Re: Winner Stats

dsycks wrote:

E30 is an E30 and so on.

Just like the Eyesore's Miata is still a Miata even though it's ghettocharged.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Everyone is going to have their own interpretation of the data, different ways of categorizing, and different reasons for looking at the data in the first place. Nothing wrong with any of them. I'd like to see anyone's refinement and reasoning.

For me, "platform", meaning a common chassis with interchangable engines and suspensions from the factory can be grouped usefully for my purposes. Example: (I think) The Cannonball Bandits FX Corolla started as a base carbed model but had the FX16 engine and suspension added. I wouldn't want to pick apart model versions any more than I'd classify by the modifications which had been done.

Jeff G 78 wrote:
dsycks wrote:

E30 is an E30 and so on.

Just like the Eyesore's Miata is still a Miata even though it's ghettocharged.

Yes... Its still a miata. Just one with added power.

The chassis in my mind is static while the things you bolt to it be it power or brakes or aero are all variables.

Daniel Sycks

I believe the only n/a Miata win was done by EnduranceKarting.com Having Fun at Stafford 2008 while using BFG G-Force Sports 340 TW.

it makes sense that E30's and Miata's (especially boosted ones) win so much.....well known racing platforms....BUT Hong Noorth wins with an MX3....not exactly regarded as a "race car"....

For all the heat Porsches take...they haven't EVER won....not even close really.....5th place is about the highest I know of.....  While they can be "fast".....reliability is sorely lacking in most Lemons worthy P cars...   Vs their compatriots in BMW & Benz which win quite a bit....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

31 (edited by Buzz Killington 2012-02-21 03:48 PM)

Then I'd submit that Corolla is a Corolla as well.  wink

gsmith2424 wrote:

I believe the only n/a Miata win was done by EnduranceKarting.com Having Fun at Stafford 2008 while using BFG G-Force Sports 340 TW.

My first Lemons race.  IIRC they ran the last few hours with part of their rear suspension chained together; you could hear the chains jingling every time they went by.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

Then I'd submit that Corolla is a Corolla as well.  wink

gsmith2424 wrote:

My first Lemons race.  IIRC they ran the last few hours with part of their rear suspension chained together; you could hear the chains jingling every time they went by.

The funny part about that race is the car got called in because a lot of people thought the car had sub 200 TW tires. Car was brought and in and sent right back out after people saw it had the BFG's with a 340 TW on them.

The even better part is the car is still running and still has the same engine it that it had from its first race at CMP back in 2008. The car now has 2 24 hrs on it and 5 regular Lemons weekends on it.

At that race, who cares - at the end of the first day there were only about 7 cars on track.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

34 (edited by Buzz Killington 2012-02-21 06:17 PM)

^^And it was awesome!

By awesome, I mean "deafening."

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Miagra won with a Miata at ECR in spring 2011.  I think it's N/A, but I'm not absolutely sure (if mbintx is reading reading I'm sure it'll be confirmed one way or the other).

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

The Miagra Miata is naturally aspirated.

Judge Phil wrote:

The Miagra Miata is naturally aspirated.

Yup. The only "enhancers" on our car are the little blue pills taped to the hood...

Team Miagra
11 races. 7 finishes, 4 DNFs, 4 Top 10s, 1 win, countless good times...

Buzz Killington wrote:

^^And it was awesome!

By awesome, I mean "deafening."

That Stafford race was a blast!  We didn't take the green flag (exhause fell off) nor the checkers (hub broke with five minutes to go).  But we finished 7th through perserverence and the inabilities of the competition haha

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Anyone know what year the Winning Saab 9-3 was last weekend?

While were at it, would like to verify the years of these cars from 2006-2008:

Lemons SF 2008    Honda    Integra    1991?    Krider Racing
Lemons SOUTH 2008    Mazda    RX7    1983?    She's Got it all
Lemons NEW ENGLAND 2008    Mazda    Miata    1990?     Endurance Karting
Lemons DETROIT(ISH) 2008    Toyota    Supra    1990?    Sofa King
YEE-HAW IT'S Lemons TEXAS 2008    Toyota    FX16    1987?    SCHWING Team
Lemons SF #1 2007    Dodge    Neon    1995?    Lemons Lapper
Lemons DETROIT 2007    Toyota    Supra    1984?    Bernie's Revenge
Lemons SF #2 2007    BMW    535i    1992?    Black Iron
Lemons ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA 2007    Mazda    Protégé    1995?    Red Meat

HAH - We have both IOE Mazdas.

