151 (edited by psychoboy 2013-05-28 09:49 AM)

Re: TEAM SENSORY ASSAULT brings you THE ULTIMATE LEMON

the lower bar on the main hoop looks like it's on the tunnel, so if the main's legs try to go thru, they'll have to bend the cross or push it thru the tunnel to get it done.

the backstay tie probably isn't there to prevent punch thru on both sides as much as it's there to keep the backstays from tweaking and punching one side thru.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

^^^  Yep.  Back for the 24.   I say OKAY!     I need to overcome my fear of that back straight since the last time I ran it, it didn't work out toooo good for me.  smile

I'm predicting that our best lap will be 1:50.

We ran a 1.57 on the rainy weekend, so we are looking at runing a .55 if we can. I think you guys should be able to do really well and get that 50.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Our cage is a work of art.  It really is. 

Apex Auto Works really did a great job here. 

The front of the cage is on plinths attached to the thickest part of the sill.   The back of the cage sits on the thickest parts of the car.   

It never was a matter of the cage punching through.   It was reinforcing the car itself. 

It has HQ and Evil One Approval. 

Quit poking the hornets nest with a stick.  smile  lolz

Sweet!  I was worried that you went to a lot of work and it wasn't right.

Seems you nailed it!  Good Job!

P.S. let me know when you guys need an arrive and drive.  I would love to drive that thing!

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Baron wrote:

^^^  Yep.  Back for the 24.   I say OKAY!     I need to overcome my fear of that back straight since the last time I ran it, it didn't work out toooo good for me.  smile

We ran a 1.57 on the rainy weekend, so we are looking at runing a .55 if we can. I think you guys should be able to do really well and get that 50.

Our FC ran a 1:55 and second fastest lap a while back.  The FD has a hundred extra horsies.   I really (really) want to break under 1:50 but I don't think we have the driving skill to do it.  big_smile

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Baron wrote:

Our FC ran a 1:55 and second fastest lap a while back.  The FD has a hundred extra horsies.   I really (really) want to break under 1:50 but I don't think we have the driving skill to do it.  big_smile

We had a lot more in the 'mont, but we ended up with our faster drivers in the rain, and the slower guys in the dry.

Maybe we should fix our throttle linkage to be able to go wide open...

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Mont Needs Moar Booooost

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Mont Needs Moar Booooost

Nah. Id love to, but I dont want that headache.

Now, the 5.0 Coyote engine that is sitting on the floor of the shop...

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

wvumtnbkr wrote:

Our cage is a work of art.  It really is. 

Apex Auto Works really did a great job here. 

The front of the cage is on plinths attached to the thickest part of the sill.   The back of the cage sits on the thickest parts of the car.   

It never was a matter of the cage punching through.   It was reinforcing the car itself. 

It has HQ and Evil One Approval. 

Quit poking the hornets nest with a stick.  smile  lolz

Sweet!  I was worried that you went to a lot of work and it wasn't right.

Seems you nailed it!  Good Job!

P.S. let me know when you guys need an arrive and drive.  I would love to drive that thing!

Rob R.

Think we can win?  big_smile

Finally started to work on the FD last night.

We have discovered the cause of the loss of power on the second race day at ECR:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/20130820_171607_zps4c432b89.jpg

That's an exhaust sleeve from the rotor housing that disintegrated and shrapnel traveled through the manifold and through the Ching Chong Turbo.

The turbine housing was filled with a handful of junk and the turbine blades were jacked.   Sounds bad but really, this turbo took a serious beating and continued to boost (albeit at a reduced capacity).   We even set the fastest lap time when the turbo was damaged.

I hear lots of bad talking about Ching Chong Turbos but we got that one for free with a spare engine we bought.  Ive seen the same turbos sold new on Fleabay for $150 shipped.

The turbo still has nearly zero shaft play.   

We are not sure WHY the exhaust sleeve came apart but we suspect that over time it must have developed a crack that the exhaust heat agitated until it started to sag or come apart.   Rotaries have some serious exhaust temps. 

Now we are kind of torn over replacing this sleeve.  There is no way to get it into the engine properly without disassembly since a roll pin holds it that is inaccessible from outside the engine.   I say leave the sleeve out - we are running a non-divided manifold so any turbulence introduced wouldn't matter anyway.  The down side to that is that a lot of heat can get introduced into the water jacket this way.   I'm not really worried about melting the aluminum housings - they are water filled.

Another option is put a sleeve in the housing but use the pressure of the turbo manifold to hold it in place since it sits flush with the exhaust gasket. 

I guess we will find another turbo first and by then make a decision about the sleeve.

More pictures, less words.

Fix that mo-fo.

This space for rent.

My turbo can fit INSIDE that turbo.

I wish I could find a way to get Judge Phil to allow us to put a stock turbo on our Lemon.

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)

^^^ Its barely larger than a stock FC turbo.   Really.  Its a T04B and its on an FC tubular manifold that came on a Craigslist parts car so it fits like crap.   You cannot remove the turbo without unbolting the engine mounts and prying the engine over:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/null_zpsa0bbfdba.jpg

When we were thinking of putting on a stock turbo, Phil encouraged us because "turbo rotaries blow up spectacularly!"

Stock turbos really suck in that you need some serious back pressure to keep from overboosting.   

Of course, you guys actually win every now and then...  we couldn't win if they gave us a head start on Friday!

Cant you just port the wastegate on a stock turbo to keep from overboosting?

That does look tight in there!

Also, that compressor side does look about like stock.

Rob R.

Stock FC turbos are good for stock cars.  If you remove the stock turbo inlet duct or open up the exhaust, your boost pressure will rise no matter if you're ported or not.

Its kind of sad that the FC has an ebay FD manifold and the FD has an FC turbo manifold.   They both fit awful! 

I was going to swap the manifolds but then I'd have to retune and that sucks.

Also the FC is getting an open dump wastegate.   The flames at the night race should be spectacular!

The flames at the night race should be spectacular!

Magnamufabglorytastic!

#3 IROC MAIDEN

My fun track car (a turboII swapped GXL) has a stock turbo, full 3" turbo back exhaust and an aftermarket TID.  With my ported wastegate, I only boost to 7.5psi.

Maybe there is something wrong with my car?  Seriously.

Rob R.

Scotty wrote:

The flames at the night race should be spectacular!

Magnamufabglorytastic!

Seconded.  First "must see" notice I've received for the upcoming MSR shenanigans.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

168 (edited by USAF wench 2013-08-21 04:14 PM)

When we were thinking of putting on a stock turbo, Phil encouraged us because "turbo rotaries blow up spectacularly!"

Back in day (1976 or so), my dad turbo'ed his rotary RX-2 and drag raced it in the SF bay area and a few other tracks down south.  Never blew it up.  (He also turbo'ed our '63 Valiant wagon.  It was a most excellent "sleeper" car.)

In San Diego, he moved the RX-2 to race in Tijuana (he worked in a maquiladora), and raced a Hudson Hornet with some buddies, out at el Mirage.

Ex-USAF civilian, still a wench