26 (edited by cszackie 2012-02-06 02:13 PM)

Re: Chevy Sprint Turbo to debut at TWS, condition yet unknown

Crab Spirits wrote:

Cool! Good luck!
There are guides online to convert the NA G10 block from the Metro to a G10T if that one is trashed. They have floating cylinder liners IIRC that can make head sealing problematic if damaged. It might even be a good idea to grab 2 extra complete G10's incase something happens during the race. Two hefty guys can swap them out by hand after all.

Spare parts are for the second race.  We spent all our money on fancy hats.

(There's actually a small Metro junkyard near here so if I can convince my teammates to sell a few more pints of blood, we might be able to pick up an extra block.  Though I know there are some significant differences between the N/A & turbo, like pistons, cam, intake, etc)

Team Reynolds Style
Team Turbo Style (RIP)

cszackie wrote:

TURBO SPRINT UPDATE:  After combining another new head gasket with a LOT of copper spray, the head seems to be holding pressure.  There may be a proper test drive in a few days but sorting out things like the kill switch and drivers seat seemed more important.

At this point I'd say there'a a pretty good chance we'll see a few laps next weekend.

Sweet!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

cszackie wrote:

Are you kidding?  We've got a crazy pilot, a girl physicist and two GM-enthusiast Michigan Tech grads.  This is the A-squad.

MTU grads FTMFW!

There's something about blasting down Agate street at 3AM (before there were stop signs) trying to catch air in a 1983 Furd Ranger that makes better drivers out of us all.

...or we were just idiots due to the excessive beer consumption and lack of females.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:
cszackie wrote:

Are you kidding?  We've got a crazy pilot, a girl physicist and two GM-enthusiast Michigan Tech grads.  This is the A-squad.

MTU grads FTMFW!

There's something about blasting down Agate street at 3AM (before there were stop signs) trying to catch air in a 1983 Furd Ranger that makes better drivers out of us all.

...or we were just idiots due to the excessive beer consumption and lack of females.

Lack of females just made me more productive.

Driving an '88 Cadillac Brougham through the snowy, hilly roads of Houghton made me a better driver :-)

Team Reynolds Style
Team Turbo Style (RIP)

Yeah... Nothing like doing engine swaps without a hoist.  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I just got word from the team that they blew up the rear diff in the Chevy Colorado they were towing with, and they left the truck and trailer 10 hours away in New Mexico.  Ever resourceful, they "conned an old man out of an 88 Econoline" and are apparently back on the road, though I'm not sure if they are flat towing the Sprint or driving it at this point.  Last I heard about the car's mechanical condition, the former is more likely.

My flight leaves in the morning, I'll post updates when I can...

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

What the hell did they do to the Colorado?  I flat towed the Futura on a Uhaul tow dolly nearly 200 miles with mine and its a much heavier car.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

33 (edited by obsolete 2012-02-09 07:34 PM)

Correction: the trailer they left behind in NM was the rental camper.  Since it already felled the Colorado they weren't sure that the mystery Econoline would be up to the job.  The Sprint is on a tow dolly behind another teammate's truck and all the tools and stuff from the Colorado are in the Econoline, which is also the team's sleeping accommodations for the weekend now, I guess...

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Let me start by saying that as I was typing this update, the race car got a flat in rear, and now we are on the side of the road putting one of the race wheels on.  Yes, the Colorado is dead.  This is disappointing because it was my reliable car.  (Also, my weekend car, an 06 miata, got rear ended last week.)

The truck is in Portalis with a trans man but he says the remoteness of the location means they can't get parts until at least Monday.  I don't know what the Hell happened, but it only has 90k miles and the rear end seems to be cooked.

In related news, ill be trying to find a junkyard rear end for the truck while in Texas, so any help there would be appreciated. 

The econoline van... that's a story for another day.  All I know is it will take a while for my bank account to recover from this month.

Team Reynolds Style
Team Turbo Style (RIP)

Good luck!!! Wish you guys well.  Sprint turbo is really a cool car.. so cool.

cszackie wrote:

Let me start by saying that as I was typing this update, the race car got a flat in rear, and now we are on the side of the road putting one of the race wheels on.  Yes, the Colorado is dead.  This is disappointing because it was my reliable car.  (Also, my weekend car, an 06 miata, got rear ended last week.)

The truck is in Portalis with a trans man but he says the remoteness of the location means they can't get parts until at least Monday.  I don't know what the Hell happened, but it only has 90k miles and the rear end seems to be cooked.

In related news, ill be trying to find a junkyard rear end for the truck while in Texas, so any help there would be appreciated. 

The econoline van... that's a story for another day.  All I know is it will take a while for my bank account to recover from this month.

Are S10 rears interchangeable? This is in college station: http://collegestation.craigslist.org/pt … 26394.html

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

37 (edited by obsolete 2012-02-09 08:39 PM)

Good thing it wasn't one of the race tires.  Did you unload some of the heavy stuff from the car?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2eckzf8.jpg

3.42 ratio?  Car-Part lists one in Houston for $650 with 28k on it.  Wonder if I can fit it in my rental car if I fold the seats down.

obsolete wrote:

3.42 ratio?  Car-Part lists one in Houston for $650 with 28k on it.  Wonder if I can fit it in my rental car if I fold the seats down.

