1 (edited by WelchMotorsports 2012-10-20 01:58 AM)

Topic: Question about building a car from a bare frame

I'm a circle track racer who has convinced a few of his friends that this is a good idea, and I think if our team survives a few events we may consider fielding a couple of cars. As it is, I have 3 78-87 G-Body "cars" in various stages of completion, and one of them is a bare frame. I did acquire the car for $500, took the body off and put it on my stock car, and then I took off everything else. And in accordance with the nature of being a race car owner/driver, I've piled up enough junk, I mean spare parts to put together the entire car and not really miss any of it.

What I'm wondering is, in a car that has been completely stripped this way, if a proper roll cage is built on the frame and all the mechanical things pass tech, would there be anything preventing the chassis from passing tech? The body that would go on, only because I figure we have to have one, would be an old stock car body that has been thoroughly destroyed at least twice. The bodies we use are completely skinned, pretty much nothing but sheet metal, and I guess I'm wondering if this would be considered a safety issue and what kind of "oem crush zone" could possibly have been eliminated.

Also, if we decide that for fun we want to use a frame that is bent out of shape in the front, rear, and in the middle a few spots and throw a few suspension parts that have been fubar'd from collisions on the front, will anyone stop us?

Re: Question about building a car from a bare frame

As someone just like you (10 races ago ) I say start with the straightest most premium frame, suspension and a un-gutted body, think bomber where gutting is not allowed, crush zones are that important here.
ALSO
We researched how well a chev dirt car would do, while feasible and as unbelievable as it seems it was realized there is a huge challenge to getting a SBC to run for 20+hours of hooning not to mention it will be a thirsty bugger that will drink all your teams budget quickly.

We chose to let all our dirt stuff sit and rot, ignored the collection 23 SBC engines and 10 saginaw transmissions then moved to a completely unfamiliar platform, collected new spares and went asphalt to turn both directions. Guess what, I have sold my best turn key pure stock, 5 engines and a transmission to help with our new passion... Road racing Infiniti cars (hint they are reliable and RWD), even the hardest core chev and ford guys on the team, including myself, now believe it was the proper call and have learned to work on and trust these Japanese jewels.Do something like this for a primary car, why you ask, because the team will stay together longer...

As a secondary car go with all the reject crap out of the scrap pile,find a name to go along with all your bent crap, oh use 305 engines, 2bbl carb and keep the revs below 4500... Sound retarded? Sorry, this is the only known formula to keep a SBC running in this sport, do not take it as a challenge, take it as advice.

No regrets on selling stuff or moving away from chev, the people are great and the atmosphere is not like any other race you have attended.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

We do have another car we plan on using to get started, this is just me thinking that if for some reason I can keep my team interested in this to the point where we will actually run two cars, it would be convenient if I could use all the stuff I've got laying around for it, especially because the car I've used the last two seasons is getting pretty beat up and it would be a great way to retire it.

But what you're saying is that when I deconstructed the car, I changed it in a way that violates the rules and the body that goes on it has to remain the way it was produced from the factory and a better starting point would be a car that has not had it's body removed and reduced to sheet metal? That's mostly what I was wondering.

I was thinking I could find some old V6 that nobody wants and throw it in there to prove we're serious about going slow in the thing too. It has to be somewhat more economical though I can't say I'd have much more faith in the endurance of such a thing.

WelchMotorsports wrote:

What I'm wondering is, in a car that has been completely stripped this way, if a proper roll cage is built on the frame and all the mechanical things pass tech, would there be anything preventing the chassis from passing tech? The body that would go on, only because I figure we have to have one, would be an old stock car body that has been thoroughly destroyed at least twice. The bodies we use are completely skinned, pretty much nothing but sheet metal, and I guess I'm wondering if this would be considered a safety issue and what kind of "oem crush zone" could possibly have been eliminated.

LOL...what you are describing is a "limited late model", not a "street stock" (said as a long ago roundy-round guy). Whether it will fly with the Judges I can't say, but I do know that a local team showed up at last month's Lemons race at Thunderhill with a Porsche 944 built like what you describe, complete with SBF and top-loader...and got assigned 60 penalty laps before blowing up. Oh, it must have been fun while it lasted, because they posted one of the quicker laps, but nobody was fooled.

The bottom line is that the Judges aren't a bunch of newbs who are going to wave through a wolf in sheep's clothing, even if they know it won't last. Instead, do what Team Infinniti suggests and build a Bomber with an automatic, tiny 2-bbl or TBI. Throw a middlin' rear gear at it and disconnect the vacuum regulator so it will just stay in 3rd while not going over 4500 RPM, and come out to have fun.

The "Bomber Brigade" needs more members, and you might be surprised how high they can finish on the fun/dollar scale. big_smile

http://image.hotrod.com/f/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1109_1927_ford_model_t_gt_race_car/37391466+w794/hrdp-1109-10+1927-ford-model-t-GT-race-car.jpg

This car races in X Class on the West Coast. So the precedent has been set to do what you are asking therefore it is possible. However, the rules evolve and cars are grandfathered in even though they no longer conform to the current ruleset. Essentially, you need to get approval from Jay to build the car you are describing. And Jay relies heavily on John of Evil Genius as the Chief Tech Tyrant.

Talk to Jay (510-655-5980 ext 23) before you spend any money or cut any metal on this project.

Ive got to say that there is no crush zones on a g-body.  Its a full frame car.  I dont see how there would be any problem in doing what You are saying.  It wouldnt be any different then the model tgt pictured above.  As fpr 23 sbc lasting.....Oil control is the key and they will run all day long.

This would be far from an effort to pull a fast one on the judges, it's more like trying to find a purpose for a bunch of beat up crap I'd rather not throw away, in a manner of speaking.

What zimsport said is also something I was wondering about, what kind of crush zones can a full frame car like this have? even out of the factory, the front and rear bumpers bolt on to the frame. It is possible that when the body is stripped to just the skin that something has been removed that was designed to collapse in the event of a collision, but if the body moved at all because of contact it would hit the roll cage before anything else.

It's not a question of cheating and/or exploiting loopholes in the rules, it's a question of passing the tech inspection. That's why you need to talk with Jay Lamm before you build anything, so you can get your ideas cleared with him. The insurance company that covers Lemons has some very specific demands about equipment, and these demands may not coincide with what you believe to be logical, rational concepts of what is safe and what isn't. Just call Jay up and he'll work with you-- he wants weird cars on the track.

WelchMotorsports wrote:

This would be far from an effort to pull a fast one on the judges, it's more like trying to find a purpose for a bunch of beat up crap I'd rather not throw away, in a manner of speaking.

I apologize if I left you with the impression I thought you were trying to "pull a fast one". What I really meant was that Lemons might take one look at such a car and decide it runs afoul of the "$500 crap-can race car" Lemons ethos and toss you before you ever got on track, even though you could well have less than $500 into it. OTOH, for all I know Jay might say, "Bring it on!" If so, you're in like Flynn. big_smile

Judge Phil's comment immediately above is the key. Call Jay. Heck, if this approach flies you could be the vanguard of something weird and wonderful. More to the point, if this flies, I can see a $500 Corvette GTP car in my future. wink

http://www.corvettegtp.info/sitebuilder/images/Corvette_GTP_Eagle-530x310.jpg

zimsport wrote:

Ive got to say that there is no crush zones on a g-body.  Its a full frame car.  I dont see how there would be any problem in doing what You are saying.  It wouldnt be any different then the model tgt pictured above.  As fpr 23 sbc lasting.....Oil control is the key and they will run all day long.

What you are saying doesn't make any sense. Of course a full frame car has crush zones. If this wasn't the case there would be no way to get modern body on frame cars/trucks to pass crash standards. Parts of the frame, usually in front of the front axle and behind the rear, are designed to give in the even of an accident, as is the stock sheet metal. Deflecting all this metal absorbs energy so by the time the passenger compartment gets to the bridge support you just ran into head on you are going much slower than you were when the bumper hit it.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

many years ago a "new" team showed up with a pristine fiberglass widebody 944 turbo.......they got LOTS of laps & proceeded to blown up, plus get lots of black flags .....which is stunningly common to new Lemons teams.....

The same 944 finished its1st race with lots of damaged body panels.....& eventually ended up with a SBF engine....I think it still races & is much more "Lemons" appropriate now (think crappy)

SBC's are incredibly horrible.....so bad that they rarely finish a race......running one almost guarantees you will blow up....which helps your odds of getting in.....but I would follow judge Phil's advice and call Jay directly.....

How bad is the SBC record.....hmmm when it makes a Porsche 928 engine seem VERY reliable....that speaks volumes

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I hear what you are saying, but being in Autobdy for over 20 years, a full frame car isnt considered "crush zones".   Yes, it passes safety standards, but as a truck usually, not a passenger car.  A unibody car is much safer in an accident, due to the crush zones.  They absorb allot more energy then a full frame chassis.  Yes the full frames absorb some energy, but seeing these accidents every day, shows that most of the time when a truck frame is bent, the vefhicle is very close to a total.  Yet I can see cars that come in with the front end 4 ft shorter due to the crush zones, and the rails, and sheet metal get cut off and replaced, without totalling the car.

icemang17 wrote:

many years ago a "new" team showed up with a pristine fiberglass widebody 944 turbo.......they got LOTS of laps & proceeded to blown up, plus get lots of black flags .....which is stunningly common to new Lemons teams.....

The same 944 finished its1st race with lots of damaged body panels.....& eventually ended up with a SBF engine....I think it still races & is much more "Lemons" appropriate now (think crappy)

I think that's the car I saw in Campbell a few weeks before the Sonoma race. Still got lots of BS laps (60!?), and managed to have mechanical issues (trans/clutch?). Posted some hella fast laps while it ran, tho... wink

G-bodies can be good and fast.

We ran 1 SBC for 7 races before having issues.  YOu MUST keep revs down.  Don't try to make any power out of it.

Since that time, we went through 5 engines this year (only did 3 races with it.)

Our best finish was 9th at Summit Point with 100+ cars on track.  That being said, we were running 4th at NJMP when we blew a head gasket and dropped out (Thank you SBC!).

Just run the stock boddy panels on the stock frame with a nice roll cage.  Go have fun.

Good luck!

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

There was an old enduro car that won heroic fix at NJMP in 2011, so there is precedence for old dirt cars running in Lemons.  Well, at least for about 15 minutes at the start and 15 minutes from the finish.  smile

The best suggestion is to get Jay's approval.

I would think if you used a complete driver's compartment that you could argue everything else is just bolt on.

Also, think "enduro" roll cage, as in no bars thru the front firewall and backstays as per the 2013 rules.

It still may just be easier to start with a complete car.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013