Topic: Idiot at Airport Today

So I was flying back from Austin today for work and it was an interesting experience, racing-wise. Going through security in front of me were 2 guys from Grand-Am who were out at COTA doing some pre-prep stuff for their race next year, so we had a nice chat. Apparently the Compuware Corvettes were out there today turning test laps and one of the guys used to work for them. They're excited for the race in the spring.

They had to hustle off to their gate, whereas I needed to hustle to the bar for a late lunch and a beer. Seeing an empty seat at the bar next to a guy wearing a Vodaphone McLaren jacket, I thought, hey, maybe this could be an interesting conversation. So I sit down and order a beer and ask him "you a Hamilton or a Button fan," and he gives me a kind of quizzical look.

"um, neither? I think Hamilton is leaving the team next year anyway."

"yeah, how do you think he'll do with the Silver Arrows?"

"blank stare"

Then it turns out that he'd never heard of Grand-Am either. I think maybe he just bought the jacket because he thought it looked cool. It looked a lot less cool when he knew next to nothing about the team and sport he was promoting.

At least the beer was good.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: Idiot at Airport Today

Oh you're one of THOSE guys...

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I don't get it.  hmm

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

You mean there's other types of racing besides Lemons, Chumpcar, dirt track, drag, and NASCAR?

Huh.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

5 (edited by Mulry 2012-12-18 08:31 AM)

Maybe the d-bag was planning that he could trick a hot bimbo into thinking that he was a driver at F1-related parties; maybe the hot bimbo thought she could score a lifetime of child support from a d-bag F1 driver. I would enjoy the delicious irony that would result if they both made their schemes work with each other.

Sounds like a song for Reckless Kelly, actually.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I wore a Martini Racing shirt at a bar once and told a girl there I raced a Delta S4.  Am I a bad person?

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

Sledge wrote:

I wore a Martini Racing shirt at a bar once and told a girl there I raced a Delta S4.  Am I a bad person?

The real question is whether or not you succeeded.    smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

The real question is whether or not you succeeded.    smile

I did not.  Somewhere around the "Rules and Regulations" talk after the "What's Group B?" question her eyes kinda glazed over.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

It is indeed a rare bird that will stick around once the talk turns to homologation.

Mulry wrote:

It is indeed a rare bird that will stick around once the talk turns to homologation.

That's because they think it is something especially kinky.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

How stupid would you feel if you found out he is actually just a big Australian v8 Supercar fan.  Probably complaining about this annoying guy at the airport that only thinks there is one Vodofone race car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

How stupid would you feel if you found out he is actually just a big Australian v8 Supercar fan.  Probably complaining about this annoying guy at the airport that only thinks there is one Vodofone race car.

Not very stupid -- how big is the group of V8 Supercar fans in the US who are also nearly oblivious to F1? But aside from that, he sort of eliminated that possibility too. After the Grand Am part of the conversation thudded, he mentioned V8 Supercars coming out to COTA next year and I asked him how he thought the switch to the Car of the Future would impact the series, and got the same blank stare.

I'm going to stick with my double-bimbo theory, mostly because I think it could create an F1 version of Talledega Nights. Or maybe at least a BTCC version of Talledega Nights.

BoB wrote:

Not very stupid -- how big is the group of V8 Supercar fans in the US who are also nearly oblivious to F1? But aside from that, he sort of eliminated that possibility too. After the Grand Am part of the conversation thudded, he mentioned V8 Supercars coming out to COTA next year and I asked him how he thought the switch to the Car of the Future would impact the series, and got the same blank stare. I really got the feeling that his overall motorsports knowledge was pretty low.

I'm going to stick with my double-bimbo theory, mostly because I think it could create an F1 version of Talledega Nights. Or maybe at least a BTCC version of Talledega Nights.

Mulry wrote:

How big is the group of V8 Supercar fans in the US who are also nearly oblivious to F1?

(counts on fingers) Well there's me. And nearly all of my internet gear-head friends. (shrugs)

But to be honest I don't memorize or recite mind-numbing baseball-style fact/stats on ANY racing series. Shoot, I don't even care about my own.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Mulry wrote:
BoB wrote:

Not very stupid -- how big is the group of V8 Supercar fans in the US who are also nearly oblivious to F1?

Anything I know about F1 this year comes exclusively from what I consider the "filler" on Midweek Motorsports between interesting discussions on sportscars, hilarity ensuing, and the occasionally intriguing 'merican racing report.

I've watched considerably more V8 races from this season, but you can also watch the whole season for free on YouTube.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Having been to a previous F1 race at a private corporate box, they give away tons of free stuff.  Everyone at the suite got at least one hat, shirt, jacket, etc.  Lots of stuff left over.  If you ever get invited to a race via a corporate invite, GO!  They get drivers to stop up, have contests, have great seats, free booze, etc.

I'm not sure that I'd pay to see an F1 race now, I'm ruined. 

My bet this guy went as a guest (probably not even a motorsports fan) and got the jacket free.

Tubby

Mulry wrote:

Maybe the d-bag was planning that he could trick a hot bimbo into thinking that he was a driver at F1-related parties; maybe the hot bimbo thought she could score a lifetime of child support from a d-bag F1 driver. I would enjoy the delicious irony that would result if they both made their schemes work with each other.

Man, why the hostility?  Maybe the guy won the damn jacket at a holiday party.  Sheesh, somebody gave me a Sobe t-shirt that had something about Lizard Flavor emblazoned on it, I didn't feel obligated to study and memorize all of the Sobe flavors before venturing out with the t-shirt on.

Lighten up!

bs

Tubby wrote:

Having been to a previous F1 race at a private corporate box, they give away tons of free stuff.  Everyone at the suite got at least one hat, shirt, jacket, etc.  Lots of stuff left over.  If you ever get invited to a race via a corporate invite, GO!  They get drivers to stop up, have contests, have great seats, free booze, etc.

My bet this guy went as a guest (probably not even a motorsports fan) and got the jacket free.

I've never been to a press box for any car race but for every other sport I've been to I tend to prefer to be with the unwashed mass then in the corporate box.  Sure the desert cart and free drinks are great, but I tend to enjoy being surrounded by people who pay attention to the game and not what the new thing the waitress is bringing.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I only pay attention to the /real/ racecars.

if doesn't run:
on diesel,
a navigator,
and/or in C class,
I'm not interested.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

20 (edited by Mulry 2012-12-18 11:17 PM)

bshorey wrote:

Lighten up!

That's a good point, I'm clearly WAY too serious.

bshorey wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Man, why the hostility?  Maybe the guy won the damn jacket at a holiday party.  Sheesh, somebody gave me a Sobe t-shirt that had something about Lizard Flavor emblazoned on it, I didn't feel obligated to study and memorize all of the Sobe flavors before venturing out with the t-shirt on.

Lighten up!

bs

We found the jacket- wearer, and he walks among us!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

BoB wrote:
Tubby wrote:

I've never been to a press box for any car race but for every other sport I've been to I tend to prefer to be with the unwashed mass then in the corporate box.  Sure the desert cart and free drinks are great, but I tend to enjoy being surrounded by people who pay attention to the game and not what the new thing the waitress is bringing.

I'm with Tubby.  I've been in the VIP suites at Indianapolis for qualifying a couple times and it's awesome.  Sitting 10 feet from the catch fence in Turn 2, watching the cars roll down the back straight.  Pit passes that let you stand three feet from Castroneves as he pulls his gloves on and climbs into his idling car.  Leaning over the pit wall as the crew adjusts the tire pressures right before the car goes on track...close enough that you can read the gauge.

Good times.

The best part is, only 25% of the people in the suite are there to watch racing, which means more room for me out on the deck.

Don't get me wrong, I'll sit in any seat to watch racing.  Cheap seats are good, free seats are better, free VIP suites are the best.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Mulry wrote:

I think you just coined a new slang term. "Double bimbo".  That explains so many of the children running around these days. No how do I theme that term?

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

24 (edited by cabinboy 2012-12-20 11:28 AM)

yukadas wrote:
BoB wrote:
Tubby wrote:

I'm with Tubby.  I've been in the VIP suites at Indianapolis for qualifying a couple times and it's awesome.  Sitting 10 feet from the catch fence in Turn 2, watching the cars roll down the back straight.  Pit passes that let you stand three feet from Castroneves as he pulls his gloves on and climbs into his idling car.  Leaning over the pit wall as the crew adjusts the tire pressures right before the car goes on track...close enough that you can read the gauge.

Good times.

The best part is, only 25% of the people in the suite are there to watch racing, which means more room for me out on the deck.

Don't get me wrong, I'll sit in any seat to watch racing.  Cheap seats are good, free seats are better, free VIP suites are the best.

I went to the last Indycar race at Chicagoland Speedway. I got free tickets and was told we might get into a VIP box. Free tickets was good enough for me but then we ended up in the skybox for Danica Patrick's parents (who didn't show up). Free food and booze! Best way to watch a race.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

BoB wrote:

How stupid would you feel if you found out he is actually just a big Australian v8 Supercar fan.

Someone get a camera, then tell this guy that some people wear Ferrari apparel and have never heard of F1 racing...