1 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-08-16 06:35 PM)

Topic: Parking Brake? ABS?

So, I've decided to try to build a big Lexus. I want to get it as light as I can, yet still look like a real car. I'm almost ready for cage, and have almost all the mechanicals done. Couple questions:

1. Do I need a parking brake? Unlike some of my other cars, its not needed for rear brake adjustment, and since its an automatic, I can just put it in Park can't I? This ok for towing and whatnot? (never done much with automatics before, so not sure). Yanking it would be good for another 20lb or so, thus I'll yank it unless somebody thinks I need it.

2. ABS? Keep or ditch? I think its working, but not sure it will hold up in race conditions? What's the failure mode of these things? - Will it still work non-abs if the pump fails? This is another failure point, and a bunch of nose weight (these old ABS systems are HUGE!). I'm thinking of keeping, but would like more info before I decide.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

2 (edited by FJ40Jim 2009-08-17 08:13 AM)

Re: Parking Brake? ABS?

Park brake is not required by the current rules.  And brakes are "free", so do what you want, just keep it safe.

When I worked at toyota dealership, we never saw Toy ABS failures, other than the occasional rusty dust covered WSS.  If that happens, the ECU can't read wheel speed accurately and it will light the MIL and go to failsafe, which means not engaging ABS.  Brakes will simply function as normal.  ABS function will be restored as soon as sensor is cleaned and ECU is reset.

At the same dealership we saw plenty of chrysler stuff w/ bad Bendix ABS and outrageous repair costs, but that is a different story.

PS, after your celica spat out the orange barrel, it went under our car, lifting the rear tire, causing an immediate spin into the wall.  Thanks. tongue

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

3 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-08-17 05:40 PM)

FJ40Jim wrote:

Park brake is not required by the current rules.  And brakes are "free", so do what you want, just keep it safe.

When I worked at toyota dealership, we never saw Toy ABS failures, other than the occasional rusty dust covered WSS.  If that happens, the ECU can't read wheel speed accurately and it will light the MIL and go to failsafe, which means not engaging ABS.  Brakes will simply function as normal.  ABS function will be restored as soon as sensor is cleaned and ECU is reset.

At the same dealership we saw plenty of chrysler stuff w/ bad Bendix ABS and outrageous repair costs, but that is a different story.

PS, after your celica spat out the orange barrel, it went under our car, lifting the rear tire, causing an immediate spin into the wall.  Thanks. tongue

Doh!! Sorry about that... That's what we get for letting our youngest driver out there when it was getting crazy. Worse yet, due to some team "difficulties", we will be driving that same wrecked Celica at CMP soon.

Thanks for the other info.. So, its no worry to tow the car with it in park vs. using the parking brake then?

Here's captioned build pics of the Lex on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … amp;ref=nf

Thus far I've got
Car: $300
Battery box: $12 with free shipping from Amazon
Serpentine belt: $19
Coilover kit $35 shipped.

Thats pretty much it, and its ready for safety equipment. I didn't change airfilter, plugs, wires, hoses or anything... Hopefully it will hang together!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

No biggie on the barrel incident.  It's racing, sh1t happens.

Towing in P?  You mean it's ona trailer, right?  Not a problem.  Drive it on the trailer, loosely position straps, shift to N, tighten straps for transport, shift back to P.

The facebook pics look very promising. Consider moving the driver's seat toward the center of the car to get driver elbow away from the cage, and for better weight distribution.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

No biggie on the barrel incident.  It's racing, sh1t happens.

Towing in P?  You mean it's ona trailer, right?  Not a problem.  Drive it on the trailer, loosely position straps, shift to N, tighten straps for transport, shift back to P.

The facebook pics look very promising. Consider moving the driver's seat toward the center of the car to get driver elbow away from the cage, and for better weight distribution.

lol.. yeah, towing in park, not dragging....

Its a Lexus, so I have acres of room on my left, and I'm already nearly sitting in the back seat.  I don't want to move the driver over because too low a return on that investment. I am moving as much mass as I can off the nose, and trying to keep the weight within the wheelbase and roll center as much as I can, but it still needs to look like a street car to make me happy. With 50% more weight, but double the brakes and HP of my good road racing car, it should still be pretty peppy. The most experimenting I'll have to do is alignment and spring rates.

PS, I've had some fun VeeDubs too, and would love a MKI Scirocco again. (I have a Touareg and Audi A4 for street drivers)