Topic: Paddock car sabotage overnight at Sears...WEAK!!

Someone thought it would be funny to get into people cars on Saturday night and cause our cars to run poorly by adding water to the gas tank, pulling spark plug wires or draining the battery overnight...

I've heard of four separate instances so far.
Someone pulled our spark plug wire from our #4 cylinder.

We found it during our driver change two hours in.

What, do we have to hire security or put our cars/fuel jugs under lock?
Really disappointing. The race is hard enough.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: Paddock car sabotage overnight at Sears...WEAK!!

I wasn't there but there is good chance it came off on its own otherwise if you didn't notice your car was missing a cylinder for two hours......

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

Someone powered up our car, causing dead battery Sun AM. Fortunately we carry a spare battery.
The car was tarped, so they really wanted to cause ... mischief. I too heard of water in fuel tanks and cars being turned sideways in the pit (WTF?)

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

Water in the fuel sucks, that is really bad if it really happened.  Also couldn't it be that someone on your team was testing something and accidentally left it on overnight?

Our battery kill switch has a removable key which we do not leave in the car over night so that unauthorized people can't turn it on.

We chatted about this extensively during Trekkor's webcast.  There was lots of speculation about the water in the T GT's tank. but it certainly sounded like there was no chance of it happening due to rain, moisture, mislabeled jugs, etc.  Eyesore's Miata was turned 90° from where they left it and the dead battery was not likely to happen due to human error leaving something on.  The only one I can see happening by accident is the spark plug wire on the ZX2 since they did some engine work Saturday night. 

If and when the perps are caught, and if they are racers and not hooligan spectators, there should be an automatic lifetime ban from entering races, attending races, or even joining the Lemons forum.

BTW, the official name is Watergasgate.  I can't remember who claimed rights to naming it on the webcast, but I'm sure they'll chime in.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Tullamore wrote:

Our battery kill switch has a removable key which we do not leave in the car over night so that unauthorized people can't turn it on.

Also remove your key so that nobody can steal it, would really be bad if you couldn't power up your car the next morning.

Not cool.  We leave the car unlocked, we leave the trailer unlocked, and I have never worried about anything.  We loan tools with abandon, and I don't think twice.  I really hope this doesn't spread.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

We noticed right away. We decided to keep running instead of coming in.
We were taking advice online during our streaming video's online chat feature.

We were pitted right next to the car that got the water in the fuel tank.
Spark plug wires don't fall off. ( or do they? )

When we came in for our driver change, I checked every electrical connection I could get to.
When I found the loose plug wire, I was glad we fixed the problem, but now I'm really let down by someone's conduct.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

When we finished our night's work, we tested the car.
It ran great.

Sunday morning, the driver was complaining of power loss on pit out.

KT

Someone stole our fire extinguisher Oh the day friday in the middle of the day I think of all the Lemons guys family never lock anything. talk to the judges make it back east there was a lot of theft.
The eyesore miata was turned sidewaysby the Spin and out guys in Good fun I saw them do it that's a good times

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

trekkor wrote:

...but now I'm really let down by someone's conduct...

Disappointing. An actual prank someone would own up to.

Water in the gas? That's not even close to funny. Someone stupid enough to try that is going to get caught more often than not and take a serious beating.

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

trekkor wrote:

Spark plug wires don't fall off. ( or do they? )

sure they do...why not?

my old Protege spit a sparkplug out of the engine on the middle of the Ohio Turnpike once.  i learned how to break into my car using a coat hanger that day.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Turning the car 90 degrees from where the team parked it, that's a harmless prank, all the rest is really more cheating than pranking.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Water in the gas tank?

Wasn't it raining that weekend?

-Victor

sublimate wrote:

Water in the gas tank?

Wasn't it raining that weekend?

I believe the rain stopped Saturday afternoon and the car was covered overnight from what I read.  The tank had 2.5 gallons of water in it Sunday morning.  They checked all of their gas cans and none had any water in them.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

16 (edited by OverStimulated 2011-03-28 12:55 PM)

fabtoys wrote:

The eyesore miata was turned sidewaysby the Spin and out guys in Good fun I saw them do it that's a good times

Actually, it wasn't Spin N Out, it was us...  Team SheenMachine...  Certainly harmless intentions though it seems less so in light of the other "pranks"!

