1 (edited by milesgary 2009-05-17 05:02 PM)

Topic: Fuel Tank Question

I have a 1990 Prelude I am outfitting for the Buttonwillow race. 

My question concerns the fuel tank.  Our tank is located under the rear seat, under a bunch of metal.  Behind the rear bulkhead (in the trunk) are two metal circles that are not painted, but are very shiny. 
A)  Do those have something to do with the fuel system?
B)  If they do, do I have to enclose the trunk in metal? 

I can take pictures and upload them if needed.

Miles

Re: Fuel Tank Question

I have the same question about an 87 Nissan Sentra wagon.

The fuel delivery intrudes into the rear compartment but is covered by a heavy metal cover that bolts down. So: the metal cover acts like an access hatch. The fuel pump (outside the compartment) sends a line back into the compartment for about 12 inches, then goes outside and under the body to the engine.

Anyone else seen this?

Miles - can you upload a couple photos? I'd be curious to see if it's  a similar arrangement!

Hey, Miles, couple of quick questions. First, what does the bulkhead between the back seat and the trunk look like? If it's solid, and the barrier between the tank and the back seat bottom is also solid, then you're good. If the trunk barrier isn't solid (ie has a cargo pass-through), then the mysterious metal discs you mentioned become fairly important. If they are fuel-tank access ports that can be popped off by hand, you'll probably want to replace them with bolted-on covers. If they're latched on in a way that won't come loose in an impact, you're probably OK.

ThePOS--I'm a little confused as to what's going where, but if the fuel system components that do intrude into the rear compartment ARE covered by solid bolt-on covers (it sounds like they are), that's probably OK.

In general, you're trying to cut off all possible routes for flames to travel from the tank area to the passenger compartment. The most common places we run into trouble are cars that have exposed trunk-mounted tanks AND some kind of cargo pass-thru via the rear seat, or hatchbacks that simply provide a clear path.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Hey, Miles, couple of quick questions. First, what does the bulkhead between the back seat and the trunk look like? If it's solid, and the barrier between the tank and the back seat bottom is also solid, then you're good. If the trunk barrier isn't solid (ie has a cargo pass-through), then the mysterious metal discs you mentioned become fairly important. If they are fuel-tank access ports that can be popped off by hand, you'll probably want to replace them with bolted-on covers. If they're latched on in a way that won't come loose in an impact, you're probably OK.

The trunk has a pass through (1989 Honda Prelude).  I'll have to take another look.  How do you want them bolted?  Can I use sheet metal and sheet metal screws?  Also, is there a way to send you (or other tech) pictures so I don't have to worry about it at tech?

milesgary wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

The trunk has a pass through (1989 Honda Prelude).  I'll have to take another look.  How do you want them bolted?  Can I use sheet metal and sheet metal screws?  Also, is there a way to send you (or other tech) pictures so I don't have to worry about it at tech?

Yeah, sheet metal/sheet metal screws should be OK. Send me pix at npon@driversdoor.com.