Re: NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER! Speedy's guide to success in adversity

I'm going to make everyone on my team read this thread a dozen times before NJMP next year. We've been amazingly lucky so far with 30+ mostly uneventful hours of racing a chevette whose engine hadnt run in 10 years when we found it because of a burnt valve. I'm sure that luck is about to run out especially with the, gulp, soon to be turbo-vette. I guess we all want "more of the Lemons experience".

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

We've had four races where we could have given up, but instead battled and took the checkers.

1. First race, trans broke internally and left us with only 4th gear for the final four hours.
2. Broken wheel stud in the middle of the night at Reno.
3. blown trans mission two hour in at TH. Ran all day Sunday
4. Blown engine two hours in at Sears. worked until 3am to get back on track Sunday
4a. Same race, trans broke leaving us in 4th for the last 2.5 hours. My team left me alone, but I stuck it out anyway.

Why give up?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

We both persevered, and gave up, during the same race (Skankaway)... it is perhaps sage advice that "practice is a bad idea", your car will blow up early.

I know it seemed that way when on Friday morning, the Coupe blew its clutch to a haze of evil-smelling brown smoke, right in front of the stands. (Driver gave me a thumbs-up just at that moment, he couldn't see the cloud roiling out from under the car yet. My response- "WOOHOO, you durn blowed it up real nice!" Back to the pits and begin a tear down, but first, a push (yes) to the BS and tech inspections. I wanted those out of the way. I had a bad feeling about this. When we found that we had one spare clutch disc which would fit our FW, and that the splines were absolutely jacked up, I wasn't feeling great about the chances. Spent much of the day coaxing that danged 5-speed out from behind the 5-cylinder. And something you should know about the Audi Coupe- that 5 is put in there in a manner befitting a backyard swap, not a factory install. If you've looked carefully at one, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Whoever loaned the triangular finish files that let me coax the clutch splines back to straightness- thanks. It's true- someone always has the tool you're after in the Lemons paddock. The Clutch Gods smiled upon us- first stab, using brute forearm strength, and the trans slid home. I've never seen anything like that, and I probably do 10 clutches a year (I wrench professionally) for the past 15 years. The Coupe was back in business.

And she ran like a jet, through 4.5 of the 6 driver stints. When the wheel bearings came apart, cooking the brakes, on Sunday afternoon, we bled the burned fluid out, and staked the hub nuts, which got it out just in time for driver #6 to witness the final act of the original 1982 gearbox. There may be a functioning piece of 2nd left. I'm not sure. If it had been 3rd or even 4th, I think we would have headed for the checker. But 2nd is just too slow. Our race was over.

First world problems defined: When your motor runs well enough that you bust everything in between the flywheel bolts and the tires.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

29 (edited by fleming95 2011-12-13 10:14 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

I was lying in bed last night, unable to sleep, dreading the 0430 alarm for work this morning. I started thinking about Infineon, and what a rush it was to cruise around the pits

<snip>

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

NEVER SURRENDER!!!

[/soapbox]

I'll add one, if I might:

6.  Your efforts now might help someone out later. And there's always a later.

I helped Chris a bit with the cars he fielded this fall - frankly, he helped me out more than I helped him!  I also got to see most of V8olvo saga, from Wednesday through Sunday, and that team was full of good nutcases.

My first thrill of the race was, as I was in the trunk of the Landspeeder, hearing the Wagovan fire up for the first time after it had its engine put in it.  I'm a pretty mellow guy, but the sound of the engine cranking, the hope that it starts, (but you don't want to be _too_ hopeful so the disappointment doesn't get you too down when it doesn't), then the engine catching, then being revved, then gravel being spit off the tires of the Wagovan while it was on the lift, pinging off of the Hondas fenders, brought that deep thrill that the 'race' had begun!  Up 'til then it has just been work - now there was a future.

You see, Chris had swapped the drivetrain in on Wednesday, I swapped the ECU wiring on Thursday, and if that thing hadn't fired we'd have had some extra guys with no seats ready on Saturday, and I'd have been the first in line to keep hacking all the way through Sunday.

That success alone would have made it a good race.  What made it great is that the Wagovan was ready and waiting for Speedy to take the checkered in it on Sunday.

Being able to get a car on track when otherwise drivers would be able to only sit on their hands, left out and just. . . waiting. . . is pretty much it.

I certainly ain't no driver and no mechanic (and whatever's below that for a fabricator!), so I certainly ain't gonna ever drive a winning race or build a winning car, but I can certainly hope to give other people a leg up!

-Jeff

So Fleming95 explains my journey of that race/build I started this wagovan on Sunday with 5 days to race day.

This part is really funny so I pick Speedy up on Wednesday morning we go to IN N OUT burger California tradition speedy does when in California . We get to my house and we walk up to my honda wagovan with 1/2 a cage suspension ,brakes,tires done. But motor and trans sitting in front .
Speedy looks at me and says you racing this ?
In my disbelief I couldn't believe Speedy of all people would say that . I was thinking if anyone was going to give me support to get it done was him . In my mind "its on like donkeykong" so if I remember right 2 hours later I had motor in car and then worked on cage til 3 am . So thursday Fleming 95 came out and did some quick wiring so I could start it and yell over to Speedy with his non running Volv8 DEATHCAB " you hear that haha "
So I plugged away Thursday til 4 am in which Speedy left my house at 1am with a fallen branch off my tree in the roof of his car for a 530 tv news crew .I woke up at 7am to go pick up my 4 car trailer got back @8am to finish cage finished 11 so I loaded 4 cars on my trailer and got to the track .
The mazdav8dualley still needed the clutch master figured out got to infineon by 2 unloaded all the crappy cars and got people working on getting cars thru tech .I left the easy/annoying stuff that should be easy left like kill switches on the Wagovan   and the mazdav8dualley plus clutch issue  which Anton x-args figured out . Kill switch done in Mazda then wagovan by now it's 11 pm WTF so I messed with kill switch til 1 . I almost duct tapped some drunk teammate of mine because he was bugging the crap out of me .
Woke up at 7am rolled over to tech and Mazda was dialed just a quick seat brace fix and done ,then wagovan went to tech and passed no problem . I did I built 2 Lemons cars in 2 weeks .
My stories are always before race never give up never surrender.
So race begins not even 1 hr in the mazdv8dualley is being towed in with the back bumper packed with mudd and motor overheated . Apparantly I should have thrown the slower older driver than this guy who was complaining of truck bouncing around corners,which next driver went out and was fine and then 3rd driver went out to be be towed back and the motor was stuck at 16 laps. This was parked 6 ft from Speedy Volvo marathon . So I left it alone let it charge on charger so we wouldn't have to winch it on . So Sunday came and Jay said class c goes out first so I decided I would take it out and she what she could do and it handled great then as I decided to push it and haul ass the motor stopped and then I got rear ended by that POS tow truck driver as he smashed the back of my truck to get me off track . So I guess I could have been next to Speedy swapping motors forever but no thx .

Never give up happened at 07 thill we blew our trans mission up near the end of day 1 and forgot spare trans mission. So Ryan (excavator guy) jumped in his company work truck and drove 150 miles to my house to grab every trans I had and was back in 4 hrs . In which he was pulled over for throwing cigarette out the window and going 97 mph .
Officer said you threw a cigarette out the window Ryan replied while scooping his chew out of mouth to throw out in front of cop "cigarettes will kill you ,I chew it's safer "
cop "you know how fast you were going ?" Ryan replied "yep 97 mph truck governor goes off at 98mph" cop walked off
Any how Ryan gets back at 12  tells his boss the "truck only goes 98 or i would have been sooner" So i have trans out and can't get clutch aligned then we hear a big slamming noise and Ryan boss is destroying broken trans with 5 #sledgehammer and 1 minute later hands me the input shaft for alignement tool . Trans back in by 230 and took off down driveway out of thill and it worked . Raceday2 we run all day  no problems and got organisers choice and $500 in nickels

So I got a story for both .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Sorry my punctuation skills suck !

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2011/11/xlarge_a4d0c9fe0aa04e18157f81654b4e0654.jpg

One of my favorite "never give up" photos comes from a typical Speedycop adventure.

trekkor wrote:

We've had four races where we could have given up, but instead battled and took the checkers.

