Topic: K-car post-Northworst cross-country zig-zag.

So, I propose a gentle shortcut, er, um, detour.

I can pick up the car from Olympia the weekend after the race and drive it over to DC. I'm sure my sister wouldn't smack me too hard if one of you drives it over to her place in Seattle and leaves it there for a week, for me to pick up.

The next weekend after that, I'll either enter the car at NJMP myself, or get on a team that would race it.

The following month the car will sit in DC, getting reliability improvements, spares, and maybe some extra paint here and there.

Afterwards, a week before Thunderhill, I'll drive it straight to CA, non-stop, then get on a plane home. I'll come back a week later and race the everliving crap out of it, again, either as my own team or with somebody else.

Then, right after the race, I'll fix up the car, drive it to Houston while enjoying some sight-seeing, drop it off, and either get on a plane to Charleston, or catch a ride with one of the teams going to CMP, to join my team in Kershaw (racing our own retarded crapcan, for a change).

Does that sound like a good plan? If so, let's work out the details.

K Car Stalker

Re: K-car post-Northworst cross-country zig-zag.

You should seek professional help, Alex. wink

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

K it Forward:

March: CMP NSF
April: Monticello, Gingerman Sputnic // NMF cabinboy
May: ECR  Tetanus
June: BFEGP at HPR, 4 weeks to get it to Buttonwillow  Brandon // OPEN

July: the Ridge  // Chris 0 & W-34  Drive across the USA - visiting Lemons teams HQ's & Photo whoring

Aug: NJMP // ALEX Drive across the USA - visiting Lemons teams HQ's & Photo whoring

Sept: Thunderhill, then 2 weeks to get to Houston  ALEX // EVR SpaceFrank

Oct: nap.
Nov: Road America  Maverick74
Dec: Season-ender at Chuckwalla  SPANK

This space for rent.

IS this what you want?  Let me know.  I'll post it on the official page...

This space for rent.

firegremlin wrote:

Does that sound like a good plan?

Absolutely.

When you drive it straight from DC to CA, make sure you leave yourself at least a couple hours to spare before you have to get on the plane.  Wouldn't want to risk missing your flight because something unforeseen occurs en route.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

I'll cover your air fair costs and kick in some bucks.  Set up a Paypal account so we can all help fund your journey.

b

This space for rent.

Maybe I should take two weeks off starting a week before Thunderhill, and going forward until CMP. This way I can drive down to Florida, hang out there for a bit, then drive out west, without being in a terrible rush. Less flying, more partying!

Is NSF HQ anywhere close to Jacksonville?

Important: I need a team in Seattle area to volunteer prepping the car for the first leg of its journey (and dropping it off at my sister's place). I'll come with very few tools, and this is the only part of the journey that's on a truly tight schedule, so I really need this thing to work when I'll get to Seattle. Otherwise, I'll be counting on Chris making it reliable and not killing it during the race.

K Car Stalker

NSFIRHQ is about 2.5 hours south of Jacksonville, but it's a straight shot down I-95. I live about 40 minutes west of HQ. DC Doug lives at HQ.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Ok, here it is:

Approximate tour map

All but the last leg of the journey will be done in the K-car; I'm thinking of taking a small motorcycle and bolting it to the roof when I head out to Florida. That way, if I break down in the middle of nowhere I can use the bike to go get parts, and I have a neat 80mpg ride for the trip to SC.

Assuming OK-ish highway mileage, this will run anywhere between $1500 and $2500 in gas and another $200 or so in oil, which is downright affordable for a 2-week cross-country vacation big_smile In fact, this is probably cheaper than some teams' transportation costs for a single race. Our first race was a good bit over a grand in diesel fuel and truck rental fees alone.

I will probably need used tire donations, though. I have 4 15" 205-wide Direzzas on old Stanza wheels that I can reuse, that's my only stock. I'd rather not buy any more new tires this season.

If someone can put in a stock K-car seat (light-colored cloth, please, no LeBaron leather) for the passenger, I'm set.

K Car Stalker

5x100 bolt pattern, right?

I have some old but practically unused Dunlop DZ101s that came on the Dart. 185-75-13s on a 5x4" bolt pattern that you could burn up on the highway to save the race tires. 101.6mm vs 100mm, what's the difference?

