Topic: Sunbeam + Ford 5.0 + T5???

Yay or Nay?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: Sunbeam + Ford 5.0 + T5???

Doable, yes
Under budget, possible
Believable by other teams, probably not

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

It would be very interesting.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The 5.0 was out of an Explorer for a core charge ($150)... the trans is from an old mustang I traded a GM 7.5" diff for ($100) and the sunbeam will be from pair of two. The Parts car is BARELY a car and is $200.

So IF... big IF... we do this it will be $450 to get it running. Keeping it cool will be hard with the remainder of the budget. But we are not sure how much we can get from the parts we can sell.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Do it do it do it. Perfect for this race. Don't even know why you'd wait.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

that sounds sweet. it would sound even sweeter running too!

Riktor wrote:

The 5.0 was out of an Explorer for a core charge ($150)... the trans is from an old mustang I traded a GM 7.5" diff for ($100) and the sunbeam will be from pair of two. The Parts car is BARELY a car and is $200.

So IF... big IF... we do this it will be $450 to get it running. Keeping it cool will be hard with the remainder of the budget. But we are not sure how much we can get from the parts we can sell.

You're gonna need a driveshaft too.  I'm looking at the same deal with a 240Z.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
Riktor wrote:

You're gonna need a driveshaft too.  I'm looking at the same deal with a 240Z.

We can hodge podge a GM shaft to work with it...

Sons of STIG

DO IT MAN!!  I looked into that Tiger again and the old man moved it into his garage..I think he thinks I'm gonna steal it after being told no so many times.

A Lemons Tiger...or Alger as the case may be, thats prefect.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

I believe that you can get a 302, T5 and beater Alpine for under $500. Will your competitors believe it? That's between you and them!

Do it! Just don't die 'n' stuff.

If you want to go underpowered, I've got a really wrecked 4AG that I could let you have for a song... smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

If you want to go underpowered, I've got a really wrecked 4AG that I could let you have for a song... smile

No, because then the car would be capable of getting around the track in a reasonably sane manner. Got to be a V8! V8z RULLLZZZ!!!1!!!

MurileeMartin wrote:
Mulry wrote:

No, because then the car would be capable of getting around the track in a reasonably sane manner. Got to be a V8! V8z RULLLZZZ!!!1!!!

That and I have the Ford 5.0 sitting around... big_smile

We actually have have some crazy ass plant o splice three vehicles into one for even more lemony fun.

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
Mulry wrote:

We actually have have some crazy ass plant o splice three vehicles into one for even more lemony fun.

Don't you know 5.0's fall from heaven, I mean the back of trucks.  Just ask Jonny and Phil.

My V8 plans involve multiple cars.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
Riktor wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Don't you know 5.0's fall from heaven, I mean the back of trucks.  Just ask Jonny and Phil.

My V8 plans involve multiple cars.

As long as the blocks don't split right?!

Sons of STIG

I'm still hoping someone Frankenstiens together a Lemons-style TVR. roadster body (prefer british makes) with a huge american I/L6 out of a truck.

Riktor wrote:

A buddy of mine owned a Tiger and a few alpines.  One of the tricks to keeping them cool involved keeping the trailing edge of the hood raised a few inches to allow better airflow.  He used to just wedge a crushed soda can in there and close the hood to the first latch.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Make sure you can change the plugs! As I recall you go through a plug in the toeboard with a universal and a couple of extensions for at least one, on a 289 Tiger at least,,

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

If you build a working shoe phone for the theme, that'll really stick the landing!

JThw8 wrote:
Riktor wrote:

A buddy of mine owned a Tiger and a few alpines.  One of the tricks to keeping them cool involved keeping the trailing edge of the hood raised a few inches to allow better airflow.  He used to just wedge a crushed soda can in there and close the hood to the first latch.

Cowl induction... We were thinking of using the whole epoxy impregnated cardboard for body panels. I know some Sunbeam enthusiasts would shit if they say good sheet metal destroyed.

Besides... We can't make wild a idioticly obscene flares with stock metal only.

jimeditorial wrote:

Make sure you can change the plugs! As I recall you go through a plug in the toeboard with a universal and a couple of extensions for at least one, on a 289 Tiger at least,,

Removable body panels with zeus fastners... we have plenty lying around.