2. Broken wheel stud in the middle of the night at Reno.

Only one wheel stud? You're not trying hard enough. tongue

http://pic.phyrefile.com/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/10/10/GTP_Wheel_Hub_1.JPG

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

NEVER GIVE UP!! NEVER SURRENDER!!

Also, a well-timed bag of cookies does wonders for morale.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Great post Speedy.  I couldn't agree more.  Back in '09 at the Lamest Day, we could have easily given up after we broke our diff, but we got it back on the track after a 14 hour repair and a lot of trackside engineering and fabrication.  We finished the final four hours of the race and in the end, we left there feeling great.  We were proud of ourselves for what we accomplished.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I've done both. First race ever was NH. Black flagged on lap 3 or something like that, too much smoke. Spent all day saturday chasing oil leaks, finally got on track and emptied the oil pan. Most of my team gave up that night. At sunday's drivers meeting it was just two of us. We decided to keep working. We got it done, and got some laps. I heard some terrifying noises after lap #18 and parked it. There were only a few hours left so i had no qualms with calling it an event. Loved that event.

We came into stafford with problems. Engine came out while everyone was going through tech. Replaced the trans input shaft seal only to find out that wasn't the issue. Fixed the real problem (turbo oil line draining into the bellhouse inspection hole. seriously, what are the damn chances!). Went to tech, in tech heard some beautiful rod knock starting. By the time the sun was down we had discovered our bearings were the wrong size, and we didn't have enough correct ones to fix it. If anyone remembers that was the weekend in july that it was 100+ with insane humidity. We were just mentally done. We called it quits. Part of me wishes i had tried something to get it fixed, but we honestly just weren't ready for that event.

2012 will be different. I don't mean that i don't expect teh car to fail, i mean that i'll be prepared. I know what fails now, i'll have spares. I know how to swap an engine in under 4 hours on this car at this point. We'll go out fighting at every event. It's going to be awesome.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

37 (edited by pennintj 2011-12-14 03:53 PM)

Sparky Pete wrote:

NEVER GIVE UP!! NEVER SURRENDER!!

Also, a well-timed bag of cookies does wonders for morale.

Or Ribs...Ribs are always a good morale booster. smile

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

BACON

It Ain't My Fault

Yes Dave, it always comes back to bacon.

I promised Mulry pounds of bacon.  He said he'd so something silly with it.

Can't wait.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

TheEngineer wrote:

I've done both. First race ever was NH. Black flagged on lap 3 or something like that, too much smoke. Spent all day saturday chasing oil leaks, finally got on track and emptied the oil pan. Most of my team gave up that night. At sunday's drivers meeting it was just two of us. We decided to keep working. We got it done, and got some laps. I heard some terrifying noises after lap #18 and parked it. There were only a few hours left so i had no qualms with calling it an event. Loved that event.

We came into stafford with problems. Engine came out while everyone was going through tech. Replaced the trans input shaft seal only to find out that wasn't the issue. Fixed the real problem (turbo oil line draining into the bellhouse inspection hole. seriously, what are the damn chances!). Went to tech, in tech heard some beautiful rod knock starting. By the time the sun was down we had discovered our bearings were the wrong size, and we didn't have enough correct ones to fix it. If anyone remembers that was the weekend in july that it was 100+ with insane humidity. We were just mentally done. We called it quits. Part of me wishes i had tried something to get it fixed, but we honestly just weren't ready for that event.

2012 will be different. I don't mean that i don't expect teh car to fail, i mean that i'll be prepared. I know what fails now, i'll have spares. I know how to swap an engine in under 4 hours on this car at this point. We'll go out fighting at every event. It's going to be awesome.

I do give you guys props for not setting that car on fire yet. Good luck in 2012!

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

speaking of bacon   - thank you pete:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp … 9894_n.jpg

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

DC Doug wrote:

Yes Dave, it always comes back to bacon.

I promised Mulry pounds of bacon.  He said he'd so something silly with it.

Can't wait.

Thanks for the reminder Doug. I need to get the complimentary supplies...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

43 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2011-12-14 09:09 PM)

Heckler (bill) really deserves a mention in this thread.  He keeps to himself; mostly back in the far end of the paddock, like a true evil genius (apologies to TEO) and just methodically plugs away at that yellow femmebot of a car, the Duratec Dauphine.

Why don't you already know this? Because he does it quietly and without drama.