See, we kept the stock radio in there for a reason!

We should also populate the map with friendly places.  NSF can cover the I-10 coridor from Jacksonville to Texas.

This space for rent.

i've still got all the stock wheels and various sized tires the K came to me with (except the D-shaped one). brandon didn't want them, but i've not torn them down yet.

if you can talk brandon into coming thru OKC on his way to High Plains, I can throw them back into the car/into his tow rig.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

That sounds like an excellent plan.

So would that leave me doing TX -HPR HPR -TX. TX -BUTTON. BUTTON TO BAY area??

Who wants to run at Buttonwillow?

51 time Loser.

NSF wrote:

We should also populate the map with friendly places.  NSF can cover the I-10 coridor from Jacksonville to Texas.

As much as I'm hoping to keep the K-car out of my life, Terminally Confused can provide assistance from Georgia to the NC/VA border.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Alex: Don't be surprised if I start whining for a bunch of measurements so EVR can make a light bar for Houston while you're on your epic journey! And thanks for solving all of that, I was starting to get worried.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

firegremlin wrote:

Important: I need a team in Seattle area to volunteer prepping the car for the first leg of its journey (and dropping it off at my sister's place). I'll come with very few tools, and this is the only part of the journey that's on a truly tight schedule, so I really need this thing to work when I'll get to Seattle. Otherwise, I'll be counting on Chris making it reliable and not killing it during the race.

We can probably lend a hand.  We're about 2 hours from the track, 35 minutes to downtown Seattle.  Caveat:  We probably don't have the time/patience to do a motor swap post race, but we do have a shop with a lift and lots and lots of good tools.  A minor refresh post-race is probably no problem, but if the car's broken in half we'll need reinforcements.  Shoot me an e-mail and let me know what you have in mind. 

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

CaptainCardigan wrote:

Alex: Don't be surprised if I start whining for a bunch of measurements so EVR can make a light bar for Houston while you're on your epic journey! And thanks for solving all of that, I was starting to get worried.

i drove it at night with just the stock lights on the highway, and it wasn't too bad. probably just needs some quality sealed beam replacements for track duty.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Ya, lights under the hood might serve you better.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

Ya, lights under the hood might serve you better.

-chortle-; Good point.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

I think you are missing a photo op going through N Dakota instead of S Dakota. This beauty needs a picture at Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Wall Drug.

But seriously, instead of bolting a motorcycle to the roof;
http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca … 90154.html

I bought one 6 years ago, hauled a bike from OK to Georgia with my Mazda. It moved bikes from CO to OK, has moved cars shells and host of other stupid things including junkyard engines a a lathe once. Fold up in the back of a garage when not being used. I built it in my driveway and used scrap wood to put the first floor in it.

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy

Mental wrote:

I think you are missing a photo op going through N Dakota instead of S Dakota. This beauty needs a picture at Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Wall Drug.

I bought one 6 years ago, hauled a bike from OK to Georgia with my Mazda. It moved bikes from CO to OK, has moved cars shells and host of other stupid things including junkyard engines a a lathe once. Fold up in the back of a garage when not being used. I built it in my driveway and used scrap wood to put the first floor in it.

I agree with the photo ops. Great idea.

Those trailers are a great idea. I had one for years. Helped a friend move from Chicago to Florida when he went to college. Made that round trip several times with no problems. We built a 4 foot tall box out of plywood for ours.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Mental wrote:

Agreed. I should totally have my citizenship revoked for asking this, but: educate me as to where the K-car should go for sightseeing/picture-taking opportunities, and I'll get it there.

K Car Stalker

If you detour your J to K route through OKC it only adds an hour of drive time.  You should swing through, time permitting.

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

You've obviously got about a dozen places to crash when you come through Houston.

cabinboy wrote:
Mental wrote:

I agree with the photo ops. Great idea.

Those trailers are a great idea. I had one for years. Helped a friend move from Chicago to Florida when he went to college. Made that round trip several times with no problems. We built a 4 foot tall box out of plywood for ours.

Or one of these... http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-rec … 99721.html (on sale!).

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1