Re: Where do I begin learning car mechanics?

Jeff G 78 wrote:
kalpol wrote:

I am biased, but if I were you I'd go find a cheap Fiat Spider, either a carbureted 69-74 or a 80-82 with fuel injection depending on the level of technology you want to deal with. You can get rusty Fiats for next to nothing, they are easy to work on, there is lots of documentation and support online, and parts are pretty cheap and easy to find.  And of course they're fun to drive.

Yikes!  After working on 124 Spyders and many Japanese cars, I'd say the Fiats are not a good beginner car.  Yes, they are fun, but they're Italian!

I don't see why not - Spiders are very simple cars.  The fuel injection is Bosch L-Jetronic, not much to go wrong there. The carburetors can be annoying but so can all other carburetors.  There's one fan belt (if the car didn't have AC installed).  Rubber timing belt, like a VW except you can see it.  Everything is pretty easy to get to.   I even heard you can disassemble the transmission without any special tools (like a press).  Just get a good shop manual from one of the Fiat places and you're set.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Don't worry about performance yet. It will take significant track time before that becomes relevant. Focus on simple and cheap. To that end I'd avoid a Town Car, it's cheap, but not simple. Personally I like old beater Civics, but that may not be the best for everyone.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

I've got to ask - how old are you?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

29 (edited by rayofash 2009-08-27 03:12 PM)

RobL wrote:

21. I didn't grow up with cars, we've only ever had Jettas and station wagons.

I say find yourselve a beat up, used up Alfa Romeo. If you can make that run right, you can fix anything short of a nuclear submarine.

I used to work at an Alfa shop, fun but not fun, if you know what I mean.

31 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-08-27 04:28 PM)

O.K.  This is what I would do if you want to learn about a specific car.

First: Choose the car you want to buy and buy it.
Second: Don't touch it!
Third: Buy the tools that work with your car. Metric/Standard
Fourth: Find that same car at the local "Pick and Pull".
Fifth: Find a nice day and go down to the pick and pull and start tearing the sh#t
out of the car. Remove everything off the engine, everything you can off the suspension and even the brakes. As you take things apart ask yourself can I put this piece back together, remembering how things came apart and if you don't now what a certain part is look in the "manual" you should have bought on your way home from buying the car. The cool thing about "Tear a Part" and "Pick and Pull" is you don't have to worry about buying the stuff you take off, and your helping out the guy that's going to come along tomorrow to pull that part off anyway.
And finally go back to the car you bought and take your time. "Sparky" Pete is right if you take something apart you will have parts left over. Not Good! getting things back together takes time. I have worked on cars most of my life and I still have left over nuts and bolts showing up on the ground after I drive the car away. (Hmmm...as I scratch my head)
Good luck

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

rayofash, I have a 3rd gen Camaro Lemons car that I may be willing to part with. It will need an engine installed, but it has all the safety equipment to run in Lemons. I will even help you put the new engine in, and I'll throw in the T5 manual transmission and everything needed to install it. I live in super-way-east county San Diego.

kalpol wrote:

I am biased, but if I were you I'd go find a cheap Fiat Spider, either a carbureted 69-74 or a 80-82 with fuel injection depending on the level of technology you want to deal with. You can get rusty Fiats for next to nothing, they are easy to work on, there is lots of documentation and support online, and parts are pretty cheap and easy to find.  And of course they're fun to drive.

you will get very good repairing these cars, after all FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony.

rayofash wrote:
RobL wrote:

Perfect age to learn!  Of course I've already started to teach my 2 year girl about cars, but that's a different story.  Pull-a-part shall be your classroom.  For a buck (at least that's what it is out here) you can get in and tear anything apart.  So as was mentioned above, go there, find a car like yours and take it apart.  You'll learn so much for a BUCK.  Plus the next guy who comes along won't have to bust his knuckles getting that proportioning valve off since you already did.

As for your engine question.  Yes the 302 Ford is a good engine, arguably a great engine.  But don't worry about engine theory right now.  Just learn how to get it to run.  Air-Fuel-Spark-Compression.  If you got 'em, you're running.  Perhaps not well, but it's a start.  And then comes chapter two, tune-up.......

