Re: The newest Speedycop & the Gang Lemons car: Hint, it did 220 MPH new!

Damn, Jeramy Clarkson can just kiss your Yankee ass!

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

Holy sweet Jesus.

I'm entirely too excited about this.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

now, you just need to get with Marc for his radial engine driveline........

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

Damn.

'00 Volvo XC - DD
'11 Volvo XC90 V8 - Wife's, V8 go Vroom
'12 Mazda5 - Work Thingy
'05 E450 Ambulance - Work Thingy

Speedycop wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

I hope you'll be able to use some of the Cessna's gauges when racing.

That's been the plan, Phil. Seems the plane's attitude indicator still works! It's sitting lower on the right. I'm keeping this dash intact, except for the center console:

<snip>

A hundred years from now, there will be a SpeedyCop Lemons museum.  I'm going to tell my great grand children that I knew that guy..

bs

Speedycop wrote:

Due to the shape and space constraints, along with the need for a high-mounted driver position to see out of the windshield and still clear the cage/roof, I may have to center-mount the seat. I'll know better when I get it home and clean it out.

Shouldn't be an issue for anyone with an IFR rating.

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

bshorey wrote:
Speedycop wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

I hope you'll be able to use some of the Cessna's gauges when racing.

That's been the plan, Phil. Seems the plane's attitude indicator still works! It's sitting lower on the right. I'm keeping this dash intact, except for the center console:

<snip>

A hundred years from now, there will be a SpeedyCop Lemons museum.  I'm going to tell my great grand children that I knew that guy..

bs

Yes, I think he'll be famous in an Emperor Norton kind of way.

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

chicagozer wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Due to the shape and space constraints, along with the need for a high-mounted driver position to see out of the windshield and still clear the cage/roof, I may have to center-mount the seat. I'll know better when I get it home and clean it out.

Shouldn't be an issue for anyone with an IFR rating.

I'm IFR single and multi-engine rated.:) God I wish I had the money and/or Skills to help on this one!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

As an aerospace engineer and aviation/racing geek I 157% approve of this.  You could probably sell some instruments to get under the $500 cap if you had to, which you don't.  Now, if this thing isn't powered by a barn find 18 cylinder Wright R-3350 out of a B-29 I will be disappointed.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity! Does it fit in your garage (or is it a hanger now)?

Seriously, we'll be there to help work on this!

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

The Car-ssna will have an insanely low Coefficient of Drag. How low it goes dependson how much of the wings you keep and how you mount the undercarriage (hehehe).  Not sure what motor is going in it, but this being flogged on a track will probably give hypermilers apoplexy since it would probably be perfect for such an application.

But too bad. Speedy got there first.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I am literally sitting a a beachside bar, in the Caribbean, being paid $114 extra a day, with my beautiful wife next to me, and I am soooooo jealous I will not get to see this in action

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy

what the hell.

I've got 4 Lemons builds going on right now, i can't volunteer for one 20hours drive away. why can't you live closer?

absolutely epic. can't wait to see it!

Speedycop wrote:

A bit of nose-down attitude might help?

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

I want it to look like a plane, but not a crashing plane. Expect it to sit pretty level.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Am I being a wet blanket in wondering how you're meeting the OEM crush structure and 4 wheeled cars built for US sale with over 82 inch wheelbase, yada yada, with this?

Just sayin' becuase I was also pondering an aviation theme, but starting with a car. Talk about unfair advantage!!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

Am I being a wet blanket

Yes.

I'm sure there will be a car underneath that meets the requirements of the rules...

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Yes, the design plan has already been approved. The execution must also pass stringent inspection and approval, or we'll have put hundreds of hours into a really expensive oversized judgemobile.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

dahlinboysracing wrote:

There is a fine line between genius and insanity! Does it fit in your garage (or is it a hanger now)?

Seriously, we'll be there to help work on this!

Fritz

No way it fits inside. I'll need your help! Fritz, you and FrankenPhil should take the last two driver spots. Terms are $500 now, and $250 more before the race. We have high hopes for reliability and mileage with the donor we are using.

45 (edited by OnkelUdo 2012-08-04 05:09 PM)

"Shouldn't be an issue for anyone with an IFR rating"

Its been a while but I will volunteer to be under the hood!  As in the IFR training hood...never mind, if you have to explain a joke it isn't funny.

"I want it to look like a plane, but not a crashing plane. Expect it to sit pretty level."

Do not think of it as crashing, think of it as strafing.  I am sure the Air Force had a military version of this...correction, someone's air force.

Am I the only one that hopes the 12 cylinders Allison motors have not all been used up by the tractor pulling crowd!

Incidentally, this was the first, and only, aircraft I had a REAL "single engine operations" incident with.  Lets just say that my CFI was right, you feather the prop, land at idle and hope for the best...In that way it is lot like Lemons racing!  Damn the experts, just stick the landing the first time cause you ain't goin' round on one engine and a full load of fuel.

46 (edited by stimpyvan 2012-08-05 07:49 AM)

My God... It's full of win...

Speedycop wrote:

To fix the mechanical gauges mid-flight, you simply tapped on the glass cover until the lens cracked.

FTFY.

The Attitude Indicator is actually at the top center of the panel (the directional gyro is just to its left).  These two gyros are almost certainly air driven. Don't know whether they would have used a vacuum pump or a venturi to pull air through them. If you are going to try to get them to work, make sure that the inlet air is filtered.

The electrical system was probably 28 volts.  I'm not sure if you will be able to get any of the electrical instruments to work at 12 volts.  Be careful with powering up the panel lights.  5 volt lighting systems were pretty common and applying 12 volts to the lights can be a quick way to blacken them all.

The airspeed indicator and altimeter look much newer than 1957.  Gettng them to work shouldn't be too difficult. Also, the manifold pressure gauge should be a piece of cake to plumb.

You could make this the most difficult "car" in the world to race by forcing drivers to steer and brake with their feet and control the throttle by hand.

If you need any help with the instruments, feel free to email me.  I think I've repaired everything in that panel (except the radios) at some point in time.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Speedycop wrote:

Yes, the design plan has already been approved. The execution must also pass stringent inspection and approval, or we'll have put hundreds of hours into a really expensive oversized judgemobile.

Why am I not surprised. Carry on!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Nice to know I have so many resources available for guidance! The extent of my plane experience is flying Microsoft Flight Sim 2000, and sticking my head in the cockpit when boarding commercial flights to meet the pilots. When you fly armed, they like to know who you are.

I can't wait to get started on this! I still need two more drivers...

Jealous. So jealous.

Just let me know when the beauty is rolling in and I will be down to wrench!