Re: 2x Engine MRolla Unveiled

two engine tiburon with 600 hp drag and donuts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yofZIcTkCiw

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

The Duorocco is in Columbus, built by Anson.  I've seen it in person and it's awesome.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Brilliant.

That's all I got.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Just got the update over the phone from Paul. The MRolla passed tech on the first try and everybody got a turn in it out on track during test/tune. They are going to put it on the trailer for the night (rather than running night practice) so that everybody gets in race laps. He said that the body roll is really significant (2 engines on MR2 econobox springs will do that) but predictable and that with the 2 engines, it climbs the hills at Reno with aplomb.

Also -- no surprise -- everybody loves it. They were put into class C -- what else would we expect?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the update Pat.  Glad to hear it has some time on the track already.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Paul just texted me an update. They have their 3rd driver in the car right now at 2.5 hours into the race. They are taking short stints to start so that everybody gets a turn in case it goes ka-blooey somewhere down the way. They thought that they were going to have to change the rear alternator but it was just that the wire had gone off.  Otherwise it's slow but continuing along...

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

This is an absolutely brilliant machine.  Thank you so much guys for letting me drive it! 

You deserve hero status for your madness and skill in putting this together. 

Believe it or not folks, once this thing gets sorted a bit and grows a fuel tank larger than a thimble, you have something to fear.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Did it finish?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

Did it finish?

It did! They also won the Organizer's Choice award!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

So it is a sound idea. Can we get any commentary on drivability? Handling characteristics?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

111 (edited by RichVS 2011-05-16 01:42 PM)

I don't want to steal anyone's fire, but it was a little like driving a sporty hatch (FX16, GTI etc) with two people in the back seat.  Unlike that hatch though,  when you had the front transmission in the right gear, it would accelerate.  A Very cool car, and a very cool team, thanks guys!

I suppose the next step in the madness will be a Cadillac Cimarron/Fiero with twin Iron Dukes.  I'm not sure which end would get Horrible Yank Tank and which would get Index.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

From my perspective (raced only in our MR2), it handled nearly opposite from the 'simple' MR2... which is great in the corners and not so über-fast in the straights. The MRolla caught me off-guard a few times (thus my 1st black flag in 8 races) in the corners, not as tight, but especially the front straight - whoa! Almost felt like someone/thing was pushing. Oh wait, there WAS something pushing/pulling! Now if we can just figure out how to get me just a wee bit closer to the steering wheel...

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

EyeMWing wrote:

So it is a sound idea. Can we get any commentary on drivability? Handling characteristics?

Friday Test and tune: Car had body roll worse than a Drunken Sailor. Cut 1" out of front coils.
Saturday: Body roll almost gone, engines working well together. No issues with the engines trying to fight for position in the corners. Going up hills was awesome! The auto rear would push it up the hill and when you needed to shift from 2nd to 3rd there wasn't any loss of momentum in fact it would still be accelerating through the corners during shifts.
Corners were an issue for the Auto: We left it in drive and sometimes it couldn't decide what gear it wanted.
Acceleration in the straight was downright scary, hitting 90 mph before the first S-Curve on the front straight was awesome but the suspension got a little hard to handle at 95 mph. We were not trying to set any records and we wanted the car to last all weekend. Which it did, TOTAL SURPRISE TO US!

Larry can update with his version of how it was, but for both of us this car was awesome and far exceeded either of our expectations.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

I would have been happy (and half expected) to make a few laps, drop a transmission on the ground, then push it back out on one engine for the checker. I think I was a bit more optimistic than Bender, but it went far beyond my wildest delusions of grandeur.

If we stiff this marshmallow up and get serious about racing it, it will contend.

I was most surprised by the fuel efficiency. I got 2.5 hours before running it dry and coasting down the chute to paddock entrance. Granted there was about 30 minutes of course-wide yellow on that tank, but that's still great.

The hill climb was my favorite section. Silly strong pull.

Loved the 4WD traction pulling out of the tighter corners.

It had a lot of lean but I think it was actually quite sticky while the tires were still good. My guess is Judy's flag was a result of more power rather than less traction than the MR2. This thing felt planted to me.

Except on the front straight. It was really floaty on the snaky part. Spooky.

I've finished off the photo album documenting the build: https://picasaweb.google.com/bike.cruis … aTheBuild#

Try http://picasaweb.google.com/bike.cruise … aTheBuild# instead. The https means we can't access it. Of course, I can't access it anyways because of the firewall here at work.

I spent the weekend wishing I was there but we just couldn't .Still i really enjoyed checking hourly results and was always happy to see you guys still going. I hope you will be there at T Hill our next race  (#85 snowballs chance in hell mr2) can't wait to see Mrolla in person. This is a tech ? but when you say you cut 1 " off front spring did you cut 1" from height 1 coil or 1 " of length  of coil? We cut 1/2 coil for sears but want to go lower and stiffer Thanks.

Duck Die nasty Button turibble 13  60 somthinish  Snowballs Chance in Hell 85 MR2
The Skankaway Anti-Toe-Fungal 500  16th  WOOHOO
Arsesweat apaoooza 2011  90th Arsesweat 2012 36th
Sears pointless 2011 47th 2012 118th

You guys are awesome!  We were pitted right beside the hot pit and every time I saw you guys head out to the track (which seemed like a lot of times) it made me smile and I cheered for you.  Way to go!

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

Thanks everyone!

bossnova wrote:

I spent the weekend wishing I was there but we just couldn't .Still i really enjoyed checking hourly results and was always happy to see you guys still going. I hope you will be there at T Hill our next race  (#85 snowballs chance in hell mr2) can't wait to see Mrolla in person. This is a tech ? but when you say you cut 1 " off front spring did you cut 1" from height 1 coil or 1 " of length  of coil? We cut 1/2 coil for sears but want to go lower and stiffer Thanks.

Thanks! Yeah there was a serious lack of AW11 at Reno. Only one half of an MR2 made this race. It made me happy to see the Paseo running and Cannonball Bandits Supra, but the Toyota turn out was tiny.

We cut just one coil from the lower spring which was probably just more than 1 inch of height. Made a huge difference.

Not sure when/where the MRolla will surface again. Hopefully this fall. Living 8-12 hours from the nearest 24HL events makes racing logistics tough. The MRolla pretty much race ready but Bender has some other projects on his plate right now and the last two months has burned me out. I'm ready to just pay for a seat in a car that I don't have to prep and haul so I'll be racing ORP with the Snowspeeder. I wish Denver was not so soon after Oregon or that would be a target for the MRolla. I only have so many races in me or in my budget each season.

pgeorgeson wrote:

You guys are awesome!  We were pitted right beside the hot pit and every time I saw you guys head out to the track (which seemed like a lot of times) it made me smile and I cheered for you.  Way to go!

Thanks!

random_tox wrote:

Except on the front straight. It was really floaty on the snaky part. Spooky.

There's a cheap and relatively easy fix for that. Ask Paul how I cured it on our MR2 (he's intimately familiar with it since he tried to break it off in test/tune at Houston in February smile ) or email me.

Larry there Is seats available on any of my cars. If needed. No Toyota's though.
The limo will be at Buttonwillow but she's a cruiser not a racer
I'll should have stereo working to keep you awake.! LOL!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

I think once you guys get this thing sorted it could make some waves. Congrats!

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

I think once you guys get this thing sorted it could make some waves. Congrats!

220hp? With2400 could be a serious contender. Getting to the 2-3: hours on fuel might need some work. LOL!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI … 844wt_1109

Twin-Engine 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado!!
Check out the video - the engine start stop sequence etc. is pretty cool.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF