Re: How about a Cutlass Calais with Quad 4?

autoxmike wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

I've seen  Achieva SCXs in junkyards. This one was in Denver, but they're not all that uncommon in CA.

The overall production numbers for the Achieva SCX is quite low; 1146 in 1992, and 500 in 1993.  The Quad4 was a pretty great engine (power wise) for it's time - and even by today's standards is pretty strong, especially considering it doesn't have any type of  "VTAC" variable cams or variable intake manifold crap.  Too bad they blew head gaskets. It is a real PIA to do a QUAD4 head gasket.  My first one took 20 hours, but got it down to 8 hours by the 3rd go-around....

BTW - I found a nice SCX with a bad head asket for <$1000.  Im tempted but really don't want to do another head gasket on one of those cars....

I bought a 1992 SCX that I was considering to turn into a driver or race car in 2007 I think for $500.  It was pretty rusty and had some rot around the wheelwells but the interior was complete and it had the W41 (with 185k miles) but was all still functional.  Then I was poking around in the trunk and managed to push my hand straight through the rust in one of the strut towers.  Thats when I knew this car was too far gone for anything but parts.  I sold it to someone who just wanted the engine for $500.  Would have parted it myself but had surgery at the time and just needed to get rid of it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

Then I was poking around in the trunk and managed to push my hand straight through the rust in one of the strut towers.  Thats when I knew this car was too far gone for anything but parts.

Quiter.

Daniel Sycks

A friend had a Beretta GTZ with the quad 4 engine.....I think it spun to 8000rpm back then too which was almost unheard of at the time...since most tiny engines went to maybe 7200...  I recall the GTZ being quite quick.....especially for a FWD car.....it was quite a fair match with my 188hp Chrysler Conquest Tsi back in the day

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

On this same topic of powerful small American Iron from the 90's.....my personal favorite....  91-92 Dodge Spirit RT...but they didn't make very many...hard to find lately....under 1400 total production

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Spinnetti wrote:

That's no IOE car. I raced those a couple times back in the day and they have bags of power... Should be easy enough to find one - least where I come from (Lansing Michigan)

Jay and I think it's an IOE car, and that's what matters. Take advantage of this huge loophole!

icemang17 wrote:

A friend had a Beretta GTZ with the quad 4 engine.....I think it spun to 8000rpm back then too which was almost unheard of at the time...since most tiny engines went to maybe 7200...  I recall the GTZ being quite quick.....especially for a FWD car.....it was quite a fair match with my 188hp Chrysler Conquest Tsi back in the day

Apparently it was also faster that the same year z28 in the slalom.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1