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

rayofash wrote:
RobL wrote:

Aside from the junkyard trips, I would also recommend a Vo-Tech class.  There is a local tech school close to me that does automotive classes, starting at "changing your oil" type classes for anyone in the community.  That's why I asked your age...  A lot of schools have these classes as part of thier offerings, like shop or art.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

rayofash wrote:

What about engines? What does having more cylinders allow for? A 82-89 Lincoln Town Car for example has a 5 liter 302 V8 engine.

Big (aka "lazy") engines have the advantage of making lots of oomph without taking a lot of stress...they spin more slowly, and put overall less stress on things.

But to be so big, they build them out of concrete and lead - so not only are they heavy to push around the track (which is hard on tires, brakes, suspension, the driver, etc), AND working on them in any meaningful way is a real nightmare for the do-it-yourselfer if you don't have your own shop, a lift, engine hoists, cradles, etc.

The Fiat 1.5L engine (X1/9, Yugo, Strada, 128 sedan) can be picked up and moved around by two people without really any special tools other than a strong back, a chain, and a couple 2x4s.

I'll second the Fiat Spider, L-jet efi, as a great place to learn.  The carb cars are fine, if you can do away with the emissions crap - but they're dual-point ignitions which are tools of the devil.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

I'd go with a 4 cyl Toyota for starters. Parts anywhere, lots of support and they're simple. Honda is similar, but they're a little fragile. On the other hand, they've won Lemons....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

38 (edited by cpmskinny 2009-08-28 09:48 AM)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Japanese cars are the easiest to learn on.  The Germans tend to overcomplicate everything.  If you buy a super common car like a Camry or Civic, you can scrounge junkyards to find anything you might need.  It will save you money.  I'd stick with a manual trans.  Autos get expensive to repair and are not for the home mechanic.  Also, 4 cylinder cars usually have more room to work.  V6s can be really hard to work on.

Nothing is as easy as a early model AMERICAN car.  Foreign ones have never made too much sense to me.  If you mess up on a 350 Chevrolet, you can travel on down to your local gas station and probably find everything you will need to fix it.  If I were in the learning process, i would go for whatever is cheap and common, i.e. the small block chevy.

Once you learn the operation of the internal combustion engine, the theroy will transpire to any other engine you will come into contact with in the future.  Just remember when working on Chevrolets, 18436572, all you will ever need to remember.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Do not drill through your cars fuel line at noon on tech inspection day of your first Lemons race...

(not a real rule... just a mental note to myself but something you should learn)

Uberbird!

cpmskinny wrote:

Just remember when working on Chevrolets, 18436572, all you will ever need to remember.

Is that GM's tech support number?

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports

Firing order.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

FatBraff wrote:

Do not drill through your cars fuel line at noon on tech inspection day of your first Lemons race...

(not a real rule... just a mental note to myself but something you should learn)

Good advice! I'll take it to heart.

Tajracing45 wrote:

Firing order.

I kind of thought you might have caught the sarcasm.  Guess not.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports

CaptainRat wrote:
Tajracing45 wrote:

Firing order.

I kind of thought you might have caught the sarcasm.  Guess not.

I caught it. wink

CaptainRat wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:

Just remember when working on Chevrolets, 18436572, all you will ever need to remember.

Alright you smart ass...  No, the last time I checked it was 1-800-EF-A-FORD.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

CaptainRat wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:

No, the Tech support number is 1-800-GM-TRUCK

That's also the SB Mopar firing order.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Also, as you take things apart, try to visualize how they operate. Brakes clamping the discs, pistons, valves and ignition pulling in fuel, barfing out exhaust etc...

You can get basic/generic diagrams that are easy to grasp all over the net. Start with "how do brakes work?" and enjoy.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

"Sparky" Pete is right if you take something apart you will have parts left over. Not Good!

Well, there goes our weight reduction strategy! I was under the impression that if you couldn't figure out how to put back the inverted sine pulse generator, for example, you'd just be 7oz faster!

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

sergio wrote:

No, the Tech support number is 1-800-GM-TRUCK

The woman who answers is VERY friendly.  I don't think she knows much about cars though......

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports