Topic: Lemons racers with other experience

I am in a bit of a discussion on another board with some troll who wants to bad mouth Lemons. An idea which I find comical since the whole point is that we don't take ourselves seriously enough to care, but it brought a question to my mind.
How many of you have competed in other wheel to wheel racing?
This would Include but not be limited to
CVAR, NASA, SCCA, COMMA, PCA, BMWCCA and all of the rest of amature "club racing".
I have done several of these other things and find that Lemons has a good natured competitive bent but with fewer a$$hats. I think that the curse and the nonsense keep them away.
Who can take themselves too seriously when they are beaten by a car called the Metrognome or when you race against a giant armadillo etc.
We are clearly not in this to impress anyone and I think that makes for a better environment.
Back to my point, just curious if you would post up,
1.Have you raced elsewhere?
2.Where?
3.How does Lemons compare?

for example
1. Yes
2. NASA, SCCA, PCA, COMMA
3. Lemons is a cross between COMMA and burning man festival (in a very good way). I love the camaraderie in the pits when everybody pulls together to get a crapcan back on track. I love it. I also love that I can get more than one event out of a set of tires! It is another plus that the tires are not $300 each.

Fear the posing monkey!

2 (edited by X-args 2009-11-09 06:12 PM)

Re: Lemons racers with other experience

This list, give us the name.

Asshattery will not prevail against the mighty Lemons Forum!

We shall uphold the LeMony Honor...

Oh yeah: 10 years of motorcycle roadracing, Lemons '07 was my first car race. Basically, I saw the aftermath of the 2006 Altamont race (the day after) and said 'Got to do that.'

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

1.Yes
2.This was my second year of dirt track racing (in a 4 cyl mini truck)
3.Lemons kicks ass.  Dirt tracking even has its fair share of ass hats that take racing way to seriously. I love dirt track racing too dont get me wrong, but none of our local drivers will dress up for an event..gotta love the Lemons!!!

Oddly this poor misguided soul thinks that were are not competitive because we glue dolls to our cars and have fun. Has this boy never seen Lemons on Sunday afternoon. The back markers are out there having fun and the guys running for the nickles are getting down to it. Is there anyone on the list who does not secretly harbor the hope of the overall win? OR at least a win in the IOE?
As I pointed out to him, all I ever won with anybody else was a lousy store bought trophy. Lemons prizes include cold hard cash!

Fear the posing monkey!

Our trophy we won for Banned Technology at Reno is quite possibly my most prized possession

FreeRange wrote:

Our trophy we won for Banned Technology at Reno is quite possibly my most prized possession

I agree...we pass our IOE around between the 4 drivers like its the Holy Grail. My bro-inlaw said I could take all of his trophies he has dirt trackin,  but keep my paws off the IOE until it was my turn to hold it again...lol.

7 (edited by Serj 2009-11-09 11:04 PM)

lol. alright, I'll bite

1) Yes.

2) OVKA/WKA (Go Karts! I raced with the second-largest club in the US for 4 years. 2-cycles rule!)

3) 5 events into the fray, I'm head over heels addicted. I'll admit to seeking glory, respect, and an overall win, but I try to do it with the unlikely cars. no E30 or Rx7 for this compatriot. Karts was a lot of fun and easier to do (throw a go-kart and all the spares you need in a single minivan) But this is REAL car racing. I don't have to spend 20minutes trying to explain how go-karts is how many pros get their start, or that the g-forces is just like indycar. It's satisfying to know you typically don't have a setup exactly like 30 other guys who also run in your class. being unique and creative to field a car plays to my strong suits and keeps me feasting on mental images of lap after tasty lap, or some ridiculous theme props. And even if I don't win, the fact that i challenged myself and got to BS with other people who aren't afraid to show off their setup makes it wholly satisfying.

It's like the Woodstock of motorsports imo.

1. I have not raced elsewhere but my team members have.
2. I have had plenty to Spec Miata drivers, other former SCCA guys and a PCA guy on my team.
3. The general consensus is the competition is getting much tighter.  It's still a blast.

I've also had less experienced guys, including myself. 

We have a good time but it would be nice to finish better.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We would just like to finsih under our own power. Does that count as finishing better?

Fear the posing monkey!

Solo2 since I was able to put foot to pedal legally, some track days (becoming much more often about due to get a trailer instead of renting one every time I go), Lemons is my first wheel to wheel racing experience

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

I dont know if I qualify as a "Lemons racer" yet, Having done only one Lemons race @ Nelson,  But that's My Plan !

I have been racing Formula Vee for over 30 years in SCCA and EMRA

I Like everything about the Lemons concept of racing

1.Have you raced elsewhere? Not enough to matter.
2.Where? Solo2 events about a decade ago.
3.How does Lemons compare? To me autoX was the "fun-size" candy of motorsports: enough to get a tiny idea of the real taste, but unsatisfying. Lemons is vast fun and the endurance format allows me to enjoy it even though I'm slow -- as long as I'm not crashing or in the penalty box, I'm contributing, right?

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

mr2by4 wrote:

I am in a bit of a discussion on another board with some troll who wants to bad mouth Lemons.

The Baja 1000 OVERALL winner last year has raced a couple Lemons races so far with more to come and also there WILL be a current NASCAR driver racing at a Lemons event very soon, possibly Phoenix. Does that bring enough creditability to Lemons?? smile

Fish wrote:
mr2by4 wrote:

I am in a bit of a discussion on another board with some troll who wants to bad mouth Lemons.

The Baja 1000 OVERALL winner last year has raced a couple Lemons races so far with more to come and also there WILL be a current NASCAR driver racing at a Lemons event very soon, possibly Phoenix. Does that bring enough creditability to Lemons?? smile

I was not looking for credibility, but feedback. Having raced other series and clubs, I was curious if my opinion was in the minority. I find Lemons to provide competitive driving, a festival atmosphere and more camaraderie than ass-hattedness.
It sounds as though many others are of that same opinion and that those features are the main attraction of the race. Along with the possibility to win nickels and an option to race almost any car and do whatever it takes within the budget and safety rules to make it competitive, Lemons is winning over many drivers. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the fact that there is a copy cat/spin off series shows just how much we like it. And we are not alone!

Fear the posing monkey!

mr2by4 wrote:

1.Have you raced elsewhere?
2.Where?
3.How does Lemons compare?

1. no! MSR in October was the first time I'd seen a real track at less than a 45-degree angle.

2. N/A

3. full of win!

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas