Topic: Houston cage builder?

Does anyone have recommendations for a cage builder in the greater Houston area? Preferably one that won't bust the budget smile

Re: Houston cage builder?

We bought a kit from AutoWeld and installed it ourselves.

Sergio from Team Red Rocket Revival might chime in though.

Rudy - rudedog - Team Fall Guy Stuntman Association

The guys at Apex Vinly can help you with a cage.  Here's the info: Richard Tomlin <apexvinyl@gmail.com>.

He runs a body shop and a couple of cars in Lemons.  He's probably your best bet for a reasonable install.

I've talked to the guys at Bumbera's too.  As we talked about it more, the price kept going up, $1000 to $1500+.

An Autopower or Kirk bolt-in or weld-in cage will run you around $1000 shipped to your door.

There are other less expensive options depending on your tools and abilities.  We used a Jegster kit which requires a lot of notching and welding. 

My concern is that they may bump roll cage standards to DOM in the future.  My cage won't meet that standard.  I've been meaning to ask the powers that be about future cage requirements.  It may not happen but I figure it will as long as Lemons continues on.  Whether that's next year or years from now but maybe it will never happen.  So I could be worried about nothing.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I had Bumbera's do our cage. We supplied the tubing and they installed it for $800. I would think there's someone in the Spring area that can do a cage. Bumbera's is off of I-10W & Hwy 6.

The guys at Apex Vinly can help you with a cage.  Here's the info: Richard Tomlin <apexvinyl@gmail.com>.

+1 on using Richard's shop.

Team Apex Vinyl: 1977 Toyota Truck
Gator-O-Rama 2009 Dangerous Banned Technology
Yee-Haw 2011 Index Of Effluency
Gator-O-Rama 2012 I Got Screwed

From a message from Jay:

"Cages: a) I don't plan on going to DOM at the moment, but as soon as some idiot crushes himself with a seamed cage, you'd better believe our insurer will make us go DOM. Would you rather spend $1000 once, or $700 twice?"

So you may want to strongly consider a DOM cage.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks, y'all. I was planning to specify DOM... better safe than sorry.
Sounds like those two recommendations would both be cheaper than my first quote. ($2400+)
I'll shoot an email out the Richard at Apex.

Longhorn Raceworks at MSR installs Lemons cages for $1500.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Try Hal at Metalcraft Fabrications. 832-518-7793.  He built ours last time and we made it through tech, no problem.

If you want to make the trip up to Dallas. The guy that did our cage did it for $800 or $900 (I can't remember).  That included the DOM tubing.  He even built us a bracket to mount our circle track seat on the factory seat adjuster and put in additional gussets.  Destroyer Chassis 817-561-9634

#83 FUBAR Racing
7x Loser