I guess there is something to be said for taking the overall winning-est Lemons brand and showing how talented we are at making it SUCK!

I'm not sure what it is that needs to be said - but there it is.  hmm

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Robins Saab is a 99.

Daniel Sycks

Not saying it's not a turd, but that is the least lemony vintage of any winner so far.

Not sure if it is the least lemony vintage of any winner so far or not but they have next to no value.  You are aware that nobody wants them, the company is bankrupt, the parts supply is becoming questionable and you can buy BRAND NEW 2011 ones for $15,000 from the holding company of the bankrupt dealers? 

Took me about 1 second to find this one:

http://york.craigslist.org/cto/2878606792.html

1999 Saab 9-3 - $700 (York)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-03-01, 8:33AM EST
Reply to: bxfm4-2878606792@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1999 Saab 9-3

Four door hatchback with manual transmission. 154k miles, inspected through April.

Known issues:
Needs heater core
Needs evap purge valve
Outer tie rod (I already have the part)
Airbag light is on

Please email me with any questions.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2878606792

Try the SAAB Lemon Water.  It's nice!  Maybe I will pry myself away from working on the SAAB's to buy this one too if you don't...

Best regards,

Robin Bank
www.rbankracing.com

There are 10 cars I had to guesstimate the years based on which years those model generations were produced. They range from about 1983 to 1995. Including those guesses here are the winners per year:

Year    Wins
1999    1
1998    2
1996    1
1995    6
1994    6
1993    4
1992    4
1991    3
1990    7
1989    6
1988    3
1987    4
1986    6
1985    3
1984    3
1983    1
1982    2
1981    2
1980    2
1927    1

Any help with year ID on the list of cars in post #40 above will help refine this.

rbankracing.com wrote:

Not sure if it is the least lemony vintage of any winner so far or not but they have next to no value.  You are aware that nobody wants them, the company is bankrupt, the parts supply is becoming questionable and you can buy BRAND NEW 2011 ones for $15,000 from the holding company of the bankrupt dealers? 

Unless I'm missing some data, the 9-3 is the youngest winner on laps. That's what I meant by "least lemony vintage". You don't need to convince me it's a turd, convincing the judges is what counts, but my admiration leans more to your '85 900 Turbo win. What fun would these forums be though if nobody coughs "cheaty" whenever ANYONE wins? ;-)

So Larry...should the MRolla win overall someday (I suppose it's inevitable, I mean two engines is SO cheaty), would you average out the two years, or did you plan it so tidily that they're the same year?

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Like I said, I don't know if it is or isn't the youngest winner and therefore I will take your word for it but I do know that there are quite a few model year 1999 and newer vehicles that have tried in both series.

I would say winning with the GM version of the SAAB is more admirable but that is because I have worked on both and seen the build quality on each!  Actually, they each have their pluses and minuses but other than the transmission the true SAAB is the way better put together car that didn;t have as many corners cut.

I will let you in on a little secret though, it is the people, the hard work, the driving skill, the pit work, and the strategy on a given team that keep them up front -- not the car.  I betcha all the other good teams would say the same.  Judge Phil has noted that we would have won more races with some other more reliable marque of car than SAAB and he is probably correct.

With that said it is time for me to hit the shop and get off of message boards as victory is hard to maintain and the other good teams we will have to face again have already done so.  Good luck with your racing.

Best regards,

Robin Bank
www.rbankracing.com

TeamPettyCash wrote:

So Larry...should the MRolla win overall someday (I suppose it's inevitable, I mean two engines is SO cheaty), would you average out the two years, or did you plan it so tidily that they're the same year?

-Matt

Front is an '89, rear is an '87, but our new super-cheating rear engine is a '90. So 1988.6666666666666...

The '99 Saabs are interesting, because believe it or not there IS still quite a demand for them.  That being said, in 2010 I bought two of them-one for $200 and one for $600.  I ended up with $1200 in the first one and $1000 in the 2nd one and made more than $1500 on each one.  So you can buy them cheap, even though in good running order they fetch a pretty penny.  I don't understand it, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.  a PITA to work on.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)