I've seen him sit in the front seat of the ambulance and flash eeproms to bypass a troublesome second gear in the 01 Merc Sable auto transaxle of the Dauphine.

It was a cascade of ones and zeros.

Fuckin' Matrix style.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/29uuo8p.jpg

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Mike C. wrote:

speaking of bacon   - thank you pete:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384105_219855191421864_126894987384552_501356_255379894_n.jpg

You are welcome.

Also, the wife surprised me with 4lbs of bacon yesterday... and it's not even Christmas yet!!!1!

Going to make bacon caramels and other naughty piggy-bits.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

On I-10 yesterday we stopped at Don's just west of Lafayette.  We picked up 3 lbs of cracklings - hot right out of the fryer.

Don's is an institution. 

We had Popeye's Spicy chicken and Cracklings for dinner.   This is the High-Life.

This space for rent.

Speedycop wrote:

Yeah, Pat, I've been on both sides of that coin. In New Orleans, I was able to re-energize a team in the middle of the night that had hit the proverbial wall, even though I only helped for like an hour at that point. At Infineon, I was hitting the wall around midnight when a high energy stranger showed up (the spectator who had ridden out on his Husqvarna dirt bike) and offered to lend a hand. Quirky but likeable, he kept us going (and entertained) the entire night.

We're that team in New Orleans!!  The Grem was pissing me off ROYALLY.  I had just rebuilt the motor, I had spent a week trying to get it to start and we had spent 24 hours at the track trying to get the motor to run only to find that oil wasn't getting to the engine and in the process of trying to get it to start, we had flooded the car so bad that gas had made it's way to the oil and destroyed it.  Engine was toast.  We still had a parts car with a running engine, but we tried to fix the other one first rather than swap.  At about 8 pm (during a 24 hour race) we decided to engine swap, but the donor car was a much newer, much more complicated version of the AMC 4.2, complete with awd system and miles tubing and wires.  Speedy came over near midnight and leapt up on the engine of the donor and starting ripping $#!@ off willy nilly.  Or at least it appeared willy nilly.  He may have had a plan.  Or he may have just been having fun.  That got us going on the engine removal, which took ages because of all the back woods twisted brackets that Kenosha thought were a "solution", and got us going again.  We ended up finishing the swap (thanks to Hoonatic too) and getting out for FIVE laps and took the checkered for the first time. 

Speedy is awesome and has crack addict energy, but he needs to slow down on all the awesome cars before he uses the all up!!  I want to get my Jensen Healey on track next year, but, just like HIM, I don't want to do something that's already been done.  Focus on the Aztec!

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

I hereby pass the Jensen baton to you. I have plenty other cars to build. Anyone want to buy a pair of JH 'vert's?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

In what kind of terrible condition are these Jensens anyways?  Also, I read you had a Jensen GT as well.  I'm curious about them and their conditions.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

I can send you pics. The GT is not part of the deal. That sucker is going on Ebay soon, most likely. I just need to rebuild the Strombergs and put them back on, so that it's driveable.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Man your words hit home for me at ECR.  The Mellow Yellow 51 Team didnt have a spare engine as everyone knows by now. When we determined the first engine was dying our guys found another one we thought would work. So we drove the old gal till we got the dreaded black flag for killing mosquitos. The replacement engine off Craigs List was as horrible as the first one and as you know it took us over ten hours to pull off the swap.

I wouldn't change a thing from that weekend at ECR. The commitment in that paddock was inspirational and educational. You are so right about the immediate willingness to lend a hand, a tool or advice was everywhere. I'm proud of my guys and the effort put in to get back on the track Sunday. I wanted to make the green flag and we did just in time for the second motor to over heat and disintegrate the timing chain on the first lap.

We stayed the day watching, learning and cleaning up the carnage.  I was so proud to get that Judges Choice Trophy! Any award from such an inspirational group of men and women should be appreciated and believe me it's the coolest piece of hardware in the SKG Garage.

"WE MAY HAVE BEEN HASTY IN OUR MOTOR SELECTION"
Winner Judges Choice ECR 2011, Winner Heroic Fix 2012 TWS, Overly Realistic Automotive Journalist Replica Car ECR 2014,Winner Class B Gatorama MSR Houston 2014, $500.00 bucks baby!