Re: What does everyone think of a 94 seville?

Yeah, don't cheap out on tires. You don't want those mystery used tires to blow out on you and/or make you crash.

52 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-11-11 04:40 PM)

A tire with 50% tread  isn't good? I have read that full groove tires over heat and can "chunk" so that's why you get shaved tires so if I get GOOD performance used tires with 50%+ tread isn't that the same thing for 25% of the cost ?

A tire with 50% tread that was manufactured WHEN?  And has seen what kind of mysterious abuse in the first half of its life?

Nobody here is going to agree that you should race with used tires.  And nobody here is suggesting that you should shave your tires.  Just pay attention to what tires people are recommending... if several people are recommending the same tire model (Hankook RS2, or Falken Azenis for instance), it's because it's been proven in one or more Lemons races.

But, if you REALLY want to risk your $3,000 investment in a "$500 race car" and your $1000 in entry fees, plus all of your hard work and travel expenses to save $300 on tires... go for it, man.  I promise, nobody will laugh and say "I told you so" after they tow your car out of the tire wall.  (well, Judge Phil might... in fact, he almost definitely will...)

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Ok ok, I'm picking up more new tires some Falkens 615

ifb_mole wrote:

Ok ok, I'm picking up more new tires some Falkens 615

Sweet, well done, see you on track.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Six new Falken Azenis here!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

If only I'd learned to be so persuasive in my teen years.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We like good tires and brakes.

59 (edited by Serj 2009-11-11 07:14 PM)

reminds me of an OLD commercial for cable TV. one of the parts was a "rather stay at home watching movies" moment when a guy show up at this woman's house and says "Honey, You look finer than a new set of snow tires!" (add a country twang and say it out loud, you'll definitely laf).

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Depends if you like that sort of thing...

I probably don't...

Oh Judges, with high authority, please find favor in our bribe...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

dood, nobody likes a kiss-ass.

...should i have you fitted with a snorkel? or maybe SCUBA gear?

trekkor wrote:

Six new Falken Azenis here!

KT

Color us shocked.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

trekkor wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

Depends if you like that sort of thing...

I probably don't...

Oh Judges, with high authority, please find favor in our bribe...

KT

It had better be cash-money -- let's just leave it at that.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Somehow the Cadi thread went to a Maxima, tire and brake thread.

Well, the LeMonZine has the joyous 4100.  The 4.1 was replaced by the oh so improved 4.5.  Followed by the powerful yet delicate Northstar.  All of them have longevity issues yet we have an Aurora with a Northstar based V8 with 300,000+ miles.  So some can hold up.  The Limo has 80 something thousand and it's got it's issues.  Basically all these set-ups have nice torque and a Land Yacht load of technical issues. 

On the Maxima issue, I've got a 3rd gen 4DSC model.  The VG30 is heavier and less powerful the the VQ30.  Suspension parts are also more expensive than a 4th gen.  When I was redoing/upgrading my cars suspension, I rememebr the 4th gen stuff was way cheaper and I think TienS springs were way cheaper then Eibachs for my car.

A while back I cam across most of a 912 Porsche for $200-300.  So I looked for a front driver manual transaxle we could try and stuff in the back.  I found a 4 gen Maxima with a 5 speed for $200-300 a well.  The Porsche was gone when I got there, maybe it was divine intervention.  Would have been a very crazy project.

Regarding tires, the logic about wear compared to shaving just doesn't work.  I am not sure why but I think it has more to do with heat cycling.  Supposedly, shaved tires stay cooler and last longer than their unshaved counterpart.  That said, shaved tires don't seem very common in Lemons.

Good brakes will help.  My first experience with what the track does to brakes was from my Maxima.  I had fresh fluid Valvoline synthetic fluid, Hawk pans on good rotors.  After a weekend DE, a rear caliper started leaking.  A few 20 minute sessions resulted in a leaky caliper.  So I'd imagine that if I had been doing a race like Lemons, it would have failed during the race.

Phil, if you can get me a cage for a first gen Maxima thorough your connections, I'll take care of the car.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The reason shaved tires are supposed to be better is because the deeper the tread the more it flexes.  The more it flexes the more heat it generates in the tire.  The hotter the tires get the quicker the die.

Of course shaving is different from wearing them down to the shaved depth.  Shaving is having a machine cut it off new tires.  Wearing themdown means they've been out on the car getting used daily, heat cycling and sitting in the sun and all the things that destroy the rubber.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

So the best part is I just checked out my new 425 dollar caddy, and it is fixed with a 9 dollar thermostat, no head gasket problems.

SWEEEEEET

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

You paid $425 for a Crap-O-Lac, you were robbed.

They were happy to have haul away the LeMonZine. 

Unfortunately, a $9 thermostat did not fix it.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Wait till I haul the nickles away in West Virginia.  June 19th baby here we come.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:
Troy wrote:

Wait till I haul the nickles away in West Virginia.  June 19th baby here we come.

One can always dream............

Disney wrote:

Tein Coilovers on the Maxima?!!  CHEATERS!!!!  You could sell those alone on ebay for about $400! Plus you have race spec exhaust and a souped up intake system?!!!

I forsee..... 375 penalty laps in your future!

With Tein springs and KYB shocks they should be given bonus laps

More than you can afford, pal. Daihatsu.
AFAP TH '09 - 95th
ASAP TH '10 - 34th - 1st Class C "Ugly"

Judge Jonny wrote:

It had better be cash-money -- let's just leave it at that.

How about a fiver? http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif

KT