two sets of MR2 cables and it'll work just fine. Otherwise your autobox will keep upshifting every time you change gears. No gearbox cooler needed, either.

As for cooling, roof-mounted radiator for the back engine oughtta do it. Resist the temptation of putting it on top of the engine, as it flows almost no air in my experience (unless you go > 70mph.

A truly awesome design would be a common radiator, or a turbo on one of the motors feeding both engines big_smile

K Car Stalker

And to think my brother bugged me about trying to do up a dual 3800 Series II dragon buick. geezus, and i thought the airplane idea was insanity at it's best.

this is all kinda taking the dangerous/banned technology award to another level and yet I find myself liking it a little.

respect dude in relation to the idea to go big or go home right

Judge Phil wrote:

Mind if I use your photos for a TTAC post? I'd love the hear the curmudgeonly commenters list all the ways the car can't possibly work!

Yeah, we're ready for that.

29 (edited by random_tox 2011-03-08 02:43 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

I dunno about expertise, but I'm always happy to help any team that needs it, when I'm not wrenching on my own junk, or driving. As far as driving, I would kill for a stint! I plan to have the Death Cab there as my own car, but I'll trade ya stint for stint if you're willing, once your guys have all driven.

In case the MRolla nukes before we get everyone sufficient seat time, we're combining teams with my brother who is bringing the Snowspeeder MR2 (for what will be it's 11th race since Altamont bumpercar rally 10-2007).
http://beater-car.blogspot.com/2008/04/snowspeeder.html

Both teams will be driving both cars. That means we have 48 hours of seat time to fill, so far with 7 drivers. (We are recruiting paying drivers, but still bugging friends before we post to the HR forum.)

I'm probably going to be too busy and tired to trade seat time in anyone else's car, but come say hi Speedycop and you'll be welcome to take it out for one FOWCF* cycle . You too Phil. And Jay.

(*Fuel, Overheating, Whichever Comes First.)

Team Volatile RAM combined with Speedycop....watch out Lemons!!!!! Great idea and will look for the outcome. Good luck with the build!

#25 BuckSnort Racing
09' Nelsons / 10' American Irony, Capitol Offense, Bull Oil, Blago / 11' Gingivitis, American Irony, Shootout
12' Gingivitis, Shootout, American Irony

http://www.murileemartin.com/LBW09/LBW09-4014.jpg

Always liked this shot of the Volatile RAM car at Buttonwillow '09.

OK, the 'vdub may need to go on the shelf for yet one more race - I can see a BAD IDEA forming in my head.

Judge Phil wrote:

http://www.murileemartin.com/LBW09/LBW09-4014.jpg

Always liked this shot of the Volatile RAM car at Buttonwillow '09.

That was Joe. (My story. Sticking to it.)

I should... er, Joe should have a much better time keeping the MRolla on course because it's 4 wheel drive. Logic dictates it.

random_tox wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

I dunno about expertise, but I'm always happy to help any team that needs it, when I'm not wrenching on my own junk, or driving. As far as driving, I would kill for a stint! I plan to have the Death Cab there as my own car, but I'll trade ya stint for stint if you're willing, once your guys have all driven.

In case the MRolla nukes before we get everyone sufficient seat time, we're combining teams with my brother who is bringing the Snowspeeder MR2 (for what will be it's 11th race since Altamont bumpercar rally 10-2007).
http://beater-car.blogspot.com/2008/04/snowspeeder.html

Both teams will be driving both cars. That means we have 48 hours of seat time to fill, so far with 7 drivers. (We are recruiting paying drivers, but still bugging friends before we post to the HR forum.)

I'm probably going to be too busy and tired to trade seat time in anyone else's car, but come say hi Speedycop and you'll be welcome to take it out for one FOWCF* cycle . You too Phil. And Jay.

(*Fuel, Overheating, Whichever Comes First.)

Don't forget your friendly Pacific Northwest auto inspector!  big_smile

Glad it's coming together, can't wait to see it in the flesh.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

silly question. what are you doing about doors?

this is truly awesome.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

firegremlin wrote:

Why not sync the gearboxes? It's the same unit, use two sets of MR2 cables and it'll work just fine. Otherwise your autobox will keep upshifting every time you change gears. No gearbox cooler needed, either.

+1
Even if the ratios aren't exactly the same it'll work fine since the engine rpms aren't tied together then can adjust.

Save the manuals.

-Victor

TheEngineer wrote:

silly question. what are you doing about doors?

this is truly awesome.

We will be using the original MR2 doors in their original locations, just a bit modified.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Wow, the shot with them welded together almost looks stock. And you get to keep the same lug pattern front and rear. Bloody brilliant!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

Wow, the shot with them welded together almost looks stock. And you get to keep the same lug pattern front and rear. Bloody brilliant!

You will be surprised what a little (and I do mean Little) Bondo is going to do for us.:D

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Ha. Twin engines like this are right there at the top of my Ill-Thought-Out-Future Concepts list. I can't help but notice that there are still ways to improve upon your starting point in this field (not least in horsepower, torque, and cylinder count) - this won't be the last.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

LTDScott wrote:

It's great how much is interchangeable. Same engines front and rear. The bigger MR2 brakes bolted right on to the Corolla. The nice stock wheels are on Bender’s street MR2 and we’ll be running a set of MR2 triangles. We're hoping axles are interchangeable. Other than suspension, most of our spare MR2 parts collection is going to be direct fit.

LTDScott wrote:

The lines are very similar. This notion first occurred to me when the AE92 coupe first appeared and from a distance I kept mistaking them for MR2s.

sublimate wrote:

Even if the ratios aren't exactly the same it'll work fine since the engine rpms aren't tied together then can adjust.

Save the manuals.

The concern lies with linking to a single shift lever. Even if front and rear wheels happened to be spinning at the exact same speed when we shift, the engines will rev down at different rates. One tranny will be ready to slip into gear before the other. One is going to grind.

We could avoid that by keeping separate shift levers, but then shifting will become a very long complex manual operation, probably 3x as long as a normal shift. Instead of press, shift, release we would have to press, shift, change grip, shift, release. Could be done but will quickly eat away at any performance improvement two engines get us in the first place, and in chaotic track situations it could be dangerously distracting.

Our solution is manual up front, automatic rear, and both throttle cables to the same pedal. We leave the rear in drive. Whenever we release the throttle pedal to shift the manual, the automatic will disengage. Then after the manual shift when we are back on the throttle, automatic kicks back in. We basically drive normally and hopefully both transmissions last the race.

I think a soft bushing at the attachment point for one of the linkages will fix the synchro problem. You'll have to be smoother with the shifter. As for rev-matching, just sync both throttle cables and both fixed idle screws, then both motors should rev the same. You can use a motorcycle carb balancer to do the adjustments, even.

I think this isn't as much about a performance improvement as it is about not throwing your rear end out when your autobox decides that you no longer want 3rd and will shift into 1st instead.

Are you gonna have two gauge clusters, one for each engine?

K Car Stalker

Awesomely awesome awesomeness!
In case you've never seen this, maybe it will have some tips:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car … ialty_file

i've been beaten to the punch, it seems. i started to put together a twin-engine car for the Rod Blagojovich 500, but was hampered with funding issues. (couldn't put a team together to help with race entry costs and so forth.)

good show! may our deathtraps meet on the track someday. *thumbs up*

Jackpot Motorwerks

Serj - "Lemons is 70% arts and crafts, and 25% maniacal wrench-fests...only 5% is actually racing."

I just had a vision of two gear shifters side by side linked with a solid link (joints at each attachment point) so that when you move one shifter the other moves in unison. I think this would be awesome.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

NemesisDN wrote:

Awesomely awesome awesomeness!
In case you've never seen this, maybe it will have some tips:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car … ialty_file

Thanks!

Yeah we'd seen that. It somewhat confirmed our decision to go with an automatic rear.

The one about the twin Hyundai Tiburon was another we found in our research.

I'm so glad I can finally talk about this car in public! Reno is going to be AWESOME!!!

That Car and Driver article may provide your motto: Not as impractical as imagined!

What better endorsement could you get?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

TeamPettyCash wrote:

-Matt

Of course not! You're first in line. Just shove Speedycop if he gets in your way.

random_tox wrote:
TeamPettyCash wrote:

-Matt

Of course not! You're first in line. Just shove Speedycop if he gets in your way.

Better bring help. I'm a scrawny 5'9" bastard, but I'm pretty damn wiry. And I'm VERY keen on driving this beast. smile

Hoonatic, I was gonna do that kind of shifter linkage i nthe MR2. Same shift pattern but slightly different throws. It will work, but it won't be ideal, and shifts would have to be gentle. The nice thing about the twin V8 car I'm building is that they are the same year/make/model with autos, so it's just a matter of synching the throttles.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT