Re: What does everyone think of a 94 seville?

Northstar. AJ Foyt drove one to 240mph                     for one lap.  Hell of a motor.

sergio wrote:

Northstar. AJ Foyt drove one to 240mph                     for one lap.  Hell of a motor.

I'm pretty sure a Northstar Cadillac at Lemons would be pretty similar to a Taurus SHO at Lemons: pretty quick... until it blew up. In other words, a great idea! We'd like to see every E30 team switch to a SHO and every RX-7 team switch to a Northstar Caddy, ASAP.

Serj wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

Johhny Judge - please tell me old wise one, how we could cheat? It is a big, porky 4 door Japanese sedan and try as we might, can't get the thing much under 3,000 lbs with the cage.   We just want to FINSIH the race.  LOL!!  Lets see how many Maxima's have been in Lemons before?  Nick claims "zero" so doesn't seem to be the car of choice.  We chose it by default - it was all we could find!!

A) 1997 = Brand new in my book
B) VQ = Cheater!
C) 260 horsepower -- right?
D) Removing 500 pounds will help the massive torque-steer massively
E) See A

Also... I bet your car is one of the seven produced (out of 9 million) with a manual transmission -- right?

97, I'm a bit skeptical too

there's like 5 variants of VQ, this is the first one, the VQ30DE, which didn't produce more than 190hp until 2001(222hp)

there's a fair number of the 4th gens with 5-speeds. if there's 6, you might have a cheater smile

that all being said, the resale is HORRIBLE. mine stickered for almost $29,000 and after 3 years dealers wouldn't give me more than 12k even though i kept detailer in my trunk and waxed it at least every 2 weeks in the summer. a 12yr old one with average milage isn't even worth 3k. keep in mind that the maxima was a stealth hoonage vehicle, so a 5-speed will probably be abused. Also since they're 98% japanese parts, even aftermarket OEM-style replacement stuff is a damn arm and a leg to replace. the "cheap" hood for my car was almost $600, and a cracked fascia? it's all one piece, so that's another ding. a good curbing and congrats, you're under a thousand bucks at the shady corner gas station-turned dealership

just sayin'. I'd like to hear the story on it. smile

Hang on there, sailor -- me thinks the VQ made more power than that.

I seem to remember my mother's 2001 making something like 260 hp.

That said, I think you're right -- 1997 was "only" 190 hp

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

29 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-11-10 10:07 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

That said, I think you're right -- 1997 was "only" 190 hp

Yes, 190 according to the Standard Catalog. If they've got it down to 2,800 pounds or so they'll have about the same power-to-weight as a typical LeMons-prepped Fox Mustang... with a suspension that's about 4,900 times more sophisticated and brakes that make the Mustang's seem like that little lever that scraped on your Big Wheel's rear wheel when you were 7. The front-wheel-drive setup won't be a real-world handicap as long as they keep tires on it. This car could very well run away with the race, so the Lemons Supreme Court will need to be extra vigilant when it rolls into the BS Inspection.

Still, it's a Japanese luxury car, and we like Japanese luxury cars in Lemons. A great theme (i.e., Eyesore Racing or Cajun Jihad quality) would go a long, long way toward making the judges smile on this entry. 10 days to go!

30 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-11-10 10:56 PM)

Actually it is the base GXE model, the 190 horse one, it is a stick (5sp), the previous owner did install some relatively soft but lower Tein springs and a weird combination of mis-matched adjustable shocks (NOT coilovers, I wish), but no upgrade to the anti-roll bar or bushings.?? most odd indeed to install springs and shocks and that's it. yes the car was $500 I let the previous owner strip stuff out to sell but NOT the drivers seat.  I sold that, plus the cat a domelight, some power window motors and switches and the full sized spare and some other misc items. 

It came with a cone air filter and "meatier" exhaust. The previous owner needed the money and when he found out what I was doing he was happy to see his car "go out in style"in fact he is quite the artist with the paint can and has volunteered to paint the thing.  The front is pretty smashed up and the hood is bent up so all we can use is hood pins to get it to shut, we removed the grill and lights and other misc items (ie. the A/C evaporator) to get it to work.  It has over 230K miles, leaks oil and frankly I'm worried about the clutch, head gasket, etc.  who knows.  As to weight we'll know Saturday when we weigh it after final mods (i.e belts, kill switch, final brake mods etc.) Saturday is our last work day and hopefully we can get it down under 3,000 lbs, but the cage was built quite stout by a proven Lemons cage builder, so who knows where the final weight will be.

I found another set of wheels on Craigslist so we have some decent but curb rashed wheels + a set of 350Z wheels that it came with.  We're not changing the brakes, just new pads, turn the rotors and brake ducts.  I've read about a ton of brake mods we could do, but we don't want to spend the money, we're CHEAP.

It is still a relatively heavy 4 door front wheel drive car and looking at all the BMW's, RX-7's, Miata's, MR-2's and other lighter rear wheel drive cars on the entry list I doubt we have snow balls chance where the boogie man lives to "run away" with the event, really.  Our 4 man team has a combined age of over 200 years so that is another problem we're a bunch of old, fat, hard or hearing AND seeing drivers,  We're out to have fun and just don't want to embarrass ourselves.  We want to FINISH the event, for us, THAT would be a victory!!

ifb_mole wrote:

Actually it is the base GXE model... bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit... It is still a relatively heavy 4 door front wheel drive car.

I'm totally looking forward to inspecting this car. Like I said, do a good theme and everything will be easier for you!

Honorable Judge Martin,

I'm getting the feeling you think I'm shoveling bull feces about the car.  Really it has seen its better days.  Our theme was interesting enough to get our application accepted, so I guess we'll see ya at inspection time.

ifb_mole wrote:

Our 4 man team has a combined age of over 200 years so that is another problem we're a bunch of old, fat, hard or hearing AND seeing drivers,  We're out to have fun and just don't want to embarrass ourselves.  We want to FINISH the event, for us, THAT would be a victory!!

Um, I'm thinking that Dan Mairani is one of your drivers... at least he told me he driving on a Maxima team and you're the only Maxima on the dance-card.

Now, he may be fat, old, hard of hearing and seeing (but don't tell him I said that, he'll kick my ass)  but he can DRIVE!     He finishes on or near the podium in nearly every SM race.....       Not that there's anything wrong with hot-shoes... The Scuderia Flat-Pack V8olvo drivers line up is strong on SM goodness.......

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

ifb_mole wrote:

Honorable Judge Martin,

I'm getting the feeling you think I'm shoveling bull feces about the car.  Really it has seen its better days.  Our theme was interesting enough to get our application accepted, so I guess we'll see ya at inspection time.

You'll also be seeing me at inspection time -- remember, Murilee's the nice Judge.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Man, I love me some judicial button-pushing!

Pass the popcorn, please.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I love our judges.
They are so kind and fair.

Wise decisions and decrees made with such forethought.
Even if we, in our shortsightedness, should disagree with their infallible rulings, it always proves out that they had our best interests at heart...

sniff, sniff.

I need a minute to compose myself...

How did we find ourselves before such nobility?

( don't penalize me )

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

KT -- you're MMHTTOG*

*(Much More Hosed Than The Other Guys)

Yup Dan Mairani is one of our drivers, we labeled him "the Stig" since the rest of us have no where near the talent of him, we need all the help we can get and if we can get the talent of Dan for 90 min each day, we'll take him, Now as for "old and fat" I was refering more to me than my team mates, so I might as well throw in "bald" and "near sighted" and "going deaf" for me, the others guys, I dunno.

Dan also has been subtly wanting us to spend MORE money on bigger and better brakes, more brand new tires, a new clutch (we can't takes us over $500 cap) and "lets cut the towers to get more camber"  the guy wants it to be a friggen RACE CAR!! He could tell the diff, I doubt the rest of us could, like I said I want to have fun and just finish the race and that will be a victory for us.

You really should listen to Dan.  You'll be more likely to achieve your goal of finishing the race with good brakes, good tires, and an alignment that allows your tires to last more than a couple hours.

The men in black robes won't even blink at your brakes or tires.  They'll glance at your cut towers and applaud your creativity.  Now, if you show up with a really stiff suspension and no clear and believable documentation as to how it came to be that way... then you might have a problem.

But, if your goal is just to finish, they'll still LET you finish!  Maybe with a few penalty laps.  If you're not chasing the nickels, what does it matter?

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Tein Coilovers on the Maxima?!!  CHEATERS!!!!  You could sell those alone on ebay for about $400! Plus you have race spec exhaust and a souped up intake system?!!!

I forsee..... 375 penalty laps in your future!

They are NOT coilovers, they are Tein springs on the stock perches and you can tell they have been in there a LONG time. I called Tein and they said those springs are only about 250 LB springs,  I wanted to cut them but the team mates didn't want to.

The shocks, well they are mis-matched adjustable.  The fronts have 4 settings on the very top of the shock, the rears are AGX with a knob on the bottom with 8 settings.  All this stuff you can tell has been in the car a long time, no BS. It isn't that stiff with 250 lbs springs that's why I wanted to cut them but since the car is lower by 2" the team concensus was to leave them as is.  The exhaust is  just an after market free flowing canister looking muffler.  It is quieter than I thought, we cut out the cat and added a connector pipe.  My buddy that is doing the work had a spare piece lying around so we cut it and put it in.  The intake FILTER has been changed from the one in the box to a cone style, again you can tell that all this stuff has been on the car for awhile. It isn't a "trick intake" the previous owner changed the filter style thats all.

We definately listen to Dan, but we dont want to spend gobs of money on brand new shaved tires on a friggen Maxima that leaks oil with 230K miles!!  He said Thunderhill shouldn't be too hard on brakes so if we have top notch pads, good rotors and brake cooling we should be fine.

I did find some good used ones with decent tread life still left, in fact it looks like we will be starting the race with 4 different tires from 4 different manufactures!!  We sprung for a brand new tire for the right front since it gets the most abuse at Thunderhill on a front wheel drive car.  we should have 2 full sets of mounted tires, sure they are used, but in perfect shape for a Lemons race anyway.

