Topic: Update the Lemons Wikipedia entry

we're too lazy, but that shit's out of date

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hours_of_LeMons

Qualifiers? Seriously?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Update the Lemons Wikipedia entry

Yeah, someone who's literate and non-lazy, please update. Do a really good job and we might, like, have mercy on you at the next BS inspection. Yeah, sure! We got 'em workin' in shifts!

Did anyone take on this task yet?  Looks like there was a very minor update done yesterday.

I'll try to give it a look sometime this week, maybe tomorrow.  It looks like there's a lot of stuff that can be nuked and rewritten.  I'll try to take as much info from the website FAQ's and such as possible for consistency.

Is there anything you'd like to see added that's not there?  Brief bio of Jay as the Chief Perp?  Bios or mention of any other key players?  Lemme know.

If you see updates from "notSpartacus", that would be me.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Hey, help me out with some photos.  (and the above info, if you can)

Give me a better Lemons logo (or I'll steal one from the website)

Give me the best representative Lemons race photo... I think something with lots of cars, some good action, but not a crash photo (not what you want when you're just showing one photo).  The existing photo is too much "fence" in the foreground.

Give me your favorite awesome Curse photo.

Might as well have more fun...  Give me your best People's Choice photo, too.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/09/Uber_Gallery_Main-800px.jpg

This is my all-time favorite Lemons photo, taken by the future Mrs. Judge Jonny at Altamont '08.

http://cache-foo-03.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/07/LeMons_Costumes-07.jpg

Favorite People's (Organizer's) Choice photo is tougher, but I like this one a lot.

Loren, I have a high-res version of the logo on my machine at home. I'll try to drop it on the Wiki tonight when I get home. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Beware when uploading pictures to wikipedia you need proof that you have the authority to be putting pictures up.  There are lots of rules-nerds prowling the site.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Thanks guys.  I was gonna start on this last night, but sleep won.

Far be it from me to question the honorable judge's opinion, but while those are good photos... they could be better.  I see why you like the race photo, but it only shows 5 cars... 3 of them clearly.  I know I've seen some that show... Idunno, 10-12 cars in one turn?  And I'd make sure one of those cars has an over-the-top theme... freakin' airplane wing, train, something that's quite obviously NOT your typical race car.  (yeah, I'm over-thinking this... I do this kind of thing for a living)

Similar thoughts on the People's Choice photo.  Those guys had a great team gig going, but where is the CAR in that photo?  Typical Wikipedians won't "get" it.  A picture of the Rambo-themed car... they'd get that!

Stew on that a little, go back to the archives if you feel like it.  I won't have time to do anything with this until late tonight.

you lazy bastards. Nothing has been done. What do you think you are, judges?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

You lazy bastids! You want photos? We got photos:

Buttonwillow 09 Über Gallery
New England 09 Über Gallery
New Orleans 09 Über Gallery
Reno-Fernley 09 Über Gallery
South Spring 09 Über Gallery
Houston Spring 09 Über Gallery
Thunderhill 08 Über Gallery
Houston Fall 08 Über Gallery
Toledo 08 Über Gallery
New England 08 Über Gallery
South 08 Über Gallery
Altamont 08 Über Gallery
Thunderhill 07 Über Gallery
Altamont Fall 07 Über Gallery

http://cache-foo-09.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/07/LeMons_Costumes-06.jpg

Here's another favorite Organizer's Choice: The Corporate Machine Caddy DeVille!

CMC, now that's a theme!

Okay, I'm going to prevail against procrastination.  I was gonna try to sit and do this all in one sitting, but instead, I'm going to start on a section RIGHT NOW.

How exciting.

Man, you guys weren't kidding.  That article really DOES need work.

I got through the introductory paragraph and the Overview tonight.  I'm trying to write it as a Wiki article should be written... as if the reader knows nothing.  Since I don't know shit, it's easy for me.

14 (edited by bongle 2009-09-25 03:39 AM)

Just added a section about getting into the race

As many as 200 teams will often apply to enter a given race. However, most races only have about 100 grid slots. The organizers decide which teams are accepted based on a subjective judgment as to whether the car and team theme is interesting, and whether the team appears in their application to be fun[5]. This has resulted in a proliferation of fairly complex themes at many of the more popular races[6]. Themes have included locomotives on top of the car[7], cars with added downforce provided by spans of real aircraft wing[8] or other oversized wings, cars based on classic commercial vehicles[9], animals[10], and many others. Aside from themes, teams might be accepted based on how rare, old, or interesting their car is. Teams have entered Corvairs[11], classic minis[12], and cars from historically unreliable marquees[13].

Check out what "historically unreliable marquees" links to smile.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Nicely written, Bongle.  But, be aware that as I work my way down the page, some section of the article may be combined with others or otherwise rearranged to make more sense.  I'm going to try to "streamline" the article a bit.  I think that paragraph probably belongs in the "overview" section.  I'll get back to it... maybe tonight... maybe tomorrow.

If anyone wants to take on the photo aspect, that would be great.

Representative photos of "the race" (as discussed above), BS judging, themes (people/organizer's choice), people's curse, and penalties should be included.

If someone can just get the photos in there, I can add captions or whatever and make them fit the article.

16 (edited by Speedycop 2009-09-25 09:20 AM)

How about a team/theme photo that didn't win?
Such as, oh, I dunno, totally random pick here, this one:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/mark8swatteam.jpg

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

17 (edited by rnr 2009-09-25 12:29 PM)

Videos and photos of all the penalties from CMP spring 08: http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2009/04/0 … lties-101/ Feel free to copy and paste as you'd like (can also give you html source if you need it)

25 minute documentary on Lemons racing from Thunderhill 08: http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2009/01/0 … hill-2008/

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

Here are photos of the first 13 IOE and overall winners.

what, no bonus laps or get out of jail free cards?

Did the History and Race sections tonight.  Sort of jumping around a bit just because I pulled a paragraph out of the intro that belonged in the "Race" section.

Making some progress here!

The challenge here is in writing something in the "dry and factual" Wikipedia style, but sneaking in a little bit of Lemons flavor.  wink

21 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-09-25 11:50 PM)

timdeckert wrote:

what, no bonus laps or get out of jail free cards?

We'll talk about that when the project is done. Look at it this way: if the Lemons Wikipedia page still sucks by the time we get to Nelson, we'll be in a really, really bad mood.

The obsolete-since-2007 "Qualifiers" section is no longer relevant, for one thing.

Patience, your honor, I'll get there.  You know I've already dumped over 3 hours into this and I'm only about 1/3 done!

Okay, the Qualification section is GONE.  Added a blurb about it to the History section.

More later.

Separated "Race Entry" into "Race Entry" and themes, elaborating on both topics.  Added introductory and closing paragraphs to the "Rules" section to clarify what "$500 car" means and encourage reading of the official rules.

Just two sections left to do, then I'll get back to photos if no one else jumps in and does it before then.

Looks much better!