Topic: WHAT have I done!!!!!!

Well, I got a perfectly good, clean, undamaged 92 Lexus LS400 repo for the grand sum of $300! AND, Tomorrow, a guy I recently met is GIVING me a RWD Toyota Corolla GT-S (Sans motor).... What's a car guy to do? Mwaaaaahahahahhhaa! I never thought I could pull this off, but yes, I'm gonna build a v8 powered franken-Corolla, and within the cost rules! Only expense should be shortening a driveshaft. .. Stay tuned smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Re: WHAT have I done!!!!!!

Sounds like a beast

in more ways than one

Spinnetti wrote:

I'm gonna build a v8 powered franken-Corolla, and within the cost rules! Only expense should be shortening a driveshaft. .. Stay tuned smile

Yes! Now we're talking! Just, you know, make sure you have very convincing paperwork when you roll that thing up to the BS Inspection- we'd hate to slap such a great Lemons concept with 800 penalty laps.

You can get a custom driveshaft made for $150 or so- plenty of shops make them.

so...umm, where do I sign up as a driver? and where do i have to go to help/participate?

MurileeMartin wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I'm gonna build a v8 powered franken-Corolla, and within the cost rules! Only expense should be shortening a driveshaft. .. Stay tuned smile

Yes! Now we're talking! Just, you know, make sure you have very convincing paperwork when you roll that thing up to the BS Inspection- we'd hate to slap such a great Lemons concept with 800 penalty laps.

You can get a custom driveshaft made for $150 or so- plenty of shops make them.

Well, that's the trick ain't it... The Lexus was a repo (no title), but I did get a bill of sale, and I think they notarized it too. I don't know how to prove I got the Corolla for free though, since that is a parts car, also with no title. I was going to photo document the pickup tonight, but thats all I got for that....

PS, I'm also on the Toyota team with the FX and the Celica in matching livery that seems to either get wrecked or blow up at every event... this is to replace the Celica!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Serj wrote:

so...umm, where do I sign up as a driver? and where do i have to go to help/participate?

Well, Serj, assuming my co-workers agree to the project on Saturday, then we are full up, but if they get all wimpy and chicken, then I'll build it on my own and will probably have a seat. I have a buddy in Toledo area building up a Neon for Nelson... I can ask him if he has an open seat.

Spinnetti wrote:

Well, that's the trick ain't it... The Lexus was a repo (no title), but I did get a bill of sale, and I think they notarized it too. I don't know how to prove I got the Corolla for free though, since that is a parts car, also with no title. I was going to photo document the pickup tonight, but thats all I got for that....

I'm already beginning to smell a BS story that is so full of crap that even an industrial-grade, turbo-powered, titanium-tipped, Harbor Freight weekly special, one-size-fits-all, cross-drilled and safety-wired plunger with matching numbers couldn't unplug the flaming toilet that this story is headed for...

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

8 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-05-08 10:10 AM)

professional.dreamer wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I'm already beginning to smell a BS story that is so full of crap that even an industrial-grade, turbo-powered, titanium-tipped, Harbor Freight weekly special, one-size-fits-all, cross-drilled and safety-wired plunger with matching numbers couldn't unplug the flaming toilet that this story is headed for...

I know you don't know me, but there's no BS about me. The craigs list ad is still up for the Lexus, and I have no intention of any BS as I have no need. I'm as surprised as anybody to get this deal together, and I have been pouring through media and working every contact I have for months to find the stuff. I don't give a rats a$$ if I get a 2,000 lap penalty. I'm going to do it within the rules, and am doing it for fun. Nothing else matters, though I'd be disappointed if we get the curse. We also finally came up with a good theme after 3 lame themed races, and that will be fun too.

Hey Spinnetti!  I applaud your tenacity and resolve.  Go for it!  I'm glad that you acknowledge that the story sounds implausible and a little thin, so I'd suggest you spend copious amounts of time on Photoshop and Dreamweaver "assisting" the documentation that you're going to need.  Also, consider cutting the roof off.  Nothing looks rattier than a sawed-off sedan.  It'll help the story...

