Topic: Arrive and Drives: a new discussion

I know this has been discussed before, it came back up in the HR section.  I think it deserves it's own, new discussion.

Main Concerns:

1. How many cars per team?

2. Cost: what's fair

3. Cost: what should you get?

4. What should be expected from team members?

How Many Cars Per Team:

This is a more recent issue/concern.  The basic issue, is it fair to other teams trying to get into the race to have a team enter multiple cars even if they are not full? 

Example: Team Established LeMon enters two cars while they only have 4 drivers for their first car.  Team Clueless Lemons Wannabe wants to enter one car.  They are both competing for the same spot so is it fair.

Is entering a car without a team any different than a new team entering without a car?

I had asked Jay about a LeMon lease plan which was basically renting out a car to a team which is like an arrive and drive.  Jay has no problem with it. 

I have also asked about entering races outside of our primary market, like New Orleans.  I didn't want to stop new teams from getting to race.  Jay's comment, let them worry about that, enter where you want.  To me that's word from above, enter what you want, they'll sort out the rest.

I am considering added a car or more to bring new guys in as well.  The plans for that car are to keep it simple and as reliable as possible which should keep the cost down.  Make it an easier car for beginners than the Z.

Cost: what's fair

Of course all the Newbies and Arrive and Drive guys see $500 race car and think this should be cheap.  That's what I thought until we finally got to race day. 

Getting the car ready for our first race without spares or entry fees was about $3900.  With a spare set of tires and brake pads, we were about $4600.  At the time we may have looked more prepared than a lot of teams but we are not all that unusual now.

We started working on the car in February for an October race and barely made it.  We spent a long time and new teams should keep that in mind.  Time is your friend.  With the much larger 2010 schedule I think there should be more room for new teams.  An additional note to new teams, try entering newer events with a less established crowd.

I have struggled with Pricing.  After a few races, $500 is looking a bit cheap to me, it depends on the car and size of the team.

The 240Z is fast which is cool but it's old and it's reliability isn't where I'd like it to be mostly cause it's old and fast.  Our pursuit for speed costs us in added tire wear due to camber.  I also think going fast gets us in the penalty box too.  It looks like I will need to be buying tires again soon at another $800 without mounting or balancing.  At a minimum, the head gasket is leaking too.  Cha ching, cha ching.

Since the first race, comfort and convenience items have been added: cool suit system, better seats x2 and camlocks x2, lap timer and radios.  We have a passenger seat for instruction and rides.  That cost a few hundred dollars too.

During the initial build, I asked for $50 each for the car from team members and they buy the wear items: tires and brake pads.  I carried most of the financial load of the car since it belonged to me.  Since then, I try to spend as little of my money as possible in an attempt to recoup some of the initial investment.  The recouping on the initial investment plan isn't working out.

With the increased 2010 Schedule, keeping a consistent team is going to be very difficult.  The time and money commitments are obviously multiplied.  So while I don't want to put myself in the hole, I don't want to do the same to my team mates either.

Cost: What should you get for your $$$:

For the most recent events, I have asked for $500 for a driving spot and that's about all you get.  I do pay the camping fee.  Driver's need to cover their own license fees.  Test & Tune is extra and split between those participating.  Each driver needs to provide their own gas.  Another team member had been kind enough to feed us at the last two races.  Sounds great up front.

At the track, all this becomes a blur.  People owe for Test & Tune but then one guy goes and buys a bunch of gas.  Then someone else buys another round of gas.  Then the car breaks and we have 20 gallons of unused gas.

From my perspective, my obligation is to provide a functioning car ready for the race once we put it on the track.  I will try and keep the car going from there on but once it hits the track, I have fulfilled my obligation.  Then we run into a hard to resolve over heating problem.  Well, this is Lemons and there are no guarantees in any racing, let alone Lemons.  There are no guarantees once the car has hit the track either and that is usually during the Test & Tune.

No guarantees or not, I want guys to be able to drive the car the whole weekend and have a good time.  That has only happened 2 out of 4 times.  Everyone has had a good time every race but we have not been 100% functional for the whole event every time.

There could always be an accident too.  So where do you draw the line?  When is it enough?  If everyone gets to drive should that be good enough?

What should be expected from team members?

No potential team member will ever tell you they can't drive and yet could probably drive as well with their helmet on backwards, nor should they be left alone with a screw driver.

They are all competent drivers who can turn a wrench and want to help with the car and get the WHOLE Lemons experience.

When you are working on the car almost alone, where's the team.  Where are they when you are loading or unloading?  Who's there helping clean-up the loads of crap you have scattered around the paddock over your weekend pilgrimage to BFE.

Where are their Mario Andretti like driving skills when we are talking to Jonny and Phil?  It doesn't matter how good the car is in the penalty box.  I don't think you can overcome a penalty at this point.  At least is real freakin' hard in a 100+ car field.

While I feel badly when the car does not perform to my expectations, it tends to perform long enough to make it's way to the penalty box.  After that, I care much less.  Our chance of winning is basically gone, sorry to the other guys who have not had a chance to screw up yet but it ain't my fault.

No one I have raced with has ever complained about the cars performance or not having a good time or anything.  However, the car is fast and it would be nice to see it place higher.  So I would really like a whole team of genuine good drivers.

I am having a hard time maintaining any train of thought at this point so I'm done.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Re: Arrive and Drives: a new discussion

My problem with anybody but me driving was the cage and accidents: Adding people to the team who are simply acquaintances would make me even more nervous.

1) if paid driver #1 wads the car up in turn 2, what happens to the money from the other folks? and who pays for the car?

2) if said driver is also wadded up and med-evac'd to a hospital and has debilitating injuries, what would be my liability having designed the cage and oversaw(sp?) the car's construction (even though the cage conforms 100% to current FIA regulations)? 

I was paranoid about someone suffering an injury and STILL am since our mini is now a "club car" and anyone from the club (no dues, no paperwork, no officers --nothing formal "club") can use it. I'm not the car's owner, but I did captain the car's build.

Spank,

Liability is an additional concern which is very legitimate.  I have considered forming a corporation which some teams have done.  This helps with liability but I don't know that it eliminates it, particularly if you built the cage.  It also costs more money.

Forming a corporation would help with the liability as well as the money aspect.  Since much of these things happen via PayPal.  There is a paper trail.  With the prospect of 5+ events and possibly more than one car, that easily starts getting over $10,000.  The IRS might start having questions too.

Regarding who pays for the car, that's hard too.  I have heard about track insurance for DEs but I don't know if they cover racing.  This gets into car values which are way more than $500 or even the $1500 Chump assigns for Claiming.  The time that is in these cars is never reflected in the cost during the inspections but is worth a LOT.

These are additional areas of concern which have also been discussed, I the post was called something like The order of formulation of a team.  It can be discussed here too.

Feel free to discuss whatever you want regarding all these issues.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

A wise man once told me:  "don't take anything to the race track that you can't afford to leave there."  This is why we race a neon instead of something more exotic, wierd or cool.  The shell is disposable, and the cage is a bolt-in with an extra driver's door bar welded in.  If the car gets crashed, it's likely that most of the parts could be re-used.  That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

So far, my team is on only its 2nd Lemons.  We have had arrive-and-drive guys in both events.  Our standard so far is that the arrive-and-driver must be known by at least one local team member, and known to be a decent driver in prior track events.  The car was built by myself and a couple other locals, and it is made clear to the arrive-and-drivers that they do not have any ownership stake in the car.  The arrive-and-drivers have to pay their share of the costs to enter and campaign the car for the weekend.

Is it fair that I put a lot of time and money into the car, but others need only show up on race weekend?  No, but if I want to race that's how it has to be.  I'd rather have guys that I know, and whose capabilities and demeanor I know, fly in or drive in and race with us than have just any local yahoo who might clumsily help build the car.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

Arrive and drive- $700-1000 for each driver. 4 drivers.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

If liability protection is your main concern from an owner's perspective, one thing you might want to consider is the kind of corporate shell approach that a lot of real estate developers take. You'd want to talk to your own lawyer about this, but the basic idea is to form a general corp (LLC, usually) and then form a separate limited partnership (LP) for each particular car. Doing so will involve some legal expense what with the entity formation and getting all the bylaws straight, but if done right, it could shield you individually from liability and focus all the liability in the corporations. You would need to get some pretty iron-clad disclaimers from all your ride-buyers, too, in addition to some other stuff. And you have to make sure that you don't fall afoul of the alter-ego laws, too, which can make it tricky for such low-budget stuff as Lemons. Getting a corp form involved would also make it easier to secure insurance, although it probably wouldn't be cheap since this is an inherently dangerous line of activity.

Also, you'll probably need to farm out a ton of work so that you don't re-insert yourself into the chain of liability. If the cage fails, for example, then Bob's Cage Installers would be on the hook instead of you as a DIY builder of the car. Again, this may not be practical for a low-budget series. In fact, it's probably taking it way too seriously. I can't believe you roped me into this discussion, on a Sunday morning no less. As countless millions have doubtlessly said before me, damn you Troy! smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

While Liability is a concern, that was not was I was getting at in the beginning.

In a post in the HR section, someone questioned whether is was fair to enter a car in which you do not have a team for and potentially preventing another team from getting in. 

Here's the link: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=2103

So I brought over here, and I question whether enter a car without a team is much different than a team entering without a car.

The first response got into liability and off we have gone.  Liability is a beast within itself.  Whether it's an arrive and drive or group build.  Simply, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

We can continue discussing the liability but what do you guys thing about the initial questions:

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Point 2 is sort of related to liability....up here for example, if you share the costs of a cross country trip, the driver's insurance is OK...if you take cash that's more than the shared expenses, you're a taxi and need that kind of insurance...seems to me that if your pay driver is just covering his/her share of the expenses, the car owner isn't running a money-making enterprise, just sharing expenses..then what's fair is simply running costs divided by the number of drivers....Car owners should share the cost of car prep...if they're also the drivers, you're go to go.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

9 (edited by bongle 2009-11-09 09:32 AM)

As far as the fairness discussion goes, I'm kinda torn.

When I say "guys you displaced", assume I mean some amateur first-timers trying to get into their first event and for whom Lemons or Chump is pretty much their only way to race.  If we're not talking about you displacing those guys, then I think it's totally fair to enter as many cars as you want.

For the "You can enter as many cars as you want" argument:  If your themes or vehicles are interesting enough to make it in, then tough luck to the guys you displaced.  They should have worked a bit harder on their entry, and the atmosphere at the race will be better off for it.

For the "You're being jerks" argument: The guys you displaced might have been overwhelmed by all the mechanical work they have to do just to get the car safe and working, and so their theming and vehicle selection suffered for no fault of their own.  Even with a lesser theme, they'd probably be more enthusiastic at the track than your arrive-and-drives, since your A&Ds sacrificed much less blood, sweat, and tears to make it to the race.

For the "It doesn't matter" argument: There are so many races across the country next year that anyone who wants to race their $500 car will be able to.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

1) A team should bring as many cars as they can build and get accepted.  Don't worry about others not getting a slot.  You are providing opportunities for drivers.  If someone doesn’t get in they need to improve their theme and application.
2) Charge what it cost for your team to run the car.  Our cost has been in the $350-450 per person for 4-6 drivers.  Everything we run is low budget.  Cheap seat.  No cool suits, radios, timers….
3) What you get depends on your team.  We have given everyone on the team equal seat time, but if they end up with a penalty they forfeit their remaining shift and it gets split up amongst the other drivers (If their penalty infringes on the next driver’s time they have time deducted from their next shift).  Our guys take care of their own food.  Camping fees or hotel is at your own discretion.  We put up a couple ez-up awnings, nothing more.  I’ve seen some teams advertise food and a bed in a motor home.  Do what works for you.
4) I think team members should be expected to work on the car, share duties spotting (or manning the radio), be ready to drive and any other errands needed to keep the car going.

Not too complicated.  I might develop a basic release form that explains this is dangerous and that there are no guarantees of seat time.

Not all who wander are lost.

Flip side, so I bought a car in October, gonna spend 7 months prepping it for its first race with a bunch of friends and family.  I don't get accepted to that event, because one or more spots have been taken by a car owner who's entered multiple cars and has no drivers lined up but is going to sell off those spots to six guys who have put no effort into getting the car ready.  That'd suck pretty hard for me and my friends who put out the effort from the beginning.

Of course, I put my fate in the hands of Jay and the Judges.  If they look at the applications and see that even after all our sweat, the PEOPLE aren't as cool as the rental teams CAR, then we really blew the application and better start over anyways.

I got started as a renter, because a team of guys I know 1000 miles away needed some more drivers to help divide the cost.  From that distance I couldn't help on the car other than offer input and cash.  So I have first hand experience at how rental rides can help build additional teams down the road.

I was the one who brought it up in the other thread, and I don't recall calling them all jerks.

Anyway I do agree with what they said as it being a good way for people who can't build a car, get a full team or tow the vehicle cross country.  (I seriously doubt that the new england cars will ever race the california cars).

However if every team starts entering 2 or more cars to rent you quickly cut down the number of teams that can build a car.  It has been stated that former entrants that have shown they are within the spirit of the race get in before new people.  So basically Troy's cars will get in before new guys car.  I'm sure if Troy entered 100 cars and took up all the spots it wouldn't fly.  (although it would be interesting to have the teams randomly assigned at the day of the track to random cars).

I'm sure there is some nice balance so its fair to everyone though.

As for cost, it should be enough to cover everything to make the car run, some compensation for the work you put in to do that and probably something extra so you can pay for future repairs or the replacement car when someone rams it into a wall.

You have to make sure the car will pass inspections without a hitch (no tech problems and bs with 0 laps because I would be pretty mad to pay money to rent the car and start 500 laps in the whole)  That the car be mechanically sound so it has a good shot of running the full race, and relatively competitive (like a mid pack performance car, I would assume if you had a car that you felt would win you'd be driving it)

The team members would show up, split driving duties fairly, and drive within the rules as best as possible.  Being arrive and drive can't expect them to do much in prep work, and you'd assume if the car breaks it would be in their best interest to help the best they can, but I wouldn't expect them to fly from where ever they came from with much in the way of tools, and I doubt they will be fully versed in everything about whatever specific model you have them running in.  So you would have to assist in that and probably furnish the parts for repairs.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

13 (edited by Jer 2009-11-10 06:40 AM)

As many as you can field a full set of drivers for.  At the Schumacher Taxi Service, we've brought up to 3 cars, but we had 15 or more drivers for those cars.  Some races we bring one car or two cars.   I don't see the problem, as long as were full on drivers.

As a car owner, I set up a couple of cars out of my own pocket.  I paid basically most or all the bills, reimbursed expenses, etc.  Other teammates had sweat equity, but I paid for it all.  The idea was I would charge slightly more than the variable costs and get my money back over a few races.  IT DOESN'T HAPPEN.  Each race results in more issues requiring more money and time, and I'll NEVER get paid back.  So from now on, it's open accounting, with all costs, variable and for the car, shared by the team. But the initial money I spent is gone and has to be forgotten.  I'm still the car owner, and the benefit of that is I still get to decide where a car is raced and who is on the team.   And the hulking mess that used to be a race car is mine to part out later I suppose. 

Costs for a race vary on the number of drivers.  4 drivers, expect $750-$1000, 5 drivers, $600-$650, 6 drivers-$500-$600 depending on specifics.  Costs have to include towing, race fuel, car prep, race fees.  personal gear and room/board are individual responsibilities. 

You get to be a part of the team.  There are no guarantees on seat time AT ALL.   Picking the driving order should depend on sweat equity IMHO.  And the car owner obviously has a say.  Arrive and drives should drive last.  They also could justifiably be charged more.  Be picky on who you let drive the car you have 80++ sweat equity hours into.

Their share of the financial burdon and a hand with repairs.  The team member who disappears when the car breaks should be looking for a new team next time around.  if you wreck the car, you should pay for the repairs (if it's your fault).  That won't reimburse the other team member for lost driving time, but it will at least make the car whole again for next time.  Black flags = forfeited track time.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Cars per team say three max, only two cars which are manned are arrive and drives. Any more than that and you will just be playing car owner and host and not get to drive.

Cost depends on how much you spend to put the car together, $3000 to $4000 is my best feel for what you really need to spend.  So:
4 driver $800 to $900
5 driver $650 to $725
6 driver $550 to $625
Now before the whining starts saying that is not enough, you CAN spend way more putting a car together for Lemons but anything beyond $4000 and you are doing a bunch of unnecessary work to improve performance.  Most of those performance mods will do nothing but bite you in the trunk later on.

What should you get if you rent, is a car that if driven without black flags will finish in the top 20%, a car that passes tech without any drama or issues, if it gets hit with BS laps it should be a reasonble ammount that can be overcome by clean driving.  The car is able to finish the race without mechanical issue.  Now before you jump up and say "no that is not reasonable!" hear me out.  A semi-modern crap can from the 80s and up should have the reliability that, if driven with an ounce of mechanical sympathy, can easily cover the distance of any Lemons race.  If the car was reasonably reliable to start with (Z's need not apply) do the basic maintenance (shocks, brakes, clutch, fluids, belts, hoses and a working cooling system) that you would do before a cross country road trip in a crap can and you should be good to go.

Expectations if the car breaks the arrive and drives work to help fix it, because it will break, but the car owner also does everything in his power to get the car fixed.   If the car owner is on track then he needs to come in make a driver change and help get the broken rent car back on track.  Otherwise do not expect any repeat arrive and drive customers, and much internet name calling to follow.  If the rent car failure is terminal then offer to put your arrive and drives in your other team cars so that everyone gets some seat time.

Team Apex Vinyl: 1977 Toyota Truck
Gator-O-Rama 2009 Dangerous Banned Technology
Yee-Haw 2011 Index Of Effluency
Gator-O-Rama 2012 I Got Screwed

I did budget projections for 2010 and unless you have a tow rig already, are eating pop tarts all weekend, and think even a knights inn is an extravagant luxury, then $4000 isn't unreasonable. I made allotments for truck/trailer rental, and costs for 2 hotel rooms for up to five nights, Nothing to do with the car itself. I personally don't mind camping at the track and getting a pile of JTMs to grill while there but half my permanent team has more delicate posteriors so the notion that they'll camp out too with no/limited showers is somewhat outlandish.  I think much of the arrive & drive crowd would be inclined for getting the full experience, but realistic cost ceilings should be established so they don't get caught out and turned off to the whole thing. Make them MORE inclined to field their own entry, not less. I've been running an internet-based team for several events and while attitude is among the top factors, it seems like some of those guys, once at the track are of the mentality of "i paid the fees you told me, I'm not ponying up anything else"  which sucks in a pinch where you have to run to the local junkyard at 4:30 saturday for a control arm, or do fuel runs.

Couldn't you set aside a $100/driver contingency fund to cover unexpected stuff like that?  Or say "ok, the car is currently not running.  anyone who wants to keep driving is free to throw in $30 so we can go get parts to fix it, anyone who does not want to keep driving doesn't have to."

cc 76 wrote:

Cars per team say three max, only two cars which are manned are arrive and drives. Any more than that and you will just be playing car owner and host and not get to drive.

Wait-so if we have 15 drivers, we only get 2 cars max?  How is that fair?  Why can't all fifteen drivers have an equal shot at racing?  Now, if you are talking about registering cars that don't have enough drivers, then I agree.  Otherwise I guess we disband and apply separately, but it doesn't really change anything.  See my point?  What if we have 25 drivers, people who want to race like you and your teammates.  Are we still artificially limited to two teams?  Thats retarded.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

18 (edited by cc 76 2009-11-10 04:34 PM)

Jer wrote:
cc 76 wrote:

Wait-so if we have 15 drivers, we only get 2 cars max?  How is that fair?  Why can't all fifteen drivers have an equal shot at racing?  Now, if you are talking about registering cars that don't have enough drivers, then I agree.  Otherwise I guess we disband and apply separately, but it doesn't really change anything.  See my point?  What if we have 25 drivers, people who want to race like you and your teammates.  Are we still artificially limited to two teams?  Thats retarded.

No I said:
"Cars per team say three max, only two cars which are manned are arrive and drives.  Any more than that and you will just be playing car owner and host and not get to drive"

I believe that if you try to manage more than two cars full of arrive and drives, you will not have time to drive your own entry.  I am considering his question as what can one person do alone.  I guess for the slow I should have made that more clear.  I am not trying to making up rules for Jay.  He has already ruled.

I do not give a flip about how many people and teams you pull together.  50 people and 5 cars, bring them, the more the better.  I do not think it would make for a fun event to manage 50 arrive and drivers and 5 other cars.  That is all.

Each car applies separately already, so no, I have no idea what your point is.

Seriously Jer calling someone or something retarded over Lemons?  Go Club Race.

Team Apex Vinyl: 1977 Toyota Truck
Gator-O-Rama 2009 Dangerous Banned Technology
Yee-Haw 2011 Index Of Effluency
Gator-O-Rama 2012 I Got Screwed

sorry about that.  I didn't understand what you were sayin, apparently.

Each of the three events the Gnome has run has had a team mate fail to get a great stint due to one thing or another.  It's ok because we basically keep the same group of drivers on the team so what goes around comes around and everyone has had good stints too.  At Reno everyone got some great seat time.  At Buttonwillow, not so much.

