Topic: Body on Frame or Unibody better platform?

Spent a couple of hours scraping sound deadener out of the SHO today in preparation of the cage installation and we diluted the boredom by dreaming what could be done with the DOHC Yamaha V6.

Assuming one wanted to build a mid-engined vehicle using a fwd power train (on a Lemons budget), would one prefer to start with a unibody or body-on-frame donor?

Drat! And Double Drat!

Re: Body on Frame or Unibody better platform?

Parade float

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

krek wrote:

Spent a couple of hours scraping sound deadener out of the SHO today in preparation of the cage installation and we diluted the boredom by dreaming what could be done with the DOHC Yamaha V6.

Assuming one wanted to build a mid-engined vehicle using a fwd power train (on a Lemons budget), would one prefer to start with a unibody or body-on-frame donor?

I think its really a matter of preference.  I like body on frame, then you can fab on the frame and not worry as much about the structural points of the body.  But there's good logic in unibody as well.  Just really depends on what you are comfortable with.

I will say I was happy to find the Wartburg to be body on frame.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Judge Jonny wrote:

Parade float

Eat Me

Drat! And Double Drat!

krek wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Parade float

Eat Me

This will come back to haunt you.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

LOL... it was a parade float from the movie Animal House.

Drat! And Double Drat!

krek wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Parade float

Eat Me

Classic!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Mid-engine? We want a twin-engined car!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Oh god, I see the Metro-Gnome guys already licking their chops already about adding a second motorcycle engine (and second toilet plunger) to their Geo.

Solracer wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Oh god, I see the Metro-Gnome guys already licking their chops already about adding a second motorcycle engine (and second toilet plunger) to their Geo.

Rest assured, the Gnomes are up to absolutely no good.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I think someone in Canada has done this in a Tempo. A SHO engine in the front and one in the rear.

sergio wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

I think someone in Canada has done this in a Tempo. A SHO engine in the front and one in the rear.

Someone on GRM did it with a Scirroco.  VW 2.0s front and rear.

And of course there's this lovely thing

A VW Lupo with twin VR6s  http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2970226

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Judge Jonny wrote:
krek wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Parade float

Eat Me

This will come back to haunt you.

...made me laugh for several days...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Solracer wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

The Metro-Gnome may have some pretty serious competition at Buttonwillow... I just visited a shop where some crazy engineers are in the process of building a rear-wheel-drive, Nighthawk-V4-engined, narrowed-RX-7-suspension-equipped Honda Z600.

krek wrote:

Uni is lighter, but a full frame car doesn't use the body as a stressed structural member...so you can cut the roof off to build the cage and weld it back on. Very convenient. If you can, stay away from leaf springs...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

My thought is that a small truck (Chevy Luv for instance) sans the bed might make an interesting platform to build a midengine track car.

That said, after watching the twin VR6 engine video... I'm jonesin' to cram another SHO engine in the trunk of the Taurus.

Drat! And Double Drat!

krek wrote:

My thought is that a small truck (Chevy Luv for instance) sans the bed might make an interesting platform to build a midengine track car.

The truck could be made into a Trophy Truck.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I'd like to see a twin engine Caddie. A big block in the front, and a big block in the trunk. Build it on a 4WD jeep frame? set the Caddie body over it? Just an idea...

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

heh, any rules against 8-wheeled, 4wd cars? I wanna butt 2 Suzuki swifts up against each other a la Octopush (remember Full Metal Challenge anyone?)

Legal if you employ this theme?

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/5/1623-mammothcar1_large.jpg

Drat! And Double Drat!

krek wrote:

Legal if you employ this theme?

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/5/ … _large.jpg

Hey, Ain't that the Mammoth car that turned out to be made out of gold?

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

It was, and I remember correctly had a separate motor for each wheel.  For bribes just give the judges a chunk of your gold car and you should be set.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

That always bothered me... gold is far too dense to contruct a race car out of.  A brick sized bar would weigh approximately 27 lbs and cost $397,200 at today's spot price.

Drat! And Double Drat!

Two words...

Damnation Alley

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7863/hollywood4.jpg

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Krek, the gold was stolen and they built the car out of it so they could smuggle it out of the country.  The real question is if you built a car that big out of gold why the hell would you risk wrecking it and in the end ruining your clever plan by trying to win the race.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page