Topic: New rules for 2013... Wheel base and rear stays.

A couple of probable rule changes for 2013.    These are very likely to happen:

Minimum wheel base will be 82" for 2013.  We may issue waivers if the engineering allows it.   A complete plan with the location of the driver, cage and fuel system is needed before we consider a waiver.   Only Jay and I will issues waivers.   Don't ask Phil......

The much stated rule about the rear stays is also likely to happen:  Your rear stays cannot extend beyond the rear of you rear tires,  Again, waivers may be granted for especially small cars (see above) but are unlikely to be granted for any normalish car.           

This is not official until published in the rules.. As of now it just a warning of what is to come, please take it as such.

Please ask any questions you may have, either here or via e-mail.   Just keep in mind that I am very busy and can take up to a couple of days to answer..   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Re: New rules for 2013... Wheel base and rear stays.

Evil Genius wrote:

...Minimum wheel base will be 82" for 2013...

Just to clarify, how will you determine the wheelbase? Will it be according to the specifications for the as-manufactured car, or will measurement of wheelbase become a technical inspection item for shortish-looking cars?

Thanks, Bob K.

Our 1986 Civic Si is one of the smaller cars out there and it has a 93.7" wheelbase. I don't think the wheelbase will become a big issue, unless it's a MG Midget (80" wheelbase) or smaller. For comparison: a Spitfire is 83" wheelbase, a Fiat X 1/9 is 86.6".

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

84.6" for my little beasite, but I already cleared it with Jay a few months ago so I wasn't worried wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

We started off at 91".

It's somewhat shorter now. But only on the driver's side.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Our 1986 Civic Si is one of the smaller cars out there and it has a 93.7" wheelbase. I don't think the wheelbase will become a big issue, unless it's a MG Midget (80" wheelbase) or smaller. For comparison: a Spitfire is 83" wheelbase, a Fiat X 1/9 is 86.6".

The Mini is 80.3" wheelbase The angry Hamster Honda 600, if it is using the stock wheelbase, is 79"

The Moke is about 3" longer because we put longer trailing arms on it for the 15" wheels so would just fit in the 82" requirement.

sweet, the 560 is going to sneak in at ... 115!

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Spank wrote:

The Mini is 80.3" wheelbase The angry Hamster Honda 600, if it is using the stock wheelbase, is 79"

The Hamster Z600 is right at 81" now and the cage goes past the rear wheels because we wanted it to go back past the fuel cell...supposedly we're grandfathered in.   Part of me wants it to be outlawed so I don't have to rebuild it after the engine fire.  The car is just like a bad girlfriend both heart breaking on moment and brilliant the next in just the right proportion to string you along.  It makes you think you can make it work out only to crush your soul...again and again sad

84" on the 4CV, but the  Bianchina project is 72".  Maybe it would be a better pit bike.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Jackasic wrote:

The Parnelli Jones Galaxie is a more stately 119".

Waiting for Overzett to chime in here.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

1975 Ford LTD Landau...a proper full sized car, 122" wheelbase!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

i'm feeling svelte now.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Turbo Taxi is 120.7". extra long for that straight line high speed stability..

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

I've got a coupe w/ 120" wheelbase.  Should just sneak by...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Even our Festiva clears with more than half a foot to spare. *Phew!*

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

squirrelly_z600 wrote:

The car is just like a bad girlfriend both heart breaking on moment and brilliant the next in just the right proportion to string you along.  It makes you think you can make it work out only to crush your soul...again and again sad

Hey I dated that girl too, her name was "Audi" :-)

Our Metro is GIGANTIC!!! 93.1". Wow!!!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Well I figure I will ask now.. So the Spitfire will pass the wheelbase rule as it is 83".

But we do not pass for the new rule for Backstays.

You can see it lands well behind the rear wheel, and that we have put in a roll bar around the back of the fuel cell that is welded to the frame. This was requested by Jay to pass safety tech for 2012.

Will we be given a waiver in 2013? I am not sure how you could mount bacstays in front of the rear wheel in the spitfire that would be high enough up the main hoop.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IJ8yfExE3yQ/Tzb4tEnoe5I/AAAAAAAAA3k/iwHon1n0SWk/s500/IMAG0230.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xlBe3sCt6W8/T_NMjyoExuI/AAAAAAAABn8/G0bJRPtsJw0/s500/514-UG-Butt12.jpg

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

I keep not opening the trunk to see where the rear stays end, mainly cause I'm pretty sure its a little past the rear tires, seems like an off season thing to fix though.

Wheel base is a boring 104.9" which isn't short enough to be tiny or long enough to seem enormous.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

DC Doug wrote:
Jackasic wrote:

The Parnelli Jones Galaxie is a more stately 119".

Waiting for Overzett to chime in here.

I was going to say, there probably isn't a tape measure long enough.  Then I remembered Chris told me once he had a thing for buying tape measures at the dollar store.  They're all over the place at his shop.  So he's probably just gathering up enough of them.

Or, he could have somebody at the front (bow) of the car sound off the foghorn, then count how many seconds it takes for the sound to reach the rear (poop deck?).

bs

olaaf wrote:

Turbo Taxi is 120.7". extra long for that straight line high speed stability straight into the wall..

FTFY

oh thank god. now that the frames are finally done on the Datsun, it comes in at 90, which is the minimum wheel base for NEDRA requirements
I'm glad Lemons allows smaller cars

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Wonder if this guy can get grandfathered in.

http://www.subaru360club.org/gallery/360sedan/subaru360-012.gif

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

24 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2012-07-15 05:25 AM)

socal.colin wrote:

Well I figure I will ask now.. So the Spitfire will pass the wheelbase rule as it is 83".

But we do not pass for the new rule for Backstays.

You can see it lands well behind the rear wheel, and that we have put in a roll bar around the back of the fuel cell that is welded to the frame. This was requested by Jay to pass safety tech for 2012.

Will we be given a waiver in 2013? I am not sure how you could mount bacstays in front of the rear wheel in the spitfire that would be high enough up the main hoop.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IJ8yfExE3yQ/Tzb4tEnoe5I/AAAAAAAAA3k/iwHon1n0SWk/s500/IMAG0230.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xlBe3sCt6W8/T_NMjyoExuI/AAAAAAAABn8/G0bJRPtsJw0/s500/514-UG-Butt12.jpg

I built a 4 point bar for my rotary Spitfire and the backstays wound up at the point where the body is bolted to the frame below the original fuel tank mounting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/jensenman/nov07rightrear.jpg

This runs afoul of the 45 degree rule but it was deemed SCCA Solo I and II legal. I ran it at several hillclimbs.

FIA Article 253 says at least 30-degrees for the backstays.

And EvilJohnius tells people time and time again, Properly Executed trumps 45-degrees.