Topic: Shoulder Belts Installation?

Would love to see your pics.  I'm ashamed to admit that it's one area I didn't inspect much when driving for other teams.  I guess I figured if they felt safe with the harness, then I should, too.

Now I'm building my own car and am debating between threading around the harness bar (with retainer to keep them from slipping) or welding tabs and bolting hardware to the harness bar.  In my dirt car, the manufacturer used the V-belt method.  But I know that's not legal in Lemons.

Do any of you have some pics handy of your 2012 - 2013 tech-approved shoulder harness mounts?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Re: Shoulder Belts Installation?

I thought i remembered something about belts needing to not be able to slide side to side, but re-reading the rules i can't find it. Am i missing it?

Our belts are just wrapped around the harness bar. Passed tech twice in 2012 that way.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

We just wrapped them. They are tight enough that the side to side has never been questioned at tech

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

TheEngineer wrote:

I thought i remembered something about belts needing to not be able to slide side to side, but re-reading the rules i can't find it. Am i missing it?

The need for essentially no side-to-side movement arises from a combination of this part of rule 3.5:  "When viewed from above, shoulder harnesses should be closer at their mounting points than at their seat-entry points" and this part of subsection 3.5.3:  "All sliders should be snugged up to their mounting plates or harness bars as much as possible."

Page 15 of the "How Not to Fail the Safety Inspection" guide is a bit out of date on this point, as it says that the belts "must go straight back or angle in toward center" but the current ruling is that "straight back" is not sufficient, as "should be closer" is now interpreted as "must be closer."  Our belts wrap around the harness bar and are prevented from sliding outwards by some adjacent rollbar padding zip-tied in place; this arrangement passed tech last season.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

3.5.3:  "All sliders should be snugged up to their mounting plates or harness bars as much as possible."

I always took this to mean that all the slack should be removed from the bit wrapped around the harness bar or mounting tabs/plates. Meaning you shouldn't have a 10" loop allowing the buckle to dangle away from the mounting point.

or because i suck at descriptions, you want it likes this (with a longer tail):
http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Images/lg/DSC_2784_HarnessMounting4C.jpg

not like this
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album688/seat_harness.sized.jpg

The only reason I think it would be smart to leave them exactly the same distance as exit from the seat is you are then leaving the least possible slack in the belts. In an accident you're not allowing extra slack if the mounting points happen to slide out (your belt restraints fail) and introduce more slack for you to move around with.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I always took this to mean that all the slack should be removed from the bit wrapped around the harness bar or mounting tabs/plates.

That's how I take it, too.  My point is simply that by the time one has complied with the spacing requirement of 3.5, combined with 3.5.3, the result is effectively no side-to-side motion, even though there's nothing in the rules explicitly forbidding side-to-side motion.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Tabs are good if you plan on removing the belts often as you do on a dirt car every Sunday to wash it. Other than that can't see any advantage.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

TheEngineer wrote:

not like this
The only reason I think it would be smart to leave them exactly the same distance as exit from the seat is you are then leaving the least possible slack in the belts. In an accident you're not allowing extra slack if the mounting points happen to slide out (your belt restraints fail) and introduce more slack for you to move around with.

If one has a curved harness bar like this (we do), it's conceivable for the outboard belt's loop point to move forward and introduce slack. Therefore you need to put some kind of clamp on there to prevent that. We have a fancy clamp like this on the Neon (thanks, Kent!) but did the cheaper muffler-clamp-around-padding-scrap on another car.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I don't have a pic of it, but we bought 2 of these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=lyts6o

One on each side of the shoulder belts, done.  They ship super fast too.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

TheEngineer wrote:

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Images/lg/DSC_2784_HarnessMounting4C.jpg

All three of these should fail tech because the tail needs to be 100mm (4") long. During an impact, the buckle will slide back to the mounting point and slack will pull through the buckle. With a mere fraction of an inch, the webbing is at risk of sliding through the 3-bar buckle.

TheEngineer wrote:

Yes, there are many problems here. First, the 3-bar buckles are not doubled-back. They are as good as not attached. Second, there is about 6" of slack between the buckle and the mounting point. After an impact, the 3-bar buckle will be at the harness bar, giving you an additional 12" of slack. You are now dead. Third the seat is too far from the bar. A seat brace is needed if this were a race car. Fourth the harnesses are not restrained from side-to-side motion, and as noted the outboard one is at risk for sliding around the curved end of the harness bar. Fifth, without dimensions, it appears from the picture that the shoulders harnesses should be anchored right next to each other. Much farther back and they should be crossed, at least if a HANS is to be used.

See page 18 for HANS; page 28 for no HANS. Note that  for the HANS calculation, "X" is measured from your shoulders, not the seat back:
http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009 … ctions.pdf

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Okay.  Thanks for all the information.  I never remove my belts from the dirt car.  smile  (Not till it's time to replace, anyway.)

I guess I'll go for wrapping around the harness bar with a pair or two of those Turner Motorsports racing seat belt harness retaining guides.

I don't skimp on safety.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)

Brett85p wrote:

Tabs are good if you plan on removing the belts often as you do on a dirt car every Sunday to wash it. Other than that can't see any advantage.

We had welded tabs on our harness bar (professionally done). Evil John mentioned that the wrap around the harness bar style was preferable to the welded tabs, although we passed tech by him with no issues.

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

13 (edited by TheEngineer 2013-03-21 04:52 AM)

EvergreenDan wrote:

All three of these should fail tech because the tail needs to be 100mm (4") long. During an impact, the buckle will slide back to the mounting point and slack will pull through the buckle. With a mere fraction of an inch, the webbing is at risk of sliding through the 3-bar buckle.

Yes, there are many problems here. First, the 3-bar buckles are not doubled-back. They are as good as not attached. Second, there is about 6" of slack between the buckle and the mounting point. After an impact, the 3-bar buckle will be at the harness bar, giving you an additional 12" of slack. You are now dead. Third the seat is too far from the bar. A seat brace is needed if this were a race car. Fourth the harnesses are not restrained from side-to-side motion, and as noted the outboard one is at risk for sliding around the curved end of the harness bar. Fifth, without dimensions, it appears from the picture that the shoulders harnesses should be anchored right next to each other. Much farther back and they should be crossed, at least if a HANS is to be used.

See page 18 for HANS; page 28 for no HANS. Note that  for the HANS calculation, "X" is measured from your shoulders, not the seat back:
http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009 … ctions.pdf

I was using those to illustrate slack between buckle and harness bar only. Can only do so much with a google image search. I did mention that the first picture needed longer tails on each. And the second picture was the only one i found quickly with a ton of slack. It is a beautiful picture of what not to do in general though. I believe I did caption that picture "Not like this".

Edit: The turner motorsport pieces are the exact same thing as RougeLeader posted from mcmaster, just with a 100% markup.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

We wrapped our belts around the harness bar, and they always stayed where they needed to be. We didn't use any rollbar padding to hold them from sliding out, but that does sound like the easiest and cheapest idea. We might implement that next time just to be on the safe side.

TheEngineer wrote:

Edit: The turner motorsport pieces are the exact same thing as RougeLeader posted from mcmaster, just with a 100% markup.

And McMaster is just down the street from my house so it gives us an excuse to get together.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

@TheEngnieer -- Yes, we're on the same page. Sorry -- I didn't at all mean to imply that you hadn't noticed these things. I was just reinforcing and elaborating on your points.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

cabinboy wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

And McMaster is just down the street from my house so it gives us an excuse to get together.

For some reason the McMaster link didn't work for me at the time.  I was just sent to the main McMaster-Carr home page.  Today it loaded correctly.

Looks like I need to make a trip to the suburbs!  (Departing from 'the sticks'.)