Re: cup to lemon

crazymike wrote:
Spank wrote:

Sure, I coulda built it so I could run without a rear subframe from the get-go and incorporated extra rollcage tubing and pickup points, but again, I didn't want to stray away from it's inherently crappy moke-ness.

And this is why you don't get votes for curse and why MTGT does, I'm pretty certain of it...
(no I don't vote that way, but others do)

MTGT gets curse votes? They're just jealous.

Jalopyshoppe wrote:
Do the best you can with what you have. If someone else has what you want beat them up and take it. Can't do that? Don't know what to tell you.

For arguement's sake... what are the principal differences between an A and a T of such similar vintage. The T being a 27, and an A being 28-31? Both were solid axle, transverse leaf spring front and rear. The difference being the size of the cowel and body. Yes, there are differences, but the modifications performed make it kind of a wash. The end result is a car that fits the bill of a production car, even in the eyes of the DMV.

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...

I think another big difference it that the MTGT is able to drive on the street it has plates and pass all the requirements to be register in California, which is not one of the easier states to get this done in.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We tried to make the same argument for using an IMCA dirt modified chassis which is "based on" and uses "parts of" a production car chassis but had no luck with the Judges, How the Model T GT is not a custom made tube frame race car only the Judges know.

The IMCA-style modifieds are easy to identify as a whole, but distinguishing between the sanctioning bodies is all but impossible. The bodies are very flat on the sides, and lack the downforce generating tunnels the DIRTcar modifies sport. The driver sits on the left side. One of the most notable differences between the IMCA-style modifieds and other modified series cars, is the use of stock production car frame sections as part of the racing chassis.

TEAM TONTO, 7 cylinders of thunder!
Now with 4 big Losses!
Steve was right

Do they have VIN numbers?
If you cut the cage from the T, it's just a Hot Rod. We did replace the door skins and Hood with custom panels, but the tub, bed, and grille shell are OEM Ford Body panels. The roof panel is only there to meet safety rules. The bulk of the car body is production panels. The cost of authentic doors is far to high to use them on a Lemons car, and the hood is only there to conform to the rules.

Yep - they have VIN numbers - it's impressed on the frames of the years of the chassis that are part of the required makeup, as has been the norm for body-on-frame cars since late sixties or early seventies - usually on the drivers side about where the door would be.
... So if you cut the cage from a modified "it's just a Camaro" or an Impala or something like.
You've a very bad/weak argument there.

32 (edited by dsycks 2011-08-21 09:58 AM)

I didn't read it as an argument as much as I read it as a question.

Further question on my part would include, were those cars born to be race cars?

Even if they were born from showroom stock crap, letting them in would instantly make Lemons a spec race for those chassis. The MTGT is a fresh design on a 1920s theme, not a race version of a 1980s car.

I think the MTGT has some issues to it that make it hard to contend with on some levels but I can wrap my head around legal builds that would let me do my own thing and maybe keep up with it. I don't have any good idea of how I would do that with a IMCA (or similar) car.

Daniel Sycks

Again - nope they were born to be passenger cars, just like the MTGT. Then someone got hold of them and drew up a set of what constitutes safety, which vehicle spec's as to which a-arms to use, what rear ends are legal, which motor and so-on to use - all stock off-the-shelf parts - and gave them a racing class... The "open" part was bodywork... sound familiar?

34 (edited by crazymike 2011-08-21 10:14 AM)

...granted, there are a whole basket-load of cheaters and about five different "types" of sportsman and street-stock cars from circle-track out there(in the circle-track world, and if you don't count year-to-year rule changes) but the general gist is that those cars were just Camaros and Firebirds with the bodies off and something like a 305/318 stuck in.

which is to say - under Lemons rules, they ARE mass-produced American Street cars, just as MTGT is.
Precedence.
The (logical) rules argument would be whether crumple-zones have been compromised.

...now as to "spirit of the rules", that's another question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Camaro/Firebird are unibody cars...
So the Vin is on the cowel. Replacing the body is replacing the car. Unless you just re panel the body.
Still, If it's got a vin, and passes safety, bs, etc... why not?
Doesn't seem like a good idea. What do they weigh? Running a Lemons spec small block in a 3000lb car doesn't seem like a fast combo. Watching the full Cup cars run SCCA, they're not really competitive. They aren't much faster than a Miata. Take away the sticky tires and horsepower...

all this aside - I'm afraid the days of "non-fabricated" cars having a chance at winner on laps are going to come to an end rapidly - as in I (speaking for a vast number of "us") certainly don't have the facilities to make a MTGT, and  w/o serious welding help or some mighty spendy tools couldn't come up with a bike-engined car... but even so, as "it gets done" others will follow the lead and we'll be seeing speed and reliability creep in this area.