The big issue with arrive and drive is that Lemons cars are too crappy to be sure to last the whole race even if they don't crash.  Having people who have no stake in the team or car pay to drive is a bit risky because there is a chance the car will go tits up before they get to drive.  Refunds?  I don't think so.  Charging a driver for damage is also a bit tough.  Establishing fault in a race environment is not really easy.  If the Gnome gets piled, or poops it's engine, we will have to work together to fix it.  Once you are charging arrive and drivers, you can't really expect them to bust knuckles on a car that's not theirs, particularly if you are billing them for what they broke.  We just ridicule a driver when he breaks the car and leave it at that.

I think that running a team for arrive and drivers is not really viable when the equipment is not new and professionally maintained.  Lemons is best raced by teams made up of friends who throw their resources together and have a good time.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

If our car survives to race another day, the cost will drop quite a bit as the car may only need fuel for the second race.

That's the plan, anyway.
We'd like to run the next four in Cal/Nev.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

The biggest reason I want to build several cars is to help match the cars with the driver's abilities.

Yes folks, some Lemons drivers are better than others and some cars are better than others.

the top finishing cars are not usually the fast ones.  Sometimes they break but most of the time, they get penalties. 

Schwing, who won the first Houston race does make fast lap times in their FX-16 and they are good drivers.  I still find it hard to believe that car is that fast but it does make good lap times.  They drive it well and stay out of trouble.

As we are going to full course races without chicanes, I think the better cars with better drivers are going to start to stand out more.  Four cylinder Mustangs will be easier and more forgiving to drive, especially for beginners.  However, a well driven V8 Mustang will blow it's door off.

My 240Z turned out way faster and more competitive than expected.  It was a build among a group of friends, complete with drama.  I got to foot a large portion of the bill too since I did legally own the car.  Our team is quite different from the beginning for various reasons.  So now I fill empty seats with more or less arrive and drives.

I'd like to see the 240Z driven by a full team of truly good drivers.

For my friends and family that want to come race too, I want to put together fun but less aggressive car for them.  A car that is less likely to get away from them so easily, stress reliability. 

Besides, when they get in trouble, they can enjoy Lemons justice on their own too.  I don't expect to get 6 more friends together to fill a beginner car, maybe a few.  Throw in a few more and you've got a team.  As a more experienced group, we can help them and maybe teach them.

I have a first gen Celica I want to set up for this.  I think I am going to leave the automatic and throw on a big cooler.  Give it a little camber but nothing excessive.  Good tires but maybe a longer lasting tire. 

After that, I was thinking some intermediate cars.  Maybe an additional advanced car.  I'm working on various crazy ideas. 

Aside from this issue, I think many Arrive and Drive guys have a feeling of entitlement.  Well, for the amount of time, effort and money that's in my car, I am starting to think $500 ain't enough.  If most guys are just going to show up, and driver with very little other contributions, I think they need to pay more. 

Maybe I should start fining guys for penalties and charging for repairs too.  I am not going that far but I think $500 is a fair price to drive a car.  Maybe it will even be a good one. 

This is racing and there are no guarantees.  At the Crap Can level, you are pushing the odds and for a long time.  There's a good chance the car will break.

Regarding who's fault it is if the car gets wrecked on the track, read the Speed Sport Life article about racing.  It's the guy in the driver's seats fault, no matter what.

Well, I am getting to tires to respond coherently.
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/03/2 … an-racing/

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

What if you charged your arrive and drive people by the  half-hour or "session"? I know as an owner you would have more at risk, but it would really suck to pay someone $500+ and the first guy out wrecks the car or catastophic failure occurs?  The driver would pay for the full hour even if he/she gets on the track and only makes one lap...

Why should arrive-and-drive folks get a better deal than those that busted their knuckles and had oil dribbling down their arms for week after week?

Charge them a fair price (their share of consumables, fees, prep costs, food, and minor repair costs from the last race), plus maybe a small premium of some sort for not having any risk if the car is destroyed. Treat them like regular team members. They get good and bad luck just like everyone else. They help just like everyone else. It's a team, and working together in a shared struggle is part of the fun.

An all arrive-and-drive team would not have the same experience as a team that has shared car prep. I would hope that race acceptance would favor  driver-owner teams in heavily oversubscribed events.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Troy wrote:

I'd like to see the 240Z driven by a full team of truly good drivers.
/

Me too.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...