Wrapped in garbage bags and loaded with 2/3 people.. Yes

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Pretty sure the Colorado is completely different from the S10, rear end wise.  My research says it is a Torsen 10 Bolt, same as the Trailblazer/Envoy.  But that won't really help you, since you will need the whole thing out of a similar truck to be able to do a simple swap.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Team Infinniti wrote:
obsolete wrote:

Wrapped in garbage bags and loaded with 2/3 people.. Yes

Garbage bags...good call.

Seeing Sprint Turbos become the E30 of Class C would be like a dream come true.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

You guys are haveing WAY too much fun.  Curt and crew, good luck, hopefully it all works out.  If not, think of the stories!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Well, it all came to an end today.  One of our guys rolled the Sprint.  First time racing, not on the forum (not currently, I don't think).  It was extremely minor; the car tipped more than rolled, and everybody was fine, but when it comes to the "why is my car on its roof" rule, there are no exceptions.  One spectator told me it was the slowest rollover he's ever seen.

The car snap oversteers on lift-off.  It's very sudden and hard to control.  It caught me once earlier in the day; I got into a tank slapper coming out of 9 going into 10 and couldn't recover, ended up sideways on the oval where it crosses the road course.  I was lucky and was able to drive the car back to the penalty box.

The guy who rolled it did the same thing in the same place, but caught a rear tire in the dirt/mud off the pavement, and from what I'm told the car basically just tipped onto its roof.  All but one of our drivers did the same thing in the same place on the track; he was just the least lucky of all of us.  The only damage to the car is a cracked up windshield and a few dents.  The cage is fine and worked perfectly.

This came just after we finally got the motor running the best it had all day.  It still wasn't right, but we weren't hitting fuel cut in the ECU like we were earlier.  The unrestrictive exhaust was allowing the turbo to overboost the car, which maxed out the crappy trap-door MAF in the intake and caused the ECU to cut the fuel whenever we got on it too hard.  We "fixed" it by taking a vicegrips to the exhaust tip and crushing it until the orifice was small enough to restrict flow like a stock exhaust would, at which point the car only boosted to 8-10 lbs like it should and didn't cut out anymore.

Oh well, we got a nice room at the Holiday Inn with a nice warm shower smile  I'll be bumming around the paddock tomorrow, so if anyone needs an extra wrench hand, let me know...

Oh noes!  I could've mentioned these front engined Metro-like cars snap around upon heavy braking or lifting off the gas (trailing throttle oversteer).  We had 3 spins our first race due to all of us being used to a rear wheel drive train and more weight in the rear.  It hasn't happened since, so it's manageable.. but it is SUDDEN when it does happen.  So sorry to hear.  Glad everyone is ok.  I was rooting for this car to win C.  Darn it.

This is my fear on our current choice of automotive fury.  FWD, short wheel base and light weight. 

Our car is actually starting to shape up.  We did a burn out in the grass yesterday and didn't blow it up.

Hope you guys have a good time Sunday.

b

This space for rent.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Oh noes!  I could've mentioned these front engined Metro-like cars snap around upon heavy braking or lifting off the gas (trailing throttle oversteer).  We had 3 spins our first race due to all of us being used to a rear wheel drive train and more weight in the rear.

I heard if you cut and stretch a Metro-like car 4 feet, you don't have those problems.  smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I heard that if you make a metro-like car have a "rear wheel drive train and more weight in the rear", you.......well, you still have those problems. sad

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

TeamLemon-aid - So you just modified your driving style, not the car?  We started brainstorming possible solutions like stiffer front springs or a little bit of rear toe-in to try to raise the threshold at which it starts to slide.

Three of the drivers on the team had experience driving FWD Lemons before.  In my Beretta, lift-off oversteer comes on gradually and predictably, and can be used to 4-wheel drift corners with a little practice.  If would be great if the Sprint could be made to behave more like that, but I'm not sure it's possible with its short wheelbase and feather weight.

Not trying to brag, but our mini and moke have no such problems and have an 8in shorter wheelbase. However, when we put a rear swaybar on the mini for its 3rd race, we had 3 spins on the first day and were parked and nearly put on the trailer for the weekend.

Check rear camber and toe. We run about 1 degree neg camber on the rear and zero toe, but 1/16-1/8th toe in at the rear will help. Soften the rear end if you can't stiffen the front.

Put the smallest rear wheel cylinders you can find on the rear or put an adjustable bias valve in there and pretty much leave only a trickle going to the back.

Brake in a straight line before you enter the turn and then throttle your way through it from just before the apex-- that's the key. With a softer rear end, the weight will transfer to the back under accelleration planting the rear more. It's when the inside rear lifts that the "snap oversteer" initiates, I betcha.

You also should think about having more suspension "droop" in the rear so the inside rear is less likely to get airborne when the car leans. A tire in the air does nothing for traction. My bit about softening the rear may help with this. (I know, seems against everything you hear bout putting rear swaybars to keep the car flatter, and blah blah).

The easiest at-the-track fix = put crappier tires on the front and/or inflate the front tires more and/or let air out of the back.

I've learned that "loose is fast" in a mini on an uncrowded track with skilled, predictable drivers (watch guys who know they are doing in a mini field and they are sideways much of the course). But with the sudden evasive maneuvers sometimes required in Lemons or mid-turn corrections, (and skittish drivers like myself) it doesn't translate.

These are all just things to try and things I've played around with.