~I could, however, purchase a circle-track car, paste a Munsters theme or a Space 1999 shuttle them or a.. pretty easily on it and have a similar type of vehicle, had I the drive to... Speed-screwing sheet metal is well inside my fab capabilities :-)

Perhaps the head office needs to give a handicap to cars with this kind of power-to-weight ratio that is induced by extreme fabrication with like, say 400 treadwear instead of 200? (and yeah, I've seen the power to weight thread)

So, punish those who have the ability to fabricate... Makes total sense.
if you want a series where the class is based entirely on driver skill, why not race spec Miata?
Or spec E-30? There are countless series where all the cars are evenly matched and parameters are controlled. The appeal of Lemons is the open format. Start restricting cars and it becomes a spec or IT series. They have those in several other venues.
Wanna go fast and not fabricate, build an E-30 and nail the theme. Or a Miata, or a 944 or...
These cars have as much or more speed potential than the T or the Gnome. They take less fab, and can be done without laps.
Those who chose thier own route to the same destination being punished? Sounds 180 degrees out from the spirit of the series. Maybe that's just my opinion.

I kind of wonder if the powers that be would allow the mtgt to be built to run again.  It turned out better than I think anyone thought it would, but even with that I don't see it yet being that to compete you have to completely fabricate your car.  The most dominant car this year has been a MX3.  Haven't seen the car but I don't think its been completely rebuilt and modified to be some kind of one off racing moster.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I don't think that MX3 has been up against any of the west coast heavy hitters has it? There is a bit of a west coast, east coast thing here as many of these cars we are debating live out that way.

I think the point that many of the IMCA cars we are talking about are unibody does make a difference. I also think there should not be a handicap for those who have good skills and can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I know for me I do not have the skills that it takes to make a world class car but I have developed relationships and race with folks who do. At this point we have access to pretty much anything short of stereolithography but thats not exactly lemony. Is it?

I for one still dig the MTGT and other uber-lemons. It gives the rest of us something to aim for. Who knows what Lemons will look like in 5 years but as we look back it sure seems to have changed a lot in the last 5 and I think its for the better.

Daniel Sycks

How many of your so called "fabricated" cars have won on laps?  And how many races have there been?  It's not even 10% "fabricated" cars at this point, you're just jumping to conclusions.  The series is dominated by reliable, cleanly driven and well crewed crap cans.  The "fabricated" cars are a blip.

If you took a cup car and turned it back into a street legal car, including getting a plate and insurance on it, then lemoned it, I bet you could get it in.  But you would also be putting way too much work into something that would then lose to a Saturn SL2.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Spaceframe Saturn... Hmmm.

Daniel Sycks

The MTGT is undoubtably a VERY COOL CAR! I like it the quality of its build. I think for publicity it's fantastic for Lemons. I respect your driving and  the level of competition you guys bring to the track, and yeah, I hope you get more wins on laps, too, 'cause you've had some bad parts luck...

But.

A RANT>

JalopyShoppe 'm not against the MTGT - I'm against 100% FABRCATING something that couldn't be done in your/my/ANYONE"S driveway.

You guys have a SHOP that makes Rods. That's what you DO. That is patently NOT what the rest of "us" do. As a shop you have access to tools most of "us" have only seen in catalogs. "We" also don't have access to cherry-pick parts from a dozen ex-customer cars to place on one-end or the other of a ~fabricated~ space frame from a past era.

Most of "us" take POS EXISTING cars and mod them 'til they fall off the jackstands, are heavier than crap or look like swiss cheese, in  neighborhoods where the parking police ding you for oil changes and parking the wrong way - if not worse.

Some of "us" work in fields where we have limited access to lifts/pits, port-a-powers and welders, spare garage siding and angle iron, and maybe half a dozen wrecked bikes, but again, this same "us" is likely to be fabricating on a dirt driveway in cow-town, NOT A SHOP.

who has the decided advantage in question? The guy with the combination of tools, shop and boatload of resources.
...I wouldn't be able to fab the TGT in my driveway - I ~Might~ be able to fab the Angry Hamster, but only 'cause I could hide it under an EZ-up... and I would be starting with an existing "car". And, too I certainly couldn't pony up the amount of "safety" was involved in your cage build - my rather simple cage was $1200! I suspect yours was or should have been nowhere near that number, or again if it was, "free use" of the EG shop is an unfair advantage...

So it seems to "us" that you have PROFESSIONALLY BUILT a Lemons Car. Yes, Labor is free, but there just might be a boundary where labor and resources such as a shop to do that labor in are and unfair advantage.

Bring on Prickstine, The Bavarian Ranchero, V-8 Volvos, and even a square-tube GL1200 loyd. Hack a Mokiat, FiaGuzzi or Frankemiata. Give us Slant-six E-30's and poorly designed Radial engines. Cut out the middle of a Toyota Van and put an Audi engine in it.
~But don't expect anyone to fall for a car that was built from the ground up, one piece at a time to be called anything other than "kinda cheaty" - and don't ask people that couldn't in a million years gain access to your resources to forgive you your "ingenuity".

...Expect instead that "they" will want to know why "we" can't go buy a twenty year old sportsman bomber for $500, sell the cheap-circle-track stuff off it, throw in a T-5 and fab up or hang some cool-looking body panels for it... and be what you are w/o being an E-30.

~end of Rant~

45 (edited by novaderrik 2011-08-22 12:01 AM)

http://image.carcraft.com/f/9207912/116_0608_08_z+cc_summer_nationals+street_busch_car.jpg

this is registered in the state of MN as a Chevy Monza.. it's a '99 NASCAR Busch series Monte Carlo with lights, blinkers, wipers, and an LS1 added..
old NASCAR tube chassis cars can be made street legal- could it then be stripped down and made Lemons legal?

novaderrik wrote:

http://image.carcraft.com/f/9207912/116 … ch_car.jpg

this is registered in the state of MN as a Chevy Monza.. it's a '99 NASCAR Busch series Monte Carlo with lights, blinkers, wipers, and an LS1 added..
old NASCAR tube chassis cars can be made street legal- could it then be stripped down and made Lemons legal?

Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture.

The Old Fast Auto Racing Team & Sons (Old FARTS)
Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/FastAutoRaceTeam

I think crazymike spells it out for a lot of us. I can do more than most in my driveway (if I had the skill), but I've also had two visits by the city code inspector. There's no way I could pull off an MTGT, hell, I'm having trouble just getting my Jag back on the track. I love the MTGT, but I'll admit I'm jealous of people who have the time, parts, tools, and skills to build something like this. I'm all for allowing it, but I don't want Lemons taken over by custom builds like this.

novaderrik wrote:

http://image.carcraft.com/f/9207912/116 … ch_car.jpg

Ok, really, are we turning into F1 or GTP or Can-Am or any other series that has been at times ruined by a few teams finding a loophole in the rules?

Luckily we are not because in the end the Lemons rules say that Jay and crew can decide whatever they want.  And a car like this, or whatnot, while yes technically legal they can just say no to and they will.  And thats what keeps this series together.

I hear a lot of talk about the MTGT in here, but I have to ask, have they won every race this year?  Is that car while yes a custom build not as much of a POS as many of ours (I seem to recall their transmission losing like every gear last race?).  Not only that but to question them using their own fab skills, how far do you take it?  I mean then maybe its not fair that I had to spend almost $3k for our cage to be built when other build it in their driveway for free.  And in the same respect my fancy cage made our car so stiff that we can out corner many cars we have no business out handling.  The MTGT is an awesome bit of fab work, but honestly that was the only way to even get the car safe enough to race.  If they didn't do half that stuff and got hit by something even as crappy as my Fox, at best the car would get ripped in half and be destroyed even in a minor collision (yes I know the frame if not rusty could survive the apocalypse, but the body structure on those things is a joke).    OTOH these former "stock cars" have a lot of money and time into the specific suspension and frame setups, and were designed under a cost no object setup and formula.  Yeah the MTGT guys are hotrod builders, but they used off the shelf parts, they don't have suspension rigs and things like that that were used to design these original chassis.

IMO the organizers feel its within the spirit of the rules, and its ONE car that while yes is fast, isn't out there destroying all.  And based on the obvious nature of which how this series is run (to keep everyone competitive) and things like the claiming rule, if they ever felt it would get out of hand they could just say "you're done" or "Heres $500, that thing is mine" and be done with it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

dsycks wrote:

I don't think that MX3 has been up against any of the west coast heavy hitters has it? There is a bit of a west coast, east coast thing here as many of these cars we are debating live out that way.

I've raced on both coasts.  I can assure you, the fast guys on the east coast pass me just as often as the fast guys on the west coast, and vice versa.

As for a former cup car, buying a car prepped for racing is like showing up in a former Spec Miata.  That's been determined to be unkosher, right?

If somebody with more time and skill than I wants to fab a car, then all the power to them.  That's what this series is supposed to reward, IMO, fabrication and driving skills, as opposed to large wallets.

bs

Mike...
Have you seen our "shop"?
I respect your rant, but you make many many assumptions.
Perhaps you should get a few facts straight before putting statements like that out there.
-Fish