Re: Arrive and Drives: a new discussion

Worst. Thread. Ever.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

as much as this is a plausible idea.....it does defeat the "spirit" of Lemons......since building the car as a team is a large part of the "fun"....

So whats more fun....racing an existing Lemons car you already have...or building a new crazy project???.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

As a club driver for years and just now delving into the World of Lemons...the costs to prepare a car pretty much mirror any "real" event...sans parts (not saying Lemons isn't a real event!).  And then you need to add a good theme to the deal.  The way I see it is that the "Arrive and Drive" people are essentially renting a killer halloween costume to win the contest instead of thinking it up on their own.  Half the fun is being creative and working on the car.  Then you run into the question...who in their right mind would rent an arrive and drive Lemons car?  Probably the person who can't afford a race school and is afraid to track his daily driver (yes I am profiling).  So he should be allowed to drive along side of teams who spent countless hours on a their cars and have immersed themselves in the process? I'd be bummed if some n00b who rented a car and had zero on track experience ran into me and caused me to get a black flag.  I'd be even more pisses if the n00b took me out. 

With that said...sure let their be "arrive and drive" ...I'd charge each driver $1000.  They're responsible for maintenance (car issues, fuel, tires, pads, etc).  If the want an "all-inclusive" weekend...$2k per driver.  If they drive like a douche and wreck another car...they pay up and re-imburse for the damage $500 *cough*.  I'd "may" have had a different opinion, but after spending the last month and a half working my ass off trying to get a race ready heap-o-shite ready for phx I say charge them a heap o cash to play.  My 2 cents.

I have one driver that logs here. He's awesome. Good wrench and motivated.
He and I  built the car. We were up at 11:30pm Saturday night of our race working on the brakes so we could drive on Sunday.

My other two drivers 'pay to play'.
( if either of you two are reading this, hey! step up! )

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

secretagent wrote:

As a club driver for years ....

Lots of teams with zero track experience build their own car.

Lots of drivers with previous racing experience apply those skills to Lemons and end up with penalties because they drive like it's a club race. At least, that's what Jay and the judges have said.

The skills needed to do well at Lemons don't have that much to do with track driving experience. There is simply too much traffic and too many unpredictable cars. If you haven't been to a race yet, you'll soon see what I mean.

Just my experience / opinion.

Build your car and have fun. Or rent and have fun. Come with zero or track or club or pro racing experience. People can have fun at Lemons in a lot of different ways. The only thing I warn against is being too serious and then getting upset.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I agree with Johnny. Worst thread EVER! Andyshoun has it right and it works well to split COST up fairly. If you want to try to turn it into a for profit business venture then have fun because it will fail. There are plenty of examples out there to support that comment. If you are worried about liability then you need to re-think what you are doing.

Pen