Re: Drivers Seat

Winwar: Yes, I mean tipping back in case the mounts (or the floor) fail(s). There's no set rule on the distance, but LTDScott's setup looks perfect. I'd say 6-8 inches is ideal.

Ok, thanks for the info. Our cage should be pretty close to the seat so hoping to be good on that. Then it will just be if it needs a brace I guess. That pic looks awesome. Nice setup!

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Winwar: Yes, I mean tipping back in case the mounts (or the floor) fail(s). There's no set rule on the distance, but LTDScott's setup looks perfect. I'd say 6-8 inches is ideal.

So just to reiterate you must have some sort of seat bracing even if you are using a single piece FIA competition seat??

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

rnr wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

So just to reiterate you must have some sort of seat bracing even if you are using a single piece FIA competition seat??

You're running the same Autopower cage as us, so you should be fine with the existing bar behind the seat.

But I'll let Nick answer the question generally for anyone else interested.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

30 (edited by rnr 2009-07-10 08:25 PM)

LTDScott wrote:

You're running the same Autopower cage as us, so you should be fine with the existing bar behind the seat.

I'd like to understand the reasoning behind why you need any bracing if you are running competition spec hardware (for eg: Recaro fia spec seat on Recaro FIA mounts and Recaro double locking sliders)? Plus having a bar 6-8 inches behind the seat probably isnt going add much useful protection anyway

Team Formula BMW

Can I get an official answer on this?

rnr wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

I'd like to understand the reasoning behind why you need any bracing if you are running competition spec hardware (for eg: Recaro fia spec seat on Recaro FIA mounts and Recaro double locking sliders)? Plus having a bar 6-8 inches behind the seat probably isnt going add much useful protection anyway

Team Formula BMW

rnr wrote:

The way I read the rules is you need a seat brace OR a competition seat.

"All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure. "

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

EvergreenDan wrote:
rnr wrote:

The way I read the rules is you need a seat brace OR a competition seat.

"All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure. "

We had gotten an official answer somewhere, either way a roll cage with a harness bar a maximum of 6 inches from the back of a competition seat is sufficient bracing.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

rnr wrote:

I'm no expert, but you can attach all the fia spec hardware you want to your rusted out Lemons seat pans, but they probably aren't the best platform to secure them to.

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

the guy I'm going to be getting a cage done through is completely against attaching a seat to the floor of a car. He said that in tying everything together still attaching the seat to the floor doesn't make any sense from a safety and security point of view. Makes complete sense to me and I was impressed with his stance on the measure. I'll probably post pics of what he comes up with for us and see if he'd be willing to do more Lemons cages for us (pretty sure he would, very nice guy)

Several stock car series require the seat to be tied to the cage

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Serj wrote:

the guy I'm going to be getting a cage done through is completely against attaching a seat to the floor of a car. He said that in tying everything together still attaching the seat to the floor doesn't make any sense from a safety and security point of view. Makes complete sense to me and I was impressed with his stance on the measure. I'll probably post pics of what he comes up with for us and see if he'd be willing to do more Lemons cages for us (pretty sure he would, very nice guy)

Of course this is best, but it's out of the scope and budget of most Lemons teams.

Our team is having considerable internal debate about seating, split down the middle on whether to stick with the stock seat on our MR2 or to go with a more substantial racing option.

One seat we found, used, in our area is the JC Whitney option, "Garage-Pro" http://www.jcwhitney.com/COMPARE-AT-205 … _10101.jcw

I kind of hate it, but the price is right, and as long as it won't hurt me in a crash, I'm okay with it.

Does anybody have any experience with these?

I don't have experience with that particular seat but I will say that a good racing seat is a great investment in my opinion, especially if you plan on racing the car more than once. A seat with good side bolstering that will hold you will greatly reduce body fatigue from having to hold yourself upright around the corners.

The seat pictured there doesn't seem to have very good side bolstering since it's more geared towards off roading.

Double_Down wrote:

Our team is having considerable internal debate about seating, split down the middle on whether to stick with the stock seat on our MR2 or to go with a more substantial racing option.

One seat we found, used, in our area is the JC Whitney option, "Garage-Pro" http://www.jcwhitney.com/COMPARE-AT-205 … _10101.jcw

I kind of hate it, but the price is right, and as long as it won't hurt me in a crash, I'm okay with it.

Does anybody have any experience with these?

Use a stock seat...no way.  with no real provision for the sub strap (unless you go 6-point and sit on it) that is not a good idea.

As for the seat you posted, I agree that it has no real side support, thus not worth it.  I'd keep looking for a better option.

Do you know anyone who will let you borrow a seat?  That is what we have done on our past car and our new one as well.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!