Re: Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

I'm sure the horsepower will remain "adequate"

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

So when we cleaned the trunk today we found a three ring binder filled with micro-fische copies of some fantastic history of the car such as service records showing major repairs with less the 10k miles on the clock, a copy of the original check the car was paid for with and a fantastic letter from what we think is the original broker/importer and possibly the original salesmen.

Here is the letter completely unedited!

Re: Chassis SRX 6927
Further to your Teletex of July 30th, we are putting a hold on the above mentioned car for Peter Satori.

We do not want a repetition of the Roy Carver episode and therefore if Satori makes the deal it will be necessary for him to contact APY/LD regarding pick-up date, method of payment and any further work that he may require, such as new car per-delivery preparation.

I must emphasize that we will release no information from this office. All requests must be made directly to APY/LD.

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012 … -car-show/

"...Peter Satori, the dealer who provided the assorted Mercedes-Benzes and Jaguars for the show, specialized in foreign cars of all types from about 1954 through 1980 from his dealership on West Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena...."

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7054/6990964171_2b4abdf2b4_d.jpg

1981 ad for Roy Carver Rolls in Orange County

http://books.google.com/books?id=SRYEAA … mp;f=false

Spinnetti wrote:

just soo cool.. grab a ls400 driveline and you are good to go!

Go big or go home.  throw some old-timey shift kit work at the TH400 these use, and swap in a nice Bentley Turbo R motor, it's the same 6.75 litre mill but with Bosch CIS injection and a Garrett big enough for a motor that size.
Fuel consumption? Pah!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Go big or go home.  throw some old-timey shift kit work at the TH400 these use, and swap in a nice Bentley Turbo R motor, it's the same 6.75 litre mill but with Bosch CIS injection and a Garrett big enough for a motor that size.
Fuel consumption? Pah!

"...If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Type44 wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Go big or go home.  throw some old-timey shift kit work at the TH400 these use,

Same as a Chevy Bell Housing?

#3 IROC MAIDEN

Don't think they have a Chev bellhousing pattern, it may be a custom pattern or maybe it's Buick/Olds/Cad... But the Rolls/Bentley of that era definitely was TH400.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

34 (edited by cheseroo 2013-01-14 09:38 AM)

Roy Carver was the Rolls dealer in Newport Beach for many years.  They were also a BMW dealer.  I used to go in there for parts for my 2002.  Just to give you an idea of how nice that dealership was, I always felt self-conscious going in so I would clean all the grease off and change my clothes just to go into the dealer to buy parts.  I will always remember that dealership because I watched the Challenger shuttle blow up live on the TV in the showroom while i was buying a driveshaft guibo for the 2002.

FWIW, the Jag uses a GM 4L80E (TH400) trans but does not share the bellhousing with anything else.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

These guys come out in 50 degree weather to get stuff done.

We cower inside when it gets to 50.  big_smile

What is all that white shit on the ground by the way?

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

cheseroo wrote:

Roy Carver was the Rolls dealer in Newport Beach for many years.  They were also a BMW dealer.  I used to go in there for parts for my 2002.  Just to give you an idea of how nice that dealership was, I always felt self-conscious going in so I would clean all the grease off and change my clothes just to go into the dealer to buy parts.  I will always remember that dealership because I watched the Challenger shuttle blow up live on the TV in the showroom while i was buying a driveshaft guibo for the 2002.

Was that the Rolls dealership on Jamboree? If so, I have a story about it!

When I first went off to college at UCI in 1984, I rented a room in a house pretty close to there-- right by Corona del Mar High, in fact, and it was quite a culture shock seeing kids a couple years younger than me driving new E30s and Nissan Zs. I remember the Rolls dealership well, because one time I was driving my Competition Orange '68 Mercury Cyclone up the hill from the beach and the exhaust manifold melted through the power-steering hose (I had swapped in a 351W instead of the original, slightly narrower 302 and the hose didn't have much clearance) and the car started gushing out burning-tranny-fluid smoke. This had happened before (PS hoses are cheap at Pick Your Part), so I didn't freak out-- just pulled into the nearest driveway to wait for things to cool off, so I could remove the PS belt and maybe duct-tape up the hole in the hose enough to stop (most of) the no-longer-pressurized leakage.

Turns out I had selected the driveway of the Rolls-Royce dealership, which was doing a booming business at that time thanks to all the money from crooked Orange County S&L scamsters. So here comes this bright orange hooptie Mercury with air shocks, huge 295-wide Radial T/As, and Motörhead cranking on the cassette… and an enormous cloud of smoke pouring from under the hood and a trail of fluid leading out to the road. I recall a whole bunch of expensive-suit-wearing dudes running at me waving their arms and yelling gibberish. Oh shit, I thought. This isn't good. I figured what happened next was probably going to involve cops (who would take one look at my driver's license address from 400 miles away, figure I didn't know any good lawyers, and subject me to an extreme-prejudice cavity search), so I fired up the Cyclone and limped off in a gigantic smokescreen.

Not long after that, I moved into the UCI trailer park, which was on state property and not subject to the laws of Newport Beach.

Judge Phil wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Was that the Rolls dealership on Jamboree? If so, I have a story about it!

That's the one.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yup, it's a TH400, with what I think was a factory adapter plate.   I haven't really looked yet, nor am I at all familiar with TH400s, so who knows.

That's good info about who Peter Satori and Roy Carver are.  I'm still quite intrigued by what the "Roy Carver Incident" might possibly be.
Even though it might have started at the Peter Satori dealership, by 1971 with 8000 miles it was in South Florida, per the service records.  At some point, it was painted the lovely gold/brown it is now, instead of the garnet red that it was when it left Crewe.

After working on it on Sunday, the fuel pumps are back in and it starts up now normally.  It doesn't seem to run on all 8, though, but who knows why at this point, after sitting for so long.  We fiddled with it for a while, finding that the ends of most of the HT leads were not crimped tightly, so we took them off and tightened them up, and it seemed to run a bit better.  I pulled 4 plugs, and they looked good, with proper gap, and not too worn.  It did move, stop, and steer ok overall.  I got it up to about 30 and into second gear, and that alone was enough, let alone thinking about having this on track!  One half of the high pressure system was not building pressure, so we need to track that down, it is probably a hydraulic pump or pressure accumulator...my guess is the pump.

One odd thing:
-Attached to the cylinder 6 spark plug (3rd one on the pass side), was this thing:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/543991_394866213933196_262458110_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/46130_394866290599855_1473463767_n.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what the hell this is?  It was only on the one on the car that had it.  My only guess is that it is part of some compression tester and was left in there by accident.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

That looks like an anti-fouler.  On worn out engines that burned oil, you could put those things in and it was supposed to keep the plugs from fouling.  Ah, the good old days when you could drive merrily down the road trailing a cloud of blue smoke with no fear of being pulled over.

Gone bye-bye

Its a spark plug anti fouler, could be an indication that there is blow by on that cylinder.

Dammit, Cheeseroo beat me to it.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Looks like a spark plug anti-fouler.  I've only ever used them on O2 sensors, never on an actual spark plug.

Guess it means the plug on that cylinder was fouling.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

42 (edited by Team Sensory Assault 2013-01-14 07:59 PM)

^^^ Looks like a spark plug non-fouler?

The doodads that poeple put on lazy cylinders with lots of blow-by.    It keeps oil from fouling the plugs.

edit: damn I'm slow but reeeealy good lookin. big_smile

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

This is already one of the greatest Lemons cars in history.

44 (edited by Team Sensory Assault 2013-01-14 08:09 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

This is already one of the greatest Lemons cars in history.

I say that THIS car should be the only car to have the Fun Police relax the "One Person in the Car" rule.

A navigator MUST be in the back seat.   No, a mannequin will not work. 

YES, I volunteer!   big_smile

Judge Phil wrote:

Oh shit, I thought. This isn't good. I figured what happened next was probably going to involve cops (who would take one look at my driver's license address from 400 miles away, figure I didn't know any good lawyers, and subject me to an extreme-prejudice cavity search), so I fired up the Cyclone and limped off in a gigantic smokescreen.

Hopefully you had your Ralph's card.  This totally reminds me of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXfOWfj9-rI

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Judge Phil wrote:

So here comes this bright orange hooptie Mercury with air shocks, huge 295-wide Radial T/As, and Motörhead cranking on the cassette… and an enormous cloud of smoke pouring from under the hood and a trail of fluid leading out to the road.

I hope it was "Eat the Rich"
http://youtu.be/n3kIBBen62s

I was always more of a Megadeath Fan!

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia

That dash is positively baller. You HAVE to keep that in the car.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

At that time, "Iron Fist" was my favorite Motörhead album. Probably I was listening to this song.

I can pretty much guarantee that this is the best Future-$500-road-racing-Rolls-Royce burnout video you will see today ... but I also warn you its not very impressive!

http://youtu.be/_Me2ArbTOK4

try not to laugh too hard.

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia

littleturquoiseb wrote:

I can pretty much guarantee that this is the best Future-$500-road-racing-Rolls-Royce burnout video you will see today ... but I also warn you its not very impressive!

http://youtu.be/_Me2ArbTOK4

try not to laugh too hard.

I bet the J-turn test will go just as well!

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...