I suppose if I KNEW the car could make it mechanically, springing for  bigger and better brakes and more brand new tires would be in the plan, but since we dont know it can even make it, we want to get the best value for the dollar spent.  Who wants to spend several hundres of dollars on new tires and better brakes when the car pukes its guts out before you can even use them??  I dont

Can't wait to see the Judge's take on all these race parts on this "crap heap". lol

Good pads and fluid with some cooling ducts should do you for brakes on a lightened Maxima, no doubt.  Don't screw around with tires, though.  You don't need the best tires on the planet, and you don't need to shave them, but DO invest in new tires.  Just do it.

I know you don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on tires for a car that might crap out in 10 laps... likewise, you don't want to NOT have the good tires when you find that the car IS capable of running for hours on end and your mismatched used tires aren't up to the task!  The result could be anything from blown out sidewalls to terminal tread separation to just plain recklessness on the track due to lack of grip.  Get new tires.  This has all been said before.

Disney wrote:

Tein Coilovers on the Maxima?!!  CHEATERS!!!!  You could sell those alone on ebay for about $400! Plus you have race spec exhaust and a souped up intake system?!!!

I forsee..... 375 penalty laps in your future!

now that we're totally off-topic and discussing the Maxima; Exhaust after your headers is considered safety and non-budget constrained. "Souped up" intakes are 90% useless, and a large contingent of them actually route the intake to an area that would make the car suck water at the first puddle, or one of my faves, take the air that's between the rad and headers and use that. it's pretty hilarious in how bad some are. it's been confirmed by people who were morbidly curious by dyno runs that a GAB(ghetto air box) gets better gains than a chintzy CAI, plus it's free. If anything, the ricer intake will hurt them.

Tiens, yeah, they're expensive, but they suck anyway. Eibachs or H&Rs cost half as much and usually do the job better. if there's 50,000mi on them they're probably sagging to hell anyway. If you're so scared about it, I already have talked to them and am offering my stock springs from my 03(don't own the car anymore, just the springs) to them.

oh, if you're concerned about Tire Costs, get some Fuzion ZRis and/or some Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs. they're cheap, and likable performance. at least with a matched set you shouldn't have issues going the distance. I tell you what, email me your shipping info, I'll ship you the springs and you decide if you wanna use'em. IF you don't just pay for my shipping costs and send'em back. If you do we'll work something out from the sale of those Tiens tongue

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I just got the Seville.  I will be trying to enter in the June 19th Summit Point race.  Team Pimpalicious is in da House.

Now about the points I get from the judges for my pimptastic choice....

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I just got the Seville.  I will be trying to enter in the June 19th Summit Point race.  Team Pimpalicious is in da House.

Now about the points I get from the judges for my pimptastic choice....

pics plskthnx smile

Judge Jonny wrote:

KT -- you're MMHTTOG*

*(Much More Hosed Than The Other Guys)

Dang it!!

( hosed is always bad, right? )

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Depends if you like that sort of thing...

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

ifb_mole wrote:

They are NOT coilovers, they are Tein springs on the stock perches and you can tell they have been in there a LONG time. I called Tein and they said those springs are only about 250 LB springs,  I wanted to cut them but the team mates didn't want to.

The shocks, well they are mis-matched adjustable.  The fronts have 4 settings on the very top of the shock, the rears are AGX with a knob on the bottom with 8 settings.  All this stuff you can tell has been in the car a long time, no BS. It isn't that stiff with 250 lbs springs that's why I wanted to cut them but since the car is lower by 2" the team concensus was to leave them as is.  The exhaust is  just an after market free flowing canister looking muffler.  It is quieter than I thought, we cut out the cat and added a connector pipe.  My buddy that is doing the work had a spare piece lying around so we cut it and put it in.  The intake FILTER has been changed from the one in the box to a cone style, again you can tell that all this stuff has been on the car for awhile. It isn't a "trick intake" the previous owner changed the filter style thats all.

We definately listen to Dan, but we dont want to spend gobs of money on brand new shaved tires on a friggen Maxima that leaks oil with 230K miles!!  He said Thunderhill shouldn't be too hard on brakes so if we have top notch pads, good rotors and brake cooling we should be fine.

I did find some good used ones with decent tread life still left, in fact it looks like we will be starting the race with 4 different tires from 4 different manufactures!!  We sprung for a brand new tire for the right front since it gets the most abuse at Thunderhill on a front wheel drive car.  we should have 2 full sets of mounted tires, sure they are used, but in perfect shape for a Lemons race anyway.

I suppose if I KNEW the car could make it mechanically, springing for  bigger and better brakes and more brand new tires would be in the plan, but since we dont know it can even make it, we want to get the best value for the dollar spent.  Who wants to spend several hundres of dollars on new tires and better brakes when the car pukes its guts out before you can even use them??  I dont

Get tires, get tires, get tires....

Um, you need tires...    some 200 wear rated tires will go a LONG way to making your whip actually make it around the track...       You can get 'em for around $100 a corner, or $100 per driver, add two for spares (right front) and your budget goes up by $150 per driver.  Well worth it for a much better driving experience... And the Judges will not care.... not at all.   

Tires-

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'