Re: Rocket-inspired styling--1961 Cadillac coming to Nelson Ledges! (pics)

Very pimp!  nice job!

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Ooooh! Nice!

Think you'll have time to rig up the GrilleCam on Friday?

Count on it.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Oh, and in our case, it's been renamed the FinCam.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Spud wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

True, but you'll need it most on track when it's sitting next to the red-hot header...in the pits you can at least urinate on the damn thing

This I gotta see!!

Being Canadian and being cold and everything aren't you concerned about 'shrinkage'?

At 30 below you don't have much of a problem with an overheating starter... and you don't stay exposed too damn long....and I'm Canadian so shrinkage just gets me down to normal size !....the thing nobody tells you warm weather guys is that in extreme cold you'e covered from head to toe so you can't get rid of moisture through your skin....so you have to piss much more often. Ask an Alaskan!
At Reno I was shocked at how much water I was taking without filling my bladder. And you don't sweat much out in that desert. Bet you could dehydrate seriously without even knowing it. I'm more comfortable sub-zero.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

TMI!!! TMI!!!!

The Cadillac drove into the trailer under its own power about a half hour ago, and we're loading up the last bit of stuff for the trip. Hopefully we'll be on the road within the hour.

See everyone there!

Oh, and we still haven't been able to test drive it. It needs a second fuel pump to do much more than idle, thanks to the 32 gallon cell we put in the trunk. We'll have to hope for the best. LOTS of work to do in upon arrival. Volunteers will be welcome.

Speedycop wrote:

Oh, and we still haven't been able to test drive it. It needs a second fuel pump to do much more than idle, thanks to the 32 gallon cell we put in the trunk. We'll have to hope for the best. LOTS of work to do in upon arrival. Volunteers will be welcome.

We'll probably be getting in a little after 5 but we're at your disposal if you need anything.
Sadly my random spare fuel pump is on someone else's car at the moment or I'd bring it along.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

That. Is. AWESOME!  I hope this thing keeps running all race so we can see it in everyone's pictures.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Well, after conferring with the Lemons boss, it looks as though the pink Cadillac will race again. It only needs a motor, brakes, and bodywork! Look for it to make a serious IOE bid in Detroit in April. We figure that's only fitting, given that the car will be returning to it's birthplace. Our charity fundraising effort will also continue.

I'm thinking 350/350, for simplicity, power, and parts availability. We also need to lighten it up a bunch. Everything on this car is HEAVY.

From the photos, the car was very clean to begin with - hard to imagine it was $500 or less, but good luck with that tank!  Those things were really made with some heavy steel - perhaps backyard fiberglass body panels?  A swiss cheese look made with a plasma cutter?  Cut 6' off the length?  The sky is the limit!

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

88 (edited by Speedycop 2009-10-18 10:32 AM)

Stovebolt wrote:

From the photos, the car was very clean to begin with - hard to imagine it was $500 or less, but good luck with that tank!  Those things were really made with some heavy steel - perhaps backyard fiberglass body panels?  A swiss cheese look made with a plasma cutter?  Cut 6' off the length?  The sky is the limit!

Technically, it was $580. I also had to do a few minor repairs (labor only) on the guy's 74 Lincoln. Jay didn't care, because it was an uber-slow car geared towards charity fundraising. The judges joked about giving us 50,000 penalty laps, just because it didn't matter anyway. big_smile

Also, it wasn't that clean. It didn't exactly drive, it barely even idled, had no brakes, rotten tires, and rotten interior. The pink hides the large rust holes pretty well, as the people who've seen it can attest. With total brake failure AGAIN, a locked-up motor, and body damage, Jay gave us a residual of $1. $499 should be enough to get it going again...

Clean?!
lolwut?

http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/lamest_day/img_6349_std.jpg
http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/lamest_day/img_6350_std.jpg

This fender is fairly indicative of the condition of the rest of the car.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Ok, so the shots I saw were at a distance....looks like you have some of nature's car weight reduction going on there.... 

Yea, what a pig to drive - I can't imagine!  Good luck...

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

The caddy was easily a 50ft car. Any closer and you see it for what it really is, a bondo bucket.