Re: What a $400 Miata looks like-

OR, would these be $100 better than stock shocks?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/2947799892.html

-M

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Yeah, you want the KYB gas shocks.  That's a pretty good deal.

If you ran out of brakes on Issaquah-Fall City Road, I'll give you the OEM rotors.  The aftermarkets probably won't last long (and the OEMs are already true, so no turning is required). Let me know when you want to get your hands on them.

I'm using AXXIS ULT Ceramic pads. First couple of stops require quite a bit of pedal effort, but once they get some heat in them, they are pretty good and consistent.  They also don't seem to be tearing up my new rotors.

Once you have that somewhat sorted, I highly recommend Old Cascade Highway (off of Hwy 2 - West of Steven's Pass) and the Old Blewitt Road

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I've had both very good and somewhat poor results with Porterfield R4S on the street.  Half the cars I have them on seem to work out great, the other half, not so much.  Still worth a shot, and they will generally live on the track until you get really crazy with your brake points and/or are carrying tons of straightline speed.  At which point dedicated track pads beckon.  They make a lot of dust and squeal when cold.  First brake application in the rain is always a bit disconcerting, too.

On the track it is all about the Raybestos ST43.  PFC 97s are pretty good too, but the ST43s outlast them.

Scott

If you're getting the KYB shocks, then I'd be happy to buy your old stockers. Mine didn't come with any shocks.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

I run the ATE Premium 0ne rotors on my & my sons DD Miatas, we also run them on our Lemons Miata. These are cheap, multi-directional slotted rotors that don't crack under hard use. The star shaped slot is also a wear indicator, bottom of the slot is the minimum thickness. We use Hawk blues & blacks on the track & get at least 4 races out of the pads & rotors.
You can run NB shocks on an NA but you have to run the complete assy.  With mods you can run NB upper mounts on the NA shocks & they will lower the car 1/2".
Your $400 Miata looks way better than the $375 one we are racing. Your front sheet metal is probably worth the $400, all of ours was smashed up.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

rmcdaniels wrote:

If you're getting the KYB shocks, then I'd be happy to buy your old stockers. Mine didn't come with any shocks.

Factory delete?

How bad does a set of shocks need to be before it is more desirable to not have anything?

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Top secret tip... The fastest Spec Miatae ride on the bump stops...  Who needs a suspension? smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Took her out for a spin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suH8GmR1 … tube_gdata

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

stimpyvan wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

Factory delete?

How bad does a set of shocks need to be before it is more desirable to not have anything?

Apparently the guy who tore it down for the part-out gave them to someone. I expect to find a few more pieces/parts missing when I get around to putting it back together again.

Funny you just bought a $400 Miata, Roger.  I'm picking up a $500 Miata today.  And its all in one piece...although misisng a couple of those important pieces.  The tricky part will be figuring out how to load it onto a car hauler with 3 wheels.  I think I'll just remove the tire on the opposite corner from where the one is already gone, and balance the car with lead acid batteries.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I would insert comments about selling out, Mike, but I have two Miatas as potential donors myself, and I don't even know of yours is LeMons-bound.  wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Jeff- I'm picking up a second Miata myself, too.  And no, no plans to sell out.  Just adding to the collection for future plans.  Right now I have 8 Amazons (one as a driver), the LTD, the remnants of a '68 Continental, 4 corvairs, 4 mercedeses, 6 Mopars, a Cadillac, a '48 Ford, and 3 other random Euro-Jap cars. 

And my Power Wagon (with parts truck!) and trailer, which at some point has hauled just about all of the above cars.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

The next car that we bring to Lemons will be the Opel, just have to put the drivetrain in it.

My brother and I were actually thinking about making the Miata a regular track car. We've been running the Civic at non-LeMons track events, but it's never going to be competitive unless I put some sticky tires on it, which I don't want to do, and even then a Miata would probably be a better bet for non-LeMons racing, so I doubt that you'll ever see it in the rear view mirror of the LTD.

mechimike wrote:

The tricky part will be figuring out how to load it onto a car hauler with 3 wheels.  I think I'll just remove the tire on the opposite corner from where the one is already gone, and balance the car with lead acid batteries.

Ours had no wheels, so we just slid some plywood under it and dragged it onto the trailer. That worked well.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing, but with 2x10's. 

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4976&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4981&g2_serialNumber=2

I'm going to pick up another car tonight that has no wheels.  I had to schedule that pickup after I got this car, so I'd have wheels to put on it so it can drive (yes, drive!) onto the trailer.  Timing is everything.

It looks like yours is missing one fender too.

Luckily, the 2nd car I'm picking up tonight was only hit in the rear.  And, it's the same color!

43 (edited by rmcdaniels 2012-04-18 11:43 PM)

Well, if you end up with an extra right fender, then I'd be happy to take it off of your hands.

I will have a spare right front, but it's got some dings and stuff.  Better than no fender, though, if that's your current situation, and it could probably be pounded out to make it presentable enough for a race car. 

Here's the pair:

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4993&g2_serialNumber=2

Here's the "spare" RF fender I'll likely have:

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4985&g2_serialNumber=2

The only Miatas in the world that might actually get put in Class B at Lemons.

The major damage on the second car.  Note: the Mexican restaurant in the background was one of the best I've ever eaten at.  Either that or I was just really, really hungry.

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4989&g2_serialNumber=2

Missing right front is exactly my situation. Probably other stuff too, but I definitely need that. I haven't had much luck finding any junker Miatas up here (other than the one that I bought), so if you run across any that you don't want, then please let me know and I may come down there and grab them. Everyone this way wants to part them out themselves for big $.

If I find any more around for ~$500 I'll buy them up for you.  I was having the same problem as you, though.  I posted a CL wanted ad offering scrap value + for pretty much any complete-ish Miata, and all I got were a bunch of replies from guys wanting to sell me parts. 

I'll trade you that dented RF fender for some Duff.  Shitty fender for good beer.  Fair trade?

Sure, but I drank all of the good beer. All that I have left is the shitty beer. I'll have to make a new batch.

No rush, I'll hold the fender for you.  You can either pick it up whenever you come down this way, or I can bring it to the September race, or whatever.  We'll work something out.