Good luck!
John

10 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-05-08 10:40 AM)

Spinnetti wrote:

Having done an easy Lemons V8 swap, using a nice compact pushrod Ford Windsor and a great big Volvo 240 engine compartment... well, even that job was a total ball-buster that killed countless weekends and left my knuckles looking like hamburger meat for months (the engine and trans mounts were no sweat, but that's only about 2% of the labor involved).

Putting a wide SOHC V8 (and its no-doubt-bulky transmission) into a cramped-ass Corolla- a chassis never designed for any form of V engine- and then getting the ECM to work right, finding room for the accessories, cooling the thing, keeping the differential alive... well, anyone willing to take on such madness is entitled to a certain amount of judicial suspension-of-disbelief during the BS inspection. That said, if it looks like a checkbook job and not a gallons-o-sweat job, we're gonna be blasting out rapid fire penalty laps like Rambo got bullets.

Two things to keep in mind here:

1. Engine power doesn't help all that much at Lemons (compare the performance of the 4-cylinder Fox Mustangs versus the V8 ones for a good illustration of this).

2. We love stupid engine swaps anyway.

MurileeMartin wrote:

1. Engine power doesn't help all that much at Lemons (compare the performance of the 4-cylinder Fox Mustangs versus the V8 ones for a good illustration of this).

Yeah, I know. Its the spirit of the thing, not me trying to build a winning fast car (I think I can do that too, but that's not as fun). Here's some interesting factoids about the project:
1. I really am going to do this within budget and without any hokeyness. I probably won't even have to sell the Lex parts to make it
2. This ain't my first dance. I've done several Toyota engine swaps with JDM suff, some of them before anybody else - google my user name and might see my 20V MR2 for instance.
3. I've got all the tools, but won't need as many of them as you might think.
     a. Engine fits with NO MODS TO ENGINE BAY
     b. Engine fits with NO MODS TO CROSS MEMBER
     c. Trans fits with NO MODS to tunnel - well the supra manual does. In fact, using the supra trans, the shifter is in the stock location!. Not sure how this will work with the auto though (manual conversion is a budget buster).
4. Weight is not significantly more than the cast iron 4 that was in there. Can run same springs as with the stock motor
5. I've ridden in a car with this done - that's what got me started down this path... its amazing and drives just fine - his car has pics on the web
6. Only real fab is just motor mount adapters, rear trans mount, and a modified driveshaft (figure I'd use the lex shaft with the Corolla rear spider grafted on to it).

13 (edited by professional.dreamer 2009-05-08 12:06 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

I love point #2.  I'm surprised that nobody has entered a Jag with the standard 350 Chevy conversion.  The exo-skelton Jag should have considered that instead of spending some much money, money, money and time on their "frame."

John

I'm surprised that nobody has entered a Jag with the standard 350 Chevy conversion.

There's one that we've seen at several California races. Team Old Dogs New Tricks, aka Safari West. Always had a lot of mechanical problems (imagine that!).

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/11/medium_2012440666_4d67032538_o.jpg

The Project is a go!!!

I got the free Corolla, yes Free. Let the madness begin.. when I post pictures, you'll see why it was free, but still! Now comes the hard part.

PS, how do you attach pictures? have to externally host? (yuk)

Ok, where are you?  I might actually want in on this project.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Judge Murilee -- I didn't know that was Chevy powered?!!  It had so many mechanical problems at AMP, I figured it was all Jag!  I didn't even bother to go look...

John

Judge Murilee -- I didn't know that was Chevy powered?!!  It had so many mechanical problems at AMP, I figured it was all Jag!  I didn't even bother to go look...

Yes, and the sad thing was that most of the mechanical problems seemed to be engine-related. I recall seeing them at Thunderhill with a Q-Jet in a million pieces on the fender.

Spinnetti wrote:

The Project is a go!!!

I got the free Corolla, yes Free. Let the madness begin.. when I post pictures, you'll see why it was free, but still! Now comes the hard part.

PS, how do you attach pictures? have to externally host? (yuk)

I want to do a piece on Jalopnik on this fine project. Email me some photos once you start work. In the meantime, you can send me a few photos of the car and I'll host them for you.

