Re: Chronicles of a Lemons Daytona

I think the engine bay alone will scream a few possible themes:

Skittles, blow up the rainbow.

Crayola, they are not just for writing on walls.

Paint by numbers

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

TheEngineer wrote:

If i continue on the path of painting things different colors the car can look like a real life CAD model. I kind of like that idea.

And the engine tries to make itself into a cutaway drawing on it's own, too!

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

make sure you also use yellows blues purples and red to make sure damage as many retinas as possible!

104 (edited by TheEngineer 2013-05-03 08:09 PM)

so i went to build the engine tonight. and turns out the guy that turned the crank is a god damn moron. he told me he turned it 0.01", so order one size over bearings all around. I install the first piston, and what do you know, it wiggles on the crank. Measure the journals, and yup, 0.02" undersize. the moron turned the mains one size and the rods two. I'm beyond pissed off. Have to hope NAPA can get me bearings tomorrow, otherwise i'm overnighting them from someone.

whole weekend is now screwed. This shop came highly recommended from a few people too (and no, they were not related to old doges, they were friends from a local car forum). I will never go back to them.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

If you took it over to Madbury, I'm not surprised. Crap pistons in a turbo 2.3...have a friend who's had a couple Audi engines messed up there.

I go to an old school place in downtown Nashua now, but haven't had them do anything more than deck a few heads and check for cracks.

Sorry you're having trouble, if you are desperate for a parts chaser on Monday morning or Tuesday, let me know.

this screw up was done by precision balance and machine in hudson.

where's the shop in nashua you go to? I'd be happy to check out a new shop when i build one of the spare engines this summer.

I'm hoping NAPA can grab bearings from a warehouse tomorrow. otherwise i'm overnighting bearings from one of the sites i commonly use.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Nashua Engine Rebuilders:

http://nashuaenginerebuilders.com

Old school, cash or check only, seem to do a little of everything, seen lots of bike stuff there, they speak Subaru, and the usual domestic V8 stuff. Like I said, only had them do a couple real basic things so far, but a friend of mine found they were the only people competent enough to figure out his R5 Turbo engine.

I would have just insisted the place turning the crank get me the bearings, or at the very least waited until I had it back and miced out. Maybe the rod journals wouldn't clean up at .01 under?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

I would have just insisted the place turning the crank get me the bearings, or at the very least waited until I had it back and miced out. Maybe the rod journals wouldn't clean up at .01 under?

I was placing a large order for other parts, and just wanted to do everything at once. The fact is he told me that they were turned to .01 under. which means he would have ordered one size bearings as well, and I'd be in the same boat. I should have measured the crank when i got it home. Silly me for trusting someone to do their job right.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

machine shop is ordering me the right bearings. Will be in tomorrow morning. I'm beyond angry with them. I basically had to flat out ask that he pay for the bearings. He offered zero compensation for the screw up. I will not return to him for further work, and will actively steer people somewhere else. I'm angry about 3 things.
1) the screw up.
2) his statement of "I usually always put a mic on cranks when they come back from being ground. I just didn't this time". which tells me he wasn't interested in doing my work correctly
3) offering nothing to make it right other than a "sorry".

Engine will go in Wednesday night. I'll spend Thursday going over the car for other issues. Lets pray this race goes well.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

machine shop is ordering me the right bearings. Will be in tomorrow morning. I'm beyond angry with them. I basically had to flat out ask that he pay for the bearings. He offered zero compensation for the screw up. I will not return to him for further work, and will actively steer people somewhere else. I'm angry about 3 things.
1) the screw up.
2) his statement of "I usually always put a mic on cranks when they come back from being ground. I just didn't this time". which tells me he wasn't interested in doing my work correctly
3) offering nothing to make it right other than a "sorry".

Engine will go in Wednesday night. I'll spend Thursday going over the car for other issues. Lets pray this race goes well.

That sucks. Myself and my buddy drive all our engines out to dover/stratham area for machine work. R&L engines (http://www.rlengines.com/) out there has always done great by us.

(facebook.com/baconexplosions)

10x loser and 2x IOE winner (or is it wiener? Who cares as long as it isn't whiner.)

ridered777 wrote:

That sucks. Myself and my buddy drive all our engines out to dover/stratham area for machine work. R&L engines (http://www.rlengines.com/) out there has always done great by us.

thanks. I've had a few people suggest other shops for the future. I'll add these guys to the list to check out for next time.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:
ridered777 wrote:

thanks. I've had a few people suggest other shops for the future. I'll add these guys to the list to check out for next time.

R&L is the place that has screwed up a couple of projects for a friend and put crap pistons in my 2.3 turbo.

But lots of people have had good luck with them, and I know there are shops who haul 100 miles to have them do stuff. Beats me.

114 (edited by TheEngineer 2013-05-07 05:46 AM)

I am apparently the most unlucky person in the world when it comes to nails.........

In my personal vehicle i've picked up 4 nails in the past 6 months. the last one required replacing all 4 tires because it was close to the sidewall and i drive a WRX which demands matched tires....

Now the Lemons tie in. At Monticello our front left started leaking mid day, pretty badly. I dropped it off this week finally to get looked at hoping it was just a bead that got knocked loose. NOPE. We somehow managed, on a race track, to pick up a NAIL, too close to the sidewall to fix.............

I'll have to take a picture when i pick the tire up tonight.

edit: I called sullivan tire back, and they changed their story to "there is a hole with nothing in it. we assumed it was a nail." I didn't correct them. They're giving me $120 towards a new tire. I must have bought road hazard with these originally and forgot about it.

I feel better now that it was just random debris and not a nail.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I plugged a sidewall on a tire once.  Lasted for years with no problem.  I had just replaced the tires and picked up a nail in the sidewall about a week later.  No way I was going to throw away a brand new tire, so I figured the worst thing that could happen from trying to plug it was that I'd have to throw it away anyway. 

Definitely wouldn't try that on a race car though!

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

We lost a tire on track at Monticello to a small puncture that was an empty hole by the time we got it off of the car, happened on the back straight just after the Peugeot grenaded it's motor...you may have hit some similar debris.   Fortunately, the tire in question was already just about done, and we had a spare.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

We had a spare set as well. Honestly i'm fine with random debris, that's racing after all. I just couldn't believe it was a nail like they originally said. They made it sound like it was still in the tire, and i couldn't figure out where the hell i found a nail. Their changed story makes a lot more sense.

New tire mounted on Thursday and all is well again. I'll keep it as a spare.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

118 (edited by Drdanteiii 2013-05-07 09:53 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

I am apparently the most unlucky person in the world when it comes to nails.........

In my personal vehicle i've picked up 4 nails in the past 6 months. the last one required replacing all 4 tires because it was close to the sidewall and i drive a WRX which demands matched tires....

Now the Lemons tie in. At Monticello our front left started leaking mid day, pretty badly. I dropped it off this week finally to get looked at hoping it was just a bead that got knocked loose. NOPE. We somehow managed, on a race track, to pick up a NAIL, too close to the sidewall to fix.............

I'll have to take a picture when i pick the tire up tonight.

edit: I called sullivan tire back, and they changed their story to "there is a hole with nothing in it. we assumed it was a nail." I didn't correct them. They're giving me $120 towards a new tire. I must have bought road hazard with these originally and forgot about it.

I feel better now that it was just random debris and not a nail.

Ahhh... That's where my nail went.  I knew it was rolling around the paddock somewhere.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

119 (edited by TheEngineer 2015-06-03 10:44 AM)

engine is 80% together. Will go in tomorrow and I'll finish buttoning it up in the car.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/935793_691910963012_1187659811_n.jpg?oh=ff2cd8154237d806374bb02416c8f0fc&oe=560B94AF
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/942066_691911062812_2097809556_n.jpg?oh=bd8bcda4eb3449f608873c390bf545bf&oe=55E87AF1

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I have a photo somewhere of a Lemons car with a 10mm wrench sticking out of the sidewall. Picked it up somewhere on the track.

Judge Phil wrote:

I have a photo somewhere of a Lemons car with a 10mm wrench sticking out of the sidewall. Picked it up somewhere on the track.

That would actually be helpful. I'm always losing my 10mm wrenches. I could always use a few extra.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I managed to leave a 17mm hanging from the caliper for the second half of Loudon Annoying last spring. Found it when I dragged the car into the garage to start prepping for Hooptiefest. Now the wrench has a nice thin profile!

Sheesh... you need to go junkyard hopping for a non-A/C alternator bracket!

Of course, you're probably not as ounce-obsessed as I am.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Omnilith wrote:

Sheesh... you need to go junkyard hopping for a non-A/C alternator bracket!

Of course, you're probably not as ounce-obsessed as I am.

I have one, somewhere. A spare one came in one of the many buckets of charger parts. I just haven't had the time to go digging for it and swap it out. Plus, the longer i leave the normal AC bracket on, the more i want to throw a Rotrex on it and twin charge my way to engine failure.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I was wondering about the a/c mount too.  I just took a sawz-all to mine to cut away the non-essential parts.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013