Topic: Best race car interior color?

Our interior is currently red, which probably makes our team drive too aggressively and rack up penalties.  It also limits exterior color choices.

White might be nice, but it seems like it would get bright when the sun shines in and would mess with your vision.

Black would get probably get just get hot on sunny days and worsen our interior heat problems.

Flat gray would seem ideal, but that's awfully boring...

Any thoughts?

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Re: Best race car interior color?

We did the Parnelli Jones Galaxie interior w/ a nice glossy gray.  It seems to clean up better than flat paint too.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/kirchbed/The%2067%20Galaxie/IMG_2975.jpg

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

"Whatever the hell the factory put in there"

Seriously, this is Lemons. In what way does exterior color need to match interior? We have a white car with a black interior.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

We started with a black car that had a gloss dark gray interior. The only real problems we had with heat was at Summit Point last year when the cat made one area of the floor pan so hot it melted one of our drivers shoes a little bit.

http://pic.phyrefile.com/q/qu/quiky/2010/06/06/DSC00159.jpg

Don't let your interior color limit what the outside looks like, inside the car looks the same but now the outside looks like this.

http://pic.phyrefile.com/p/pu/punisherbass/2011/06/01/Tech_1.JPG

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

What? You couldn't find someone to watch the cat while you went racing?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Well we didn't have our killer mascot at the time to do the job.

http://pic.phyrefile.com/q/qu/quiky/2011/06/19/20110619-shelby1.jpg

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

DC Doug - Nice, digging the industrial gray.  Good point about easier cleanup with glossy paint...

EyeMWing - Why do you think our interior is red in the fist place? wink

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

+1 on the gray. I'd paint the engine bay, but that makes it look less lemoney. Gray is ideal because it's not too bright, but it shows leaks, spills, trash, etc. Gloss is better than flat for cleaning.

I like tan myself- rustoleum makes a nice light tan.  Light stays cooler, and easier to see leaks.  But its not blindingly blinding like white is.  Plus I prefer earth tones over gray.  Gray is just sooo...grey.  Gray?  Grey?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

We broke out the Hammered Finish Silver Rustoleum for our interior.  Turned out pretty good, and kind of hides the dents from trying to hammer the sound deadening material out.

Unintentional Jackson Pollock, sprinkled with dirt, gear oil, trans fluid, leaves, zip ties, silly string, beer, gatorade.

Ideally we'd choose a lighter color, but it would take so much scrubbing to clean the car so paint would stick, not even worth it now.

I wanted to paint the cage black on one side (that the driver sees) and neon pink or lime green on the other side (not seen by the driver.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

EriktheAwful wrote:

Gray is ideal because it's not too bright, but it shows leaks, spills, trash, etc. Gloss is better than flat for cleaning.

+1

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0

Is primer a color?

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

The coROLLa was originally a red car, so the interior is red.  The exterior was red, then professionally painted white, then we rattle canned on taxi yellow, now it is going to black one quarter panel at a time.  it is beautiful!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Just another indicator Lemons is getting out of hand... "Raw" color is the lemon color - whatever is under the carpet.. .If you are gonna paint it though, I favor light gray gloss as it is easy to clean, easy to spot leaks, and doesn't heat the car or reflect too much.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Stick with brown, hides the mess when you screw up wink

It Ain't My Fault

I'd recommend a light color of your choice in a semi-gloss to gloss finish. 

Flat adsorbs grease way to much.

Any paint we have put on our interior is white with plenty of factory yellow left.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Dave wrote:

Stick with brown, hides the mess when you screw up wink

This beforeI've had my coffee!  Laughing.

thanks.

This space for rent.

Interior: Gloss light grey (Ford tractor grey from fleetfarm)
Cage: White or grey. Paint the rollcage satin black round the windshield.
Engine bay:  gloss white.
Exterior: Anything the sponsor likes

just my $.014 worth...

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  Jim, your mention of Fleet Farm implement paint made me laugh...our cage is currently IH Red--we have a huge Fleet Farm in Rochester smile  Might have to switch our tractor affiliation to Ford when I get around to it...

21 (edited by mike944 2011-06-26 09:43 PM)

Um, how about whatever color is left over when you finish removing all the unnecessary parts?

Ours is a mix of factory finish, leftover seam sealer residue that wouldn't come off,  sound deadener glue residue, plasma cutter burn sparks, welding spatter, greasy fingerprints, and last but not least, cage paint overspray!

Paint adds unnecessary weight!

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

The right color is whatever is on sale.  This I know. 

We use tractor paint and add hardner (because it makes us feel more like real painters).

b

This space for rent.

Um, how about whatever color is left over when you finish removing all the unnecessary parts?... Paint adds unnecessary weight!

It's not unnecessary if you park your lemon outside in the elements. I keep having to reapply paint from time to time to keep it from turning into rust.

That said, I haven't fully painted the interior yet. The cage is coated and some rust spots have been cleaned and painted. Some day I'll wire-brush all the glue and crap out and paint it, but I have other priorities.

Pale yellow, green and brown. I achieve that by parking under a sycamore tree for 2 years.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

25 (edited by Team BenzGay 2011-06-27 08:54 PM)

They say taupe is very soothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94dWbZr … detailpage

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."