Spinnetti...   Dai Mondai?
Cincinnati?

I Live in Toledo. my team car is actually stored down there  (The #42 White Crown Vic from Detroit(ish) and CMP08,09)

I'm not looking for a team to be on, per se, just this project oozes with lunacy...which I'm strangely attracted to(must the be Lemons)

I've read some articles on you guys. your group should be able to easily pull something off. I'm still interested but if it's all for nelson ledges you probably don't need a Moonlighting driver dancing between 2 rides smile

Serj wrote:

Spinnetti...   Dai Mondai?
Cincinnati?

I Live in Toledo. my team car is actually stored down there  (The #42 White Crown Vic from Detroit(ish) and CMP08,09)

I'm not looking for a team to be on, per se, just this project oozes with lunacy...which I'm strangely attracted to(must the be Lemons)

I've read some articles on you guys. your group should be able to easily pull something off. I'm still interested but if it's all for nelson ledges you probably don't need a Moonlighting driver dancing between 2 rides smile

Yep, thats us... Ah, the crown brick! Yep, I know your car too. smile This project is intended to replace the Celica that we crashed at Toledo, and that we finished 30 something at Kershaw in April due to a failed distributor. The team is getting tired of the lemon actually being a lemon! (blew the engine at Kershaw last year)

We are having a team meeting at 10am today to see if they want to do it. I'm not sure if they have what it takes or not. If so, I'll lead the build, and if not, I'll do it at home. Though we work for Toyota, and some of the team are engineers, overall the team has little applicable automotive experience and less tools - bizarre but true. Anything complicated and all fab work will have to done at my house.

22 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-05-09 10:06 AM)

Here are the photos of the LeMons-bound Corolla, the engine-donor car, and "proof" that a SOHC Lexus V8 actually fits under an AE86's hood. See, easy!

http://www.murileemartin.com/Oh_lord.JPG
http://www.murileemartin.com/Donor.JPG
http://www.murileemartin.com/Corolla_v8_madness.JPG

Um, that would be a DOHC v8 smile Fits, but not by much. Amazingly, its just as snug in the Lexus engine bay... I've never worked on such big/heavy car stuff before... should be interesting.

Well, the team has spoken, and once they reimburse the purchase price, its now a team Toyota car, formerly known as "Dai Mondai" (Big Problem), but now known as "Hachi Hibachi"... Let the madness begin!

24 (edited by Alkire Romeo 2009-05-09 07:44 PM)

Spinnetti,

This will be fun!

I really can't believe we got our '91 Lexus LS400 that cheap, but we did.  I helped broker the deal.  The car had no title and was part of a estate purchase (from someone going belly up).  The Craigslist add was for other items in the estate sale and included this '91 Lexus.   So, you could not find it easily as Lexus was not in the title of the add.  The add had no picture and explained only that it was a '91 Lexus with no title for $500.  Since it was just 15 minutes from my house, I decided to give a call and check it out.  When I got there, it was expained that the car had the accessory belt removed due to the idler pulley making a loud noise, so no power steering....on a car that big it was a challenge until I got some engine behind it.  Then I was off and galloping....literally....the air suspension was shot...and I mean shot.  Felt like riding a subborn mule....but the engine was solid as well as the tranny (though it was difficult to take my focus off of the bucking).

When I told him that it was rough, but what we were looking for, I asked him how low he would go.  The answer was $400.  I then called Mr. Spinnetti (the car leader) and asked him if he really wanted it.  With a little hesitation, he said "can he go any lower"?  I then asked the seller if we gave him $300 cash, would he take it?  Some grumbling and groaning and then "if you take it tonight, then I guess so".....YES!!!

Spinnetti came by an hour and a half later with the trailer and we had ourselves a Lexus.

Let the madness begin!!!

'94 Alfa Spider Veloce CE, '69 Alfa GTV, '65 Alfa Giulia Super
'05 Toyota 4-Runner, '12 Lexus CT200h

Spinnetti wrote:

Um, that would be a DOHC v8 smile

I suppose I should have noticed the not-so-subtle "FOUR CAM" text on the valve cover.