1 (edited by jwesthoven 2009-10-12 07:11 AM)

Topic: Focke Ewe Racing's Lamest Day Pix & Vids

Some of this has been posted in other threads, but I thought I'd stick it all in one place.

We managed to keep the car more-or-less in the race for 23.5 hours this year, as opposed to about 8 last year at Detroit-ish.   The engine blew with 30 minutes to go.   

Not that we were in the hunt- we broke the exhaust early, and while replacing it someone dropped a washer in the timing belt chamber- which we discovered (well) after it managed to make the belt jump a couple notches.   That made the car bog down like the fuel system was malfing, so we wasted three hours replacing fuel pumps, filters and pressure control units before someone noticed that the notch on the camshaft wasn't lined up with the flywheel.   After that the car ran like crazy, but then the oil thinned out or something, and the engine went kablewy.

Images (including stuff I've downloaded from other people's galleries)

When the yellow flag goes away, you don't have to be polite anymore...

Why we got the ficus penalty / Scott gets punted.

Ficus Installation.

Me, testing the brakes.

Me, bored while the guys are under the hood trying to figure out why the oil pressure was dropping.

Me, on my last shift.

Jim takes over. I figured out how to add and manipulate audio tracks in Windows Movie Maker, and promptly went and downloaded every corny '70s and '80s  TV theme I could find...

I've got some more of the rear-view video to edit and upload, including Scott's punting from that angle.   

http://www.geek-out.com/Lemons/lemons09_099.jpg

2 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-10-12 12:19 PM)

Re: Focke Ewe Racing's Lamest Day Pix & Vids

Either you're the longest-legged, shortest-waisted guy I've ever seen, or your harnesses are across your belly button. If so, they'll squish your soft gooey bits out in a crash. Your lap belt must be low (on top of the hip bones, very VERY tight, with sub belt snug. Shoulders should be snugged up only after the lap is so tight that you're this side of numb. OK, I exaggerate a bit.

My apologizes in advance if the video angle was deceiving.

Back on topic: Thanks for the entertaining video.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

The wide-angle lens distorts it a bit.   The buckle sat low enough that it was a PITA to get the waist straps down into it.   Not that I actually knew the correct position before you mentioned it.   wink

4 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-10-13 07:32 AM)

jwesthoven wrote:

Not that I actually knew the correct position before you mentioned it.   wink

Here's some info you might find helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliac_crest

The lap belts must rest in the Iliac Crest, the concave part of your hip bone that you can feel on your sides. 2" lap belts fit much better there than 3" (although I think some sanctioning bodies still require 3", but not Lemons). I'm 5'8" and the proper lap belt location is about 6" below my belly button.

A 5+ point harness works quite differently than a stock 3-point. In regular 3-points, when your torso starts to move forward, slack is pulled up through the inboard latch attachment point (since the belt slides through the latch). This tightens the lap belt, keeping the lower part of your body from sliding under the lap belt. This is called "submarining" and can easily result in fatal injuries to your organs.

In 5+ point harnesses, the shoulders attach to the middle of the lap belt and nothing slides. When your upper torso moves forward, it pulls strongly up on the lap belt, encouraging submaring. To combat this, the lap belt must be extremely tight and positioned over the iliac crest. Your hip bones will help keep the belt from sliding up.

The "anti-sub" belt is there to resist the upward pull of the shoulder harnesses and keep the lap belt in place. This belt must be tight because if there's slack, you'll submarine. The lower part of your body will move forward and, for the sake of your naughty bits, you hope you don't contact the anti-sub belt. This is why 6-point belts were created -- to have two anti-sub belts, one on each side.

There is new research suggesting that a strong rearward location of the anti-sub belts is better than the downward installation. This resists the submarining by having the lap and anti-sub belts form loops around your inner thighs. You need a seat that has proper openings for the anti-subs, and the Lemons rules are a bit vague about whether this is allowed.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Thanks man, I definitely want to keep my squishy bits intact.

Uploaded rear-view footage of the punting and the subsequent ficus install.

That's not a ficus. tongue

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

8 (edited by jwesthoven 2009-10-14 01:24 PM)

Dammit Jim, I'm a driver not a herbologist!

"8in. HsPlnt, Asst." doesn't carry the same cachet.   wink

It's illustrative that drivers in the penalty box usually say "get punted" or "get spun" instead of "put myself in a position where a random idiot will almost certainly hit my car."

i.e. on a racetrack.  wink

MurileeMartin wrote:

It's illustrative that drivers in the penalty box usually say "get punted" or "get spun" instead of "put myself in a position where a random idiot will almost certainly hit my car."

It's illustrative that judges in the penalty box will mock you for whining that the other driver struck you, and then will concoct another reason to mock you when presented with video evidence.  tongue     <3   

Personally, I thought the... arborum obscurious was the best penalty idea ever.   Too bad the judge who though of it couldn't afford to bring enough plants to install in every car that went into the weeds.   Maybe next time the penalty should be to provide a pot and a trowel and have the driver go dig up their own plant- kinda like sourcing their own tire for the roof.