Sons of STIG

22 (edited by Armand4 2009-11-15 07:20 PM)

As the owner of a stock Alpine, I'd say it's doable, but that it will be difficult.  The Alpine's steering box gets in the way with V8s, which is why Tigers use rack-and-pinion steering that gives them terrible steering geometry.  This, rather than the size of the engine bay itself, will be the biggest obstacle in putting a v8 in.  Besides just swapping the motor, you'll need to devise a whole new way of getting the front wheels to steer.  If you're going that far, you might as well cut the firewall and move it back a little bit, both to get some extra room and to keep the car from being a nose-heavy pig like stock Tigers.  Also, the transmission tunnel is a bit narrow for a T5, but you can widen it without too much work.  Still, an Alger on a $500 budget seems entirely doable for someone with good fabrication and engineering skills.

Even if the Small-Block Ford was put into the Alpine's bodyshell at the factory back in the day, it's far from the easiest motor to shoehorn under the hood.  A Ford 2.8 v6 is a popular conversion now, as the wonky exhaust port arrangement allows the headers to clear the stock steering box.  It should be even easier to use a more powerful four-cylinder motor.

Whatever you do, you should probably go to sunbeamalpine.org and check out the Alpine club's website.  You'll probably be able to get a lot of technical help--we're surprisingly tolerant of crazy hack-jobs on old Alpines.  Good luck!

Armand4 wrote:

As the owner of a stock Alpine, I'd say it's doable, but that it will be difficult.  The Alpine's steering box gets in the way with V8s, which is why Tigers use rack-and-pinion steering that gives them terrible steering geometry.  This, rather than the size of the engine bay itself, will be the biggest obstacle in putting a v8 in.  Besides just swapping the motor, you'll need to devise a whole new way of getting the front wheels to steer.  If you're going that far, you might as well cut the firewall and move it back a little bit, both to get some extra room and to keep the car from being a nose-heavy pig like stock Tigers.  Also, the transmission tunnel is a bit narrow for a T5, but you can widen it without too much work.  Still, an Alger on a $500 budget seems entirely doable for someone with good fabrication and engineering skills.

Even if the Small-Block Ford was put into the Alpine's bodyshell at the factory back in the day, it's far from the easiest motor to shoehorn under the hood.  A Ford 2.8 v6 is a popular conversion now, as the wonky exhaust port arrangement allows the headers to clear the stock steering box.  It should be even easier to use a more powerful four-cylinder motor.

Whatever you do, you should probably go to sunbeamalpine.org and check out the Alpine club's website.  You'll probably be able to get a lot of technical help--we're surprisingly tolerant of crazy hack-jobs on old Alpines.  Good luck!

Well... this is pending a move to another house and shop. IF we do this every problem you have pointed out will be sorted out with our original plan. The car (minus factory sheetmetal) will be quartered and spread to fit the Corvette frame we have. Then we'll use sheetmetal and our crazy composites to make it look like a fat/long sunbeam. Yes,,,, the plan is FLAWLESS!!!

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:

Well... this is pending a move to another house and shop. IF we do this every problem you have pointed out will be sorted out with our original plan. The car (minus factory sheetmetal) will be quartered and spread to fit the Corvette frame we have. Then we'll use sheetmetal and our crazy composites to make it look like a fat/long sunbeam. Yes,,,, the plan is FLAWLESS!!!

Believe it or not, that sounds less complicated to me than just shoehorning a V8 into an Alpine.  You'll get to use all the Corvette suspension, steering, etc, without doing quite as much re-engineering.  It should be faster than a normal Tiger, too-- and a whole lot more awesome!  I still think you should put build photos on the Alpine Club website-- some people might get a kick out of it.

By the way, I apologize if I came off as kind of a buzzkill in my earlier post.  I just didn't want someone to think that a V8 drops right in to an Alpine without some major changes.  Good luck!

Riktor wrote:

The car (minus factory sheetmetal) will be quartered and spread to fit the Corvette frame we have. Then we'll use sheetmetal and our crazy composites to make it look like a fat/long sunbeam. Yes,,,, the plan is FLAWLESS!!!

You know how Smokey Yunick made a 7:8 scale Chevelle? This plan is just like that, only it's more like an 8:5 scale Tiger. Do it!