Re: Let the games begin - Who wants the NSF K Car?

Is there anyone heading to ridge that could drive the k with me i dont have a team.

I'm trying to get a junkyard motor for the K car before the Gingerman race and I've got my cousin calling around for one while I'm at work and the only place that has one is asking him if it's a 4 bolt or 5 bolt output shaft. I don't know squat about it. Anyone know which one is in the car?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:

I'm trying to get a junkyard motor for the K car before the Gingerman race and I've got my cousin calling around for one while I'm at work and the only place that has one is asking him if it's a 4 bolt or 5 bolt output shaft. I don't know squat about it. Anyone know which one is in the car?

If it helps, they are asking about the drive pulley on the front.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

354 (edited by psychoboy 2013-04-12 01:45 PM)

looking at car-part.com, the 5 bolt pulley version is FAR more common in total, but rare in the 86 model. most of them listed are 88 and newer.

the 4bolt is more commonly 86-89.

1986 intake and exhaust manifolds don't care which pulley it is, neither do transmissions or cylinder heads (as long as it's a 2.2), so probably either motor will work, so long as you get the pulley with it, and whatever belts it might need, if the pulley is a different size.

any pics of ronman's assembly that will help answer the question?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

355 (edited by ronman 2013-04-12 03:12 PM)

It's 4, and they're soft, external torx screws. "Universal" sockets will work on them.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Well it looks like we won't be seeing the K car until Gingerman since tSoG's truck broke. I'd rather not have him rush to fix it just to get it here. In the meantime I'll keep looking for an engine. There's a '94 Shadow on Craigslist that I'm thinking of picking up.

I wandered around my local pull a part and found exactly no K-cars.

i did find three 2.2 5 bolt pulley motors in a 89 LeBaron, an 88 shadow, and a 91 spirit.

i think the later motors won't work entirely with the electronics in the K, but the short blocks should be the same.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

i did find three 2.2 5 bolt pulley motors in a 89 LeBaron, an 88 shadow, and a 91 spirit.

i think the later motors won't work entirely with the electronics in the K, but the short blocks should be the same.

I hope so.  there are two complete intake/exhaust set ups last  time.

This space for rent.

VIN shows this to be a 86, and I believe you about it being an 87 but I can't figure out which fuel pump I need .15 PSI or 40+ psi

NSF wrote:
cabinboy wrote:

So the car will not have a seat or harness? That's something every team will have to plan for as well as little things like tires and brakes.

Right.  We borrowed the seat from DC Doug and it has to go into the Barracuda for our trip down to Mexico in April. 

BTW:  it is a 1987 Plymouth Reliant K Wagon, 2.2 FI Automatic.  = for parts and such.

I strongly recommend that you just put it in drive and go - and don't shift up and down.  We starved the main bearings for oil and that is why Ron's hands are dirty.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

psychoboy wrote:

Engine here for $400 2.5 liter done 36000 miles if the ad can be belived.
Perryville is not far from your pick up point in Rolla.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ptd/3677220242.html

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

So is the car gonna have an engine in it by Gingerman?  If not, and you have one to put in, I am bringing a 48' tractor trailer and my tools.  Once my cars are thru tech, we can roll it in and swap it.

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

tSoG wrote:

VIN shows this to be a 86, and I believe you about it being an 87 but I can't figure out which fuel pump I need .15 PSI or 40+ psi

15psi, I think - TBI runs with much lower pressure than TPI.

K Car Stalker

ok, so the tank was skanky/nasty dirty (you guys definitely got some bad fuel at MMC, and the fuel pump wouldn't spin either direction, with 12v direct wired to it. so we had a bonfire and recycled some gas, and a few flat spotted tires. Parts here hopefully monday. oil pan NLA.

oh, and I'm 84% sure that the early fuel starvation was mostly because the in tank baffle around the pickup was rattling around the tank, instead of being firmly attached to it.

Did you finish removing the flapper valve from the filler neck? Because that's inviting the next fuel starvation incident.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

The ASS of PMS has all the answers.

This space for rent.

With all the fuel-system "upgrades," be sure there is an effective (and non-leaky) tank vent system. 80s Detroit fuel-injected cars tend to leak fuel past the cap due to pressure in the tank caused by a malfunctioning vent setup. I hate busting cars for fuel leaks, and I would really hate to bust this car.

the stock vent system seemed to be working acceptably, so I'll be leaving it as such. if it ain't broke, don't fuck it up. right?

The fuel vent systems of 80s Detroit cars have an exceptionally high failure rate in Lemons races. I don't think I've ever seen a race that didn't have at least one fuel leak caused by a Detroit car's pressurized tank squeezing fuel past the filler cap, and it's a real epidemic in the Midwest events. The problem gets a lot worse when the weather gets warm, which means the real test probably won't come until the first race in real spring weather.

A trip to the junkyard today scored an oil pan and a spare 2.2 5 bolt engine less the accessories. Hope we don't need more than one.

cabinboy wrote:

A trip to the junkyard today scored an oil pan and a spare 2.2 5 bolt engine less the accessories. Hope we don't need more than one.

smile  Make us Proud!

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:
cabinboy wrote:

smile  Make us Proud!

...just make us not regret starting this project.  That would be a win in and of itself.  Break a leg!!!!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

You know what would be really cool? Recreating NSF's red-white-and-blue paint job in glitter and sequins! Just get some spray glue, buy a few pounds of cheap glitter, and make it into an Iacocca-meets-Liberace classic!

Speaking of fuel vents, you might want to reconstruct the factory evap system. I know I kicked it out with a hammer, but it's probably not the brightest idea on my part - if I'd have the time I'd hook it back up the way it was. Otherwise the tank vents straight to the atmosphere through that little plastic vent line.

K Car Stalker

Please tell me it's turning laps right now o_O

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Please tell me it's turning laps right now o_O

Racemonitor shows its turning laps.

52nd place overall and 63 laps behind first.

101 total laps complete.

3rd in C class.