That is why we lock the car and all our stuff in our trailer at night, better safe than sorry. 

Someone did put cheese whiz on our RV and trailer door handles, not the same magnatude but still sucked to clean up Sunday morning.

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

We agonized over all the theories of how the water got in the Model T GT's fuel cell.  We ran all the scenarios because we really didn't want to believe that someone would do something like that.  But, unfortunately, the only theory that worked given the evidence was that water went directly into the fuel cell.  Hearing that other cars were messed with overnight makes this sound more probable, now.  Sorry to the others who were f'd with, but I am relieved to hear that it seems like this was just random crapdone by incredibly stupid people.  I was really worried we were singled out.  We lost a couple laps until we diagnosed the issue and then drained enough fuel out into a drain pan to get mostly past the water.  We got on to track late and the car ran like shit for the first 15 minutes.

I've been going to autocrosses and racetracks for about 20 years now and have never had anything stolen or messed with.  This is super, super, super disappointing.

I wish the guilty parties good luck in racing and life, because karma is a bitch.

It sounds like more than just the T-GT was messed with.....totally unacceptable!!!  I am all for good hearted pranks like turning Eyesores car sideways....thats funny and harmless...but dead batteries, pulled plug wires and especially water in gas is NOT COOL..... 

I hope the culprits are found and suitably booted for life from Lemons!  There is no place for sabotage in racing & when our cars are already challenged in the reliability area, why make things worse....

I am impressed with fastbears response...very cool and mature....I don't think I would have handled it this well.....  karma can be a very cruel mistress!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I'm kinda hurt, honestly. No other way I can say it. I don't know if it was random or we were targeted. As many times as I've seen other racers chip in elbows deep to help competetors and even done so myself, it's something I have a hard time wrapping my head around.
Despite this happening, I had had a great time, as did the rest of the team. It could have been worse, and we still have a car to race and I had a way to get home. Good enough for me.

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...

dtfastbear wrote:

I wish the guilty parties good luck in racing and life, because karma is a bitch.

+1

that is some bush-league nonsense.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

22 (edited by Crab Spirits 2011-03-28 03:18 PM)

Plug wires can pop off by themselves.
-Installer not pushing the wire onto the plug until positive lock is achieved
-Bumped during service
-Leaking plug blowing wire out of plug well
-Short boot on incorrect wires pulling the wire out of the well under vibration (Had this happen many times on an EJ25)

Another thing that occurred to me regarding WATERGASGATE is water in the track's tank. Did you guys fill from it? I want to think this is mother nature pulling one on you guys because.

A.It was pouring during the weekend.
B.This is California, where it never rains. When it rains, I imagine you guys get some surprises.
C.I imagine a gang of people running around with water jugs (at least 2.5 gallons worth for at least 1 car) checking whose fuel cells are easily accessed, through a paddock filled with people, sabotaging cars unseen. I imagine this, and it just doesn't add up. Also they would have to have some really f-ed motives that I don't want to believe people in this series have.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Doing any of the above (besides the 90 degree turn) will get you shot in Texas.

By a Judge.  (Hi Scott!)

Just sayin'

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

In desert racing with Best in the Desert after tech your car is put in impound with security but we still used to duct tape our gas caps and doors That way we could tell if someone messed with it. We had $15k to $500k cars there.

KARMA is a bitch and she visit. Those people later.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Coming up on our car on Sunday morning and finding it in a different orientation than we left it was funny and we appreciated the good-natured prank. 

When we heard about the other stuff, though... Not cool.  Thankfully, the Model T has top notch mechanics aside from being unbelievably driven, so the team was still able to make it out to the track before the green flag flew, but they still missed their position on the grid.  That "prank" could have cost a lesser team their day or their engine. 

I just don't understand the maliciousness of messing with another team's car.  We're all here to have fun and compete and I think that 99.9% of people at the track abide by that simple idea.  I want to believe that there is a simple explanation for what happened because I hate to think that one of our fellow racers would stoop to sabotage or think that it is funny to potentially ruin someone's weekend.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."