Topic: Best hole saw for notcher ?

What has everyone used and how long .

I used a Lenox 1 3/4 and one last 2 cages then I replaced it with same and lasted 2 hours .

No serious notches either

I'm using a JD fab notcher the $250 one

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Re: Best hole saw for notcher ?

I use snap on/blue point and usually get at least 1 cage. I tried a Craftsman and only got about a dozen or so notches. I keep it very well oiled and use very low speed.

It Ain't My Fault

Ditto.  One cage one bit +/- . 

I have been changing my thoughts on using oil on the notches.  I seem to change bits every cage and the bits are just 12-13 dollars, the oil and mess vs the cost,  make me less likely to want to preserve the bit to say 1.5 cages...

b

This space for rent.

When I can save up for it, I think I'm going to get a shear notcher, I hear they give better results than a hole saw, and faster.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

We used a shear at my uncles fab shop.  Pretty sexy, 2 second notches...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

If you dont have/want to buy the shear notcher, the best thing I've ever used for hole sawing is the Rotabroach by Hougen. I spoke to the manufacturer a few years back and for these tools the key is applying plenty of cutting pressure and lube. Press lightly and the tool tips wear out fast due to localized heating. press firmly and the heat leaves with the chips. I have a set at work that we have literally been using for years.

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

Does anyone make a shear notcher besides Lowbuck?

-Victor

I've used a Lowbuck notcher for 20 years on many cages without replacing anything.  They say 6 seconds to fishmouth a tube but it takes me twice that long. They're a bit spendy but worth it in time saved and they will last a lifetime.  Your grandkid's grandkids can use it.  What I would like to have is their hi-buck bender.

From Lowbuck's website...

"The cutting edges are case hardened to 62 Rockwell, which is 2 points harder than the back of Superman's head, so like him, they are practically indestructible."

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

here is my homemade setup! the roughers are expensive but they last forever and can be sharpened if needed also. it is from a chinese lathe from craigslist.
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/INDYSUPRA1/car/144.jpg

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

JMR mfg used to make a very durable hole saw specifically for tube notching. They are trying to get them back into production. Right now they are unavailable.       Shear notchers are fast but it gets hard to do high angle or weird offset cuts ( and it seems that most notches for roll cages are high angle and weird).

We use Wurth and Matco hole saws in our notchers.      The rigidity/quality of your notcher and the way use it have the most effect on hole saw life.     The notchers with shitty bushings and thin shafts  (anything under 1") will EAT hole saws.. The good ones with 1 1/4" shafts, needle or other quality bearings will allow the saws to last longer.

Movement of the tube is a saw killer, make sure the tube is clamped very well so it cannot rotate or slip.

Use cutting lube and very slow saw speeds.. Most every drill is too fast, you need to gear them down or use a drill press.

If we don't make a mistake (loose clamp, etc) we can get 3-5 cages out of a saw...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

chop saw anyone?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I've had good success with both Milwaukee and Ridgid brand saws.
Vermont-American, not so much.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I got the low buck notcher which is great for straight notches .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

We've noticed that a faster cut seems to help our blades last longer than light slow cuts.  Who knew the heat was in the chips.  I hate the oil for several selfish reasons.

The greatest day ever - when Josh forgot to take the pin out of our notcher and our very strong Milwaukee drill spun around and smacked him in the eye! 

"How'd you get that black eye, Josh?" 

Racing.

This space for rent.

Is that the 7 amp model?  I have one of those and it just begs to break your wrist.  My friends/teammates hate it because it snaps drill bits with ease...

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

We use angle templates from  metalgeek.com and make the notch with our grinder just as fast and easy as a holesaw with excellent results. Just type in the tubing size and angle, print out the template, wrap around the pipe and make your notch.

Wetland American Racing (WAR)  #77 Swamp Thang Granada
2011 Cain't get Bayou IOE and Class C winner
Shop Location: Bayou Self, La.

Evil Genius wrote:

JMR mfg used to make a very durable hole saw specifically for tube notching. They are trying to get them back into production. Right now they are unavailable.       Shear notchers are fast but it gets hard to do high angle or weird offset cuts ( and it seems that most notches for roll cages are high angle and weird).

We use Wurth and Matco hole saws in our notchers.      The rigidity/quality of your notcher and the way use it have the most effect on hole saw life.     The notchers with shitty bushings and thin shafts  (anything under 1") will EAT hole saws.. The good ones with 1 1/4" shafts, needle or other quality bearings will allow the saws to last longer.

Movement of the tube is a saw killer, make sure the tube is clamped very well so it cannot rotate or slip.

Use cutting lube and very slow saw speeds.. Most every drill is too fast, you need to gear them down or use a drill press.

If we don't make a mistake (loose clamp, etc) we can get 3-5 cages out of a saw...

We bought 4 JMR fine-tooth holesaws when we started our Lemons "career", not knowing how long they would last.  We've only built 1 cage so far, but saw #1 is still plenty sharp, and works fantastic.  Cuts fast, and no tendency to grab at all.   We do use cutting oil, and plenty of pressure.

Our notcher is a genuine "ol joint jigger" from ebay for $50 brand new.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Plasma cutter and a grinder to finish..

The first Lemons cage I helped build we used a 4 1/2 grinder to notch all the tubes. It was messy but it worked and you only needed to clamp the tube in a vise and go at it.  Not the most precise method but it got the job done. There was a lot of grinding and checking the fit but it was a simple cage with no tricky joints.
Even when you have a notcher you still  have to "fine tune" the fit with a grinder and you should be beveling the tubes anyway for a better weld joint.

I like chopsaw and angle grinder method. Hole saw will bottom out with any angle and the edge needs to be ground back for welding anyways. The fitment is only as tight as your measuring, the cutting tool is not the weak link (at least in my case).

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

Annular cutter/ Rotabroach. better cut.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Hole saw lenox hands down   I also do not go slow I blast a notch in a few seconds  one hole saw will do an FIA cage.  aka Lemons cage is about 1/2-2/3 the notches.  Ive tried many diffrent ones and lenox for my style works.  I might spray some lube (not real cutting oil) every 3 or so but Im bad its usually pretty dry.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA