Re: Top Things That Fail Tech?

Perfect!  Thanks DFL - just what I was looking for.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

27 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-07-08 12:28 PM)

ThePOS wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:
professional.dreamer wrote:

If it fits within (that means inside) the original bodywork profile, without protruding (that means going outside) the bodywork, it's legal. 

So, that means, bolt on a full Aussie roo-bar to the front, add a welded-on section from your roll-cage that extends beyond the rear bumper -- including spikes -- and make sure that all fenders have reinforced sub-frames that integrate the roo-bar and spike frame.

If you're at Reno, come and talk to me if you want to learn a little about this subject...

John

Hey Boss-

What are you planning on smashing into?  Sure does slow a guy down that crashing into the other car, then getting black flagged and all.

If you are beefing your car up for contact you may need to take a second look at your driving style.  I'm just sayin'...

I'm more worried about 100 odd "inexperienced" drivers on a track, a little red mist on everyone's part here and there, and the range of cars that may or may not have pieces falling off that prevent them from avoiding my radiator.

Beyond that, we can't do that much to the cars, so getting to do a little extra cutting and welding is just a little more extra fun!

+1.  using GFT's logic, we really don't need cages or helmets, either.  after all, none of us are PLANNING on rolling or crashing, right?  wink

contact can damage both cars (and sometimes it's not your fault), so it's not a bad idea to protect yourself as best you can.  it would really suck to get knocked out of the race after some knucklehead smacks into you and snaps a tie rod, or someone's muffler tears your radiator to ribbons, b/c you didn't feel like welding a few steel bars in place.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Funny, you can always tell who has been on track and who hasn't.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Funny, you can always tell who has been on track and who hasn't.

HA! 

+1

We are the people your parents warned you about.

David Hawkins wrote:

I'm basically looking for a yes or no from someone in the know - does a 1 piece FIA seat require a rear brace?

I can't answer that question, however it has been mentioned in other threads (and confirmed in my direct emails with Nick) that a horizontal tube/bar on the roll cage within about 6" of the back of the seat is acceptable as a seat brace.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:
David Hawkins wrote:

I'm basically looking for a yes or no from someone in the know - does a 1 piece FIA seat require a rear brace?

I can't answer that question, however it has been mentioned in other threads (and confirmed in my direct emails with Nick) that a horizontal tube/bar on the roll cage within about 6" of the back of the seat is acceptable as a seat brace.

Well hey, there's already a second page in this thread, and the question has already been answered! Good job, me!

David Hawkins wrote:

Since the seatback rule has been revised, I'd like to revisit this one.

3.2: Driver's Seat: Driver's seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece SFI- or FIA-rated competition seats very strongly encouraged. All seats must be very securely mounted to the floor or cage to avoid separation during a crash. All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure.

We've got an FIA Sparco one piece seat.  Do we need a spine impaler?  I would think that it being a one piece shell would restrain it against rearward failure barring the seat breaking in half...

Hey David.  Are you doing the New England race?  I'll be there and hope to see you if you are going. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

Scott Barton - of MR2 fame? Of "I forgot to bring money to an autocross, can I borrow some?" fame? 

LOL.  I'll see you there. 

--Rob Leone (also of MR2 fame and the guy you borrowed money from)

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Dude Rob!  How are you?  That's so funny!  Oh man what a day that was.  You totally saved me!  haha.  Thanks again. 

Can't wait to see you this weekend.  Are you driving a MKI?  I'll be in a red E30. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

I'm in the Craptation (We're #2!!!) for this race but have the MKI in mothballs until, hopefully, we get accepted to Nelson Ledges.  See you this weekend!

The guys before us in tech had painted an engine cutoff switch on their fender...dont do that

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

the head wrote:

The guys before us in tech had painted an engine cutoff switch on their fender...dont do that

Wait... they painted the SWITCH, not just the label for it?

LTDScott wrote:
the head wrote:

I read that as they painted a faux switch on the car ala the Road Runner painting a tunnel on on the side of a mountain.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

oneday wrote:

I read that as they painted a faux switch on the car ala the Road Runner painting a tunnel on on the side of a mountain.

I'd like to see a picture of that.  Sounds cool!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

40 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-07-10 12:08 PM)

oneday wrote:

*sigh* kids these days.

Wile E. Coyote painted the tunnel, which (much to WEC's surprise) worked for the Road Runner but (again to WEC's surprise and considerable physical pain) not for WEC when he tried to chase RR through it.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
oneday wrote:

*sigh* kids these days.

Wile E. Coyote painted the tunnel, which (much to WEC's surprise) worked for the Road Runner but (again to WEC's surprise and considerable physical pain) not for WEC when he tried to chase RR through it.

Ah yes, Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius. He's no match for me, though!

Beep, beep.

42 (edited by oneday 2009-07-10 12:47 PM)

Yep...I remember that now. [facepalm]
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss221/oneday_js/face_palm.jpg

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

43 (edited by the head 2009-07-10 01:58 PM)

oneday wrote:
LTDScott wrote:
the head wrote:

Correct, while funny it didnt pass

I had considered one of those gag fire extinguishers filled with spring worms (ala Family Guy) but my team was against it.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

im never saying you should do this.... but bribing the tech inspectors with bottles of booze wrapped in dollar bills really helps grease the process.

"wheres your jack stands and jack"
"shit we forgot them at the pit stall"
"well go and get them, wait you guys brought a bribe?"
"yea check this out two bottles in nice gift wrapping"
"well i guess i can get down and look underneath the car...."

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

holes in the floorboard... like where the rubber drain plugs that melted out when installing the cage.  Either take em out and stick em back in later, or get some sheet metal on em.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

holes in the floorboard... like where the rubber drain plugs that melted out when installing the cage.  Either take em out and stick em back in later, or get some sheet metal on em.

Yeah, this was a surprise requirement at Stafford, everyone was running around trying to patch em up.

After I watched a black robed gentleman at Reno pour a quart of malt liquor into the passenger footwell of a penalized car I figure it's smart to go with the rubber plugs...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

trlstanc wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Yeah, this was a surprise requirement at Stafford, everyone was running around trying to patch em up.

We used a couple diet coke cans and a fanta can lol

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

Wait - the rubber drain plugs need to be removed or they need to be installed?  I don't get the 'take em out and stick em back in later' comment....

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

I think he means take out the plugs before they get ruined by the heat from the torches.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching