1 (edited by psychoboy 2013-01-08 06:48 AM)

Topic: non Lemons track time

a couple years ago my local website hosted what we called a "festival of speed".

it was a three day event that saw HST style track time at Hallett, drag runs at Thunder Valley, and our version of autocross at the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Training Facility (in conjunction with the sunbelt BMWCCA) .

the event was broken up between Street and Race (primarily determined by whether or not you drove the car to the events) and the winner was determined by the fastest cumulative time (best laps/runs at the three events). no wheel to wheel racing for laps at a time, just you against a clock against other people against a clock.

we did a couple of them, but shut it down due to lack of interest (couldn't get enough local people to fund the hallett day)

If we held one at a time that was off schedule with Lemons and Chump, would there be any interest in participation?

Since the Lemons schedule is a little thin in texas this year, and i want to get some track time, i'm thinking about setting one of these up, but i have to have a good feel for attendance to budget for hallett. i think the last one we hosted ran about $300 per car for the weekend. it would be open to any car that can pass tech and pay for entry. your lemon, your daily driver, your neighbor's ferrari....whatever.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Re: non Lemons track time

No firm commit, but we would be open.

Are you thinking entry by vehicle or by driver?  Team event or possibility for multiple pilots in the same craft?

Speedy Monzales
- Organizers' Choice Dec 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas
- IOE May 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
woo hoo

we could probably allow team participation (assuming the venues allowed driver swaps) but the car/team would likely be in competition, rather than a specific driver. it would probably become a logistical nightmare to try to keep tabs on a handful of drivers' times for a handful of cars.

so far as driver swaps are concerned, I'm fairly sure that Hallett and thunder valley operate the same way, so long as you have a driver's wristband you can drive anything that passes tech. at the same time, it's likely that each venue would want each driver to pony up.

in the past, we've bought the Hallett day and entrants paid us, i think we did Thursdays to keep the price down. thunder valley has been done on a Friday or Saturday evening test and tune night, so entrants just pay them. finally the autocross (usually a Sunday, occasionally a Saturday) is paid to its organizer by the entrant. when we've hot-seated the autocross, each driver buys in.

so, we MIGHT be able to spread the cost of Hallett across a team (tho there might be an additional cost for extra driver's bands), and thunder valley is a crap shoot (i can't recall how picky they are on wristbands on test and tune nights). autocross is certainly a per-driver cost.

we've tried to make it as reasonable as possible, which is why we don't handle the thunder valley and autocross transactions. we've done little for prizes, outside of bragging rights, because it was originally devised as an us vs them, import vs domestic, drag/street racers vs autocrossers event and as an thin excuse for seat time.

if it looks like we could make an event out of this, I'll put more pen to paper and nail down some dollar amounts.

Team OK-Speed

It's been a fun event the few times it was held...and in Lemons spirit (before any of us were involved) a Ford Ranger and a Nissan Hardbody have participated.  ...and hurt a few feelers.

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

no matter what i bring to a race....nobody likes to lose to it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3628/3573951630_dd00fd7fc5_o.jpg

Team OK-Speed

LowFlyin wrote:

It's been a fun event the few times it was held...and in Lemons spirit (before any of us were involved) a Ford Ranger and a Nissan Hardbody have participated.  ...and hurt a few feelers.

one of my brother's buddys ran a mistu mighty max in autocrosses that was just flat our surprising.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

7 (edited by psychoboy 2013-01-08 01:41 PM)

when you get right down to it...the little Japanese trucks are not bad racecars.

in the front, they are basically 240SXs with upper control arms and torsion bars instead of struts and coil springs, and in the back they are leaf springs and live axles.

they are running basic technology that has been refined for decades. they can be made to be good enough to scare some people.

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:

when you get right down to it...the little Japanese trucks are not bad racecars.

in the front, they are basically 240SXs with upper control arms and torsion bars instead of struts and coil springs, and in the back they are leaf springs and live axles.

they are running basic technology that has been refined for decades. they can be made to be good enough to scare some people.

I ran a cross a courier pickup with miata front and rear suspension, no motor trans  on CL the other day. THAT would be fun.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Just put something better under the hood than that lump of iron Mazda calls an engine.

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

LowFlyin wrote:

Just put something better under the hood than that lump of iron Mazda calls an engine.

We figured that our miata has somewhere around 15000 RACE miles on it, and we havent even popped a valve cover. It got new spark plugs and an oil change every now and again. It is the same engine that the car came with when we bought it.

What are yall doing wrong?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

dunno but we've killed three motors in three races in that thing